• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Royal Vista and Pompano Beach availability

north

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I logged on to my Wyndham account today, I got this alert regarding Royal Vista:
"Travel
As a result of Hurricane Irma, some amenities at Wyndham Royal Vista may not be fully restored during your stay. Please contact the resort for additional information."

I hope this only applies to the amenities and that the resort will open on time after the published renovations.

There is another thread about the damages at Sea Gardens (https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/sea-gardens-damage.263938/). When I go to ExtraHolidays to look at the Pompano Beach resorts, all 4 of them has this message:
"This resort i currently not accepting new reservations through Mar. 15, 2018"

If you already have a reservation at one of the Pompano Beach resorts that you would like to use before March 2018, you should not try to cancel/rebook it to get a discount or change the number of days.

NHTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I logged on to my Wyndham account today, I got this alert regarding Royal Vista:
"Travel
As a result of Hurricane Irma, some amenities at Wyndham Royal Vista may not be fully restored during your stay. Please contact the resort for additional information."

Same message I got this morning about my January Sea Garden reservation. So I just called the resort and asked what amenities would most likely not be available. The lady responded that the activities center may not be open and the tiki bar is closed. I repeated, "So the tiki bar is closed?". She stated it no longer was there...that Irma took it.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Same message for Wyndham Santa Barbara. I have January reservations at Royal Vista and Santa Barbara.

I'm not super-familiar with Sea Gardens but I didn't know there was a vulnerable tiki bar there. Royal Vista, yes, definitely.

NHTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same message for Wyndham Santa Barbara. I have January reservations at Royal Vista and Santa Barbara.

I'm not super-familiar with Sea Gardens but I didn't know there was a vulnerable tiki bar there. Royal Vista, yes, definitely.

Sea Gardens tiki bar was not near the beach. It was across the street and between buildings. Some days that I have been there the breezes tunnel through between the buildings. I always thought it was pretty rugged, but i guess it wasn't able to sustain high winds for an extended period of time.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
That's what I thought -- across the street from the beach. I interpreted "Irma took it" to mean Irma washed it away, not blew it away.

God forbid that the tiki bar at Royal Vista gets washed/blown away. The local regulars would have to find someplace else to hang out.

NHTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
God forbid that the tiki bar at Royal Vista gets washed/blown away. The local regulars would have to find someplace else to hang out.

All the times I have been to RV, the regulars are pretty much the people using it.

north

TUG Member
Reaction score
Royal Vista now shows this message:
"Due to the impact of Hurricane Irma, Wyndham Royal Vista is currently closed for refurbishments through Feb. 1, 2018. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience as we work to restore this resort property. For questions, please contact Owner Services at 800-251-8736."

jaygould

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a confirmed two-week reservation in unit 416 on the top floor of the Waterfalls unit starting Nov 4 (tomorrow). On Oct 26, 10 days before my reservation was to start, I got an e-mail from Wyndham cancelling my reservation due to storm damage and returning 125% of the points involved to my account. I am currently staying at Canada House, just a few blocks north on A1A. Yesterday I walked down the beach to Sea Gardens. There were a few people around each pool. They have set up a small tiki bar which had a few customers at 4PM. There were a lot of workers in hazmat suits working in Waterfalls and a lot of banging and drilling going on in the Ocean Palms building. Surprisingly, particularly since the original tiki bar blew away, none of the trees and plantings in the Waterfalls area seemed to be disturbed, but all five of the palm trees in front of Ocean Palms were missing. I checked at the front desk and was told that they don't plan to be back in full operation till February.
I also wandered into Royal Vista earlier in the week. Apparently, they had planned a full renovation and had closed the resort weeks before the storm came. I was told they will stay completely closed till February. I also wandered into Santa Barbara but there was no one in the lobby to talk to. There were no cars in the garage and no one at the pool, just some workers in a bucket lift repairing cracks in the exterior wall and workers coming out the front door to patronize the coffee-break truck.
One thing that has me wondering is the fact that where we are currently staying is an oceanfront timeshare unit eleven blocks north of Sea Gardens in a small resort which is fully occupied and suffered NO storm damage other than getting sand in its swimming pool.

north

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jimfisk, thank you for the update.

