TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Scheduled Presentation 8/11/2019 - Grande Ocean

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by StevenTing, Aug 4, 2019.

1. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    They were formerly called Explorer Packages. They are now also called Encore Packages.

In mid-July, I was offered the following Encore Package at Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas:
    • 4 nights in a Studio Villa
    • 18 months to use the package
    • 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy points
    • $199 down payment
    • $994 payment at time of reservation

CPNY likes this.
  2. kds4

kds4 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Weeks and DC Points
    We also have a couple of enrolled resale weeks.

3. kds4

kds4 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Weeks and DC Points
    And right now they're 2 for $3. :D

[​IMG]

4. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott:
    Maui Ocean Club
    Waiohai Beach Club
    Barony Beach Club
    Destination Club Trust
    HGVC:
    HGVC at Sea World
    I can't argue with your valuation of 200K Bonvoy points or the GO nights, so the total of those two are $2500. But I think the 2300 VC points should be valued at what you could rent the same amount of points for on VPE, so maybe $0.65/point max. That values the 2300 points at just under $1500, so that would imply the value is more like $4000 than $5000. The only caveat to that is the VPE rented points are only usable in one use year, but the 2300 VC bonus points have a two-year window, so they are more valuable than VPE points. Hard to put a $$ value on that, though. So, $4000 is probably the minimum you should value it at, and maybe it might be worth a little more due to the 2-year usage window.

5. Big Matt

Big Matt TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I'm looking at it the opposite way. Here's an example. Surfwatch 3BR garden view for five nights checking in on Sunday, April 26 costs you 1875 VC points. Paying cash via Marriott web site costs you $2278 plus tax. I'm cheap and try to do the Sunday - Thursday to maximize my points. I'm sure there are other examples. Your example is probably the worst way to use those free points.

6. Fasttr

Fasttr TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Ocean
    MVC Trust Points
    2 views from different angles. Jim's is based on what it would cost to acquire those points (cost based) and Matt's is based on what value could be gotten for those points if he had them (end use based). Both valid, just different ways to look at putting a value on the transaction.

7. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott:
    Maui Ocean Club
    Waiohai Beach Club
    Barony Beach Club
    Destination Club Trust
    HGVC:
    HGVC at Sea World
    As Fasttr noted, I'm not talking about using the points by renting the points to someone else to get the money. I agree that's a poor use of DC points (unless you have more than you can use). What I'm saying is the economic value of something is what it would cost to buy the exact same thing somewhere else. Imbedded somewhere in the OP's pitched $3299 Encore cost is the value of those DC points. What I'm saying is, if someone wanted 2300 DC points, they could go on VPE and rent them for maybe $1400 to $1500 instead of buying the Encore package, so that is the maximum value that should be attributed to them in evaluating the package. In other words, you could still exchange those 2300 points that cost you $1400 to $1500 on VPE for that week worth $2500 in your original example, but they would only have cost you the $1400 to $1500, not $2500. IMHO, what should be evaluated is not what value you can get out of that 2300 points, but if it is more cost effective to acquire them as part of the Encore or just to buy them on VPE.

BreakingAway and CalGalTraveler like this.
  8. GregT

GregT TUG Member TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, DC Points HGVC: HHV Lagoon, Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, Aulani, Worldmark
    Steven, that is great information -- really interesting to read. I will be curious to see what finally gets rolled out and then we will dissect it. Thanks again!

Best,

Greg

9. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
    Jim, You'd make a bad salesman with this example. :cool:

They never explain what it would cost to acquire what they are selling elsewhere, only what "value" you can get for what they are selling. As you point out, they both get you the same thing (except the 2yrs), just at different acquisition costs.

10. Big Matt

Big Matt TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I get your point. I was assuming that you valued the points based on what you could get from renting them out (not buying them).

11. NTP66

NTP66 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
    My parents were at Grande Ocean last week, and didn't have quite the same experience. The first two salespeople offered 4 days/3 nights at GO for $1599, and 1500 DP, good for two years. They wanted to combine everything in 2021 so the entire family could come down in two units. After a few hours, the third salesman came in and basically said that everything they were told was wrong and that they wouldn't honor what the other two stated. Needless to say, they were furious with both the entire process and how much time was wasted because of this.

12. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott:
    Maui Ocean Club
    Waiohai Beach Club
    Barony Beach Club
    Destination Club Trust
    HGVC:
    HGVC at Sea World
    Not sure what you mean by "They wanted to combine everything in 2021..." and exactly what did the first salespeople promise that the third said wouldn't work?

13. NTP66

NTP66 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    That they could combine the 4 days and points for a full week at GO either next year or 2021. They received virtually the same offer back in 2016 and opted for it, so this wouldn’t exactly have been new territory.

14. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott:
    Maui Ocean Club
    Waiohai Beach Club
    Barony Beach Club
    Destination Club Trust
    HGVC:
    HGVC at Sea World
    Why did they say that couldn't be done? Would the 1500 points have been enough for the three additional nights? Why couldn't they make two reservations? The 4-night package then a 3-night points reservation.

15. NTP66

NTP66 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    They said they wouldn't combine the two consecutively, allowing for the full week to be used on one reservation. I assume that 1500 points is good enough for the balance on a GO Courtyard/Oceanside/Whatever they want to call non-oceanfront today unit.

16. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott:
    Maui Ocean Club
    Waiohai Beach Club
    Barony Beach Club
    Destination Club Trust
    HGVC:
    HGVC at Sea World
    I would agree that they couldn't be combined into a single reservation - it would have to be two - but then when room assignment time comes, usually they have been able to allow both reservations to be in the same unit.

17. NTP66

NTP66 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    I guess so, but this is nothing more than bait and switch given how the first two salespeople confirmed what they wanted to do (and have done in the past).