• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Royal Caribbean end of trust

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Sands
has anyone heard what the resorts are planning for the end of the Caribbean? Are they going to sell or buy back themselves? What have they told you? Any word on value of the resort?
Thanks
Daryl
I have a membership at the Royal Caribbean and have heard some rumors that they are trying to sell the hotel to a related party. I have sent some letters to the Club requesting information about the sale process because I believe that selling the hotel to a related party will not necessarily create the most possible value to all the members. I have not received any response yet. I had a good experience in the sale process of the Royal Mayan and in that case they followed a formal bid process. I believe that the should follow a similar process in this case. Hope I can get more information soon. David

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas
First off, thanks to BoaterMike's post back in April--it gave real insight as to what we'd be facing in the presentation when we went to the Royal Haciendas May 12-22. Secondly, we met a former owner of a villa at the Royal Mayan who told us that they got substantially less in residual value. They expected $6800 and got $2000 - the depressed home markets in MX/US and other blah blah blah was what the Royals used to devalue their contract. So we sat through the obligatory sales meeting this time only to be told that it wasn't required and never has been. What??? I don't think so! We tried to politely inquire about our RC residual value and they told us that we should have gotten a "letter" back in February --- they tried "locating" that letter to show us but couldn't find it. My in laws who are also owners at the RC never received one either. We were told that the Royal Caribbean has NOT been sold and bids are being accepted. We were also told that ANYTHING we are hearing about RC buyers is just POOL TALK.

Suffice to say that our meeting was cut short when they told us that we knew we were signing up for a sales presentation for purchasing points. Both my husband and I told them that we were told it was a Members Update Presentation and the word sales was not in that title. We told them that we weren't so sure points was a good idea and our children have reinforced that with the fact they aren't interested in being tied to maintenance fees. Their last dig was that we were the only owners who they've encounter that feel that way. Everyone else has "LOVED" the new points system. Yeah right!!! We heard other pool-talkers that week express the same lack of interest/excitement about the points. We all deduced that they want owners of the RC to buy points and will give us a reduced amount of our residual value to do so.

And so we'll wait for the phantom letter that explains how to proceed with getting our residual.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
At one time we owned 10 weeks of timeshares. We currently own 3 at the RR and 4 Marriott. The RR are the only ones that ever talked about a residual. We have never looked at a timeshare as an investment it’s a guaranteed vacation with a lot of wonderful memories. IMHO people are too hung up on getting back their “investment “ what about your 30 years of memories. Whatever residual we receive will just be a bonus.

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas, Marriott Grand Chateau,
We know more today based on the notice posted on the RR owner's site. Rather than post it here, I would suggest reading the post and FAQ. A RR affiliate has stepped in to buy out the assets and turn it into a new points-based system resort.

ML

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We know more today based on the notice posted on the RR owner's site. Rather than post it here, I would suggest reading the post and FAQ. A RR affiliate has stepped in to buy out the assets and turn it into a new points-based system resort.

ML
Wow! I hope RC owners get at least as much as the RM owners.

JBA

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Islander, Tahiti Village
If I remember correctly,
  • Royal Cancun 1977-2007 (30 years RTU - renewal for another 30 years ? owners could renew at a discounted price)
  • Royal Mayan 1983-2013 (30 years RTU - resort sold to a third party and owners got a residual)
  • Royal