I think it is very bad practice to cancel 10 days ahead of the stay, but it is good that Wyndhan gives a small compensation of 25% extra points. I have several reservations for December at RV. I wonder how far out they will cancel those, and if I will be able to find somewhere else to stay.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing that has me wondering is the fact that where we are currently staying is an oceanfront timeshare unit eleven blocks north of Sea Gardens in a small resort which is fully occupied and suffered NO storm damage other than getting sand in its swimming pool.

This also has me wondering.

We own at the Hollywood Sands, an old ocean front resort. Just minor damage and sand. The windows and doors are hurricane proof that were replaced in 2006 after Wilma. The roof was replaced about 4 years ago.

We have weeks 3 and 7 reserved in Ocean Palms at Sea Gardens. I hope they are ready by then.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
This also has me wondering.

We own at the Hollywood Sands, an old ocean front resort. Just minor damage and sand. The windows and doors are hurricane proof that were replaced in 2006 after Wilma. The roof was replaced about 4 years ago.

We have weeks 3 and 7 reserved in Ocean Palms at Sea Gardens. I hope they are ready by then.

In reply to both of you, yes many resorts received storm damage but their owners choose not to do a full repair. Our DS works for a major North American restoration company and currently running jobs in Texas and southern Florida. One of his big jobs is a very well known hotel on the SE coast of FL that had recent hurricane damage. When DS was looking at the damage, which was more extensive than the property maintenance thought, he discovered there is major mould throughout the whole building from years of previous damage. The owner of the property told DS he just wanted the visible damage repaired and that his maintenance guys would continue to paint over the mould in the guest rooms & hallways every week or so when it bled through. He didn't care that mould is a health issue for his guests! Sadly it's all about the money.

~Diane

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
yee .. the magical date is February for ALL those Wyndham resorts?

And what about ALL those highrise condos on the beach near Santa Barbara? And the condos on the beach by Sea Gardens? The North and South Oceanview buildings .. the one TOTALLY trashed years ago and REBUILT to hurricane rated building codes?

Santa Barbara was rebuilt to hurricane codes? Cost owners a BIG special assessment and was CLOSED for 2+ years!

In South Florida, a totally refurbish beach front small condo would sell for a $1MM PLUS ... Royal Vista has 90 units. 80-85 studio units in Wyndham Sea Gardens/North & South Oceanview HOA. 80+ units in Ocean Palms (either 1bdr or 2 bdr with garage parking & pool).

The only problem would be the DEEDED fixed week owners .... and some UDI deeded points owners.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
we ust got this email

Yes...at this point its voluntary. If they dont get enough volunteers then the start cancelling and down-grading. and this will be done from the reservations made most recently , back

and if the points were from the Dec 2017 use year, the returned points will go into 2018

Dear Valued Owner:

As you may know, our resorts located in Pompano Beach, Florida, sustained serious damage resulting from Hurricane Irma. Our contractors have encountered some unexpected delays in remediation and permitting, which means many units remain unavailable. We are working diligently to maximize occupancy in the upcoming days and weeks.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to accommodate all previously confirmed reservations during the time period for which you are scheduled to arrive.We understand the inconvenience this will cause you and your family and appreciate your understanding as this weather related event is outside of our control.

At this time, we are seeking volunteers who can cancel their December 2017 reservation. Volunteers will receive a full refund of points used for the reservation, plus an additional 25% of the points back to your account.
For example, if your reservation used 100,000 points you would get 125,000 points.

If we do not receive sufficient volunteers, it may be necessary to downgrade or cancel reservations. We will determine which reservations will be impacted and inform you of any necessary cancellations by November 17, 2017.
We determine which reservations will be cancelled based upon the booked date. The reservations booked most recently are impacted first.

Please immediately reply to this email if you are interested in this offer.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and look forward to speaking with you soon.

Sincerely,

CLUB WYNDHAM Plus Owner Services

(If you have a 12/31/2017 use year, we will place the 125% of the points used for this reservation into your 12/31/2018 use year)

dcdowden

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. We have reservations at RV for 4 weeks starting January 6 which I made 13 months in advance. So I started to double check everything and things are still a little confusing. The regular RV Resort page still shows the message about the resort being closed for renovations until November 24, but if you search for availability at the resort, you see the message about everything being closed until February 1. My reservations still appear fine when I log in to the web site and I don't have any messages from Wyndham - yet. So I called and talked to owner services. The person I talked to said that my reservations still looked fine as well, and that the resorts were not 100% closed. My nephew's family just stayed at Palm Aire a couple weeks ago, so obviously some buildings are open. This sounds more consistent with the messages others have posted about seeking volunteers to cancel reservations during December. I wonder if they have started doing that for January yet or not.
Doug

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Wow. We have reservations at RV for 4 weeks starting January 6 which I made 13 months in advance. .... I wonder if they have started doing that for January yet or not.
Doug

I had reservations for 12/22/17 at Santa Barbara... I received my email yesterday.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I called Santa Barbara yesterday and asked about my January reservations. First question from the desk clerk was, "Have you been contacted about a cancellation?" (No, I haven't.)

She said about 20 of 90 units can be occupied. Apparently repairs are proceeding slowly because she said they are still pulling building permits for the repair work.

So the question seems to be, even if a reservation isn't canceled, will staying there be a pleasant experience? Probably not.

Addendum: I canceled my January Santa Barbara reservations. The thought of sitting by the pool listening to power saws, hammers, etc., scared me off. Still have January Royal Vista reservations. Haven't called them yet.

Last edited:

jercal10

Reaction score
THis situation with all 4 resorts closed is bad. But the lack of info from WYN is appalling. Web says call vac planning - but get 30+ minute hold message.

Someone needs to rattle Mike brown's cage!

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
When calling use option 3 option 2 it answers quicker for me.

From some posts, it appears the Resorts are giving status on their resorts.

north

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today, I received 2 e-mails regarding the cancellation of my reservation at RV in December. I have several reservations in December, but the e-mails do not mention which confirmation number they want to cancel. The first e-mail offers me 10% extra points. The second offers me 25% extra points.

jercal10

Reaction score
Typical of the attitude WYN management has to us owners. As I said "appalling" lack of info.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Part of the lack of information problem is probably related to the spin off of the Hotel Group last heard projected for 1st Quarter of next year. How the weather damage has impacted parts of the existing system could be a major problem for the planning and valuations of the component parts. This forum has focused on timeshares. There has been little discussion of the impact on the Hotel group operations.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Part of the lack of information problem is probably related to the spin off of the Hotel Group last heard projected for 1st Quarter of next year. How the weather damage has impacted parts of the existing system could be a major problem for the planning and valuations of the component parts. This forum has focused on timeshares. There has been little discussion of the impact on the Hotel group operations.

Wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcdowden

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got emails from Wyndham that said they were cancelling my January reservations at Royal Vista and were providing me an additional 10% of points as a goodwill gesture. I only got three emails and I had four reservations, so I called Vacation Planning and they transferred me to Owner Care. The last week started Jan 27 and went into Feb, so they checked and said that week would be cancelled as well. I complained that as a property owner at Royal Vista I was very unhappy with the total lack of communication as to what is going on at the resort and the potential future impact on budgets/assessments, etc. I asked her to pass on this concern to Wyndham management. She also told me that in Pompano Beach they had prioritized permits for residential reconstruction over commercial reconstruction/remediation and that was the primary issue delaying recovery.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When did you make the reservations? I have reservations at RV for January 20 and 27. Made the reservations in February and May. If they are doing "last in - first out," my reservations may hold. Then, the question is would I want to stay there (alternatively, would I want to put a guest there not knowing first-hand what are the conditions). Hammers, power saws, dust, construction debris don't make for a plus vacation, even if it is warmer than a lot of places.

dcdowden

TUG Member
Reaction score
I made all four reservations exactly at 13 months. We are also VIP Platinum owners at RV and have been going there every January for over 10 years. I was not why I only got three emails when I have four reservations in Jan, so I called and owner services checked and told me that the Jan 27 reservation was to be cancelled as well since it is before Feb 1. The first Vacation Planner I talked to told me there was a need for mold remediation with hazmat suits and such, but the owner services person could not verify that. She said the problem was getting the needed permits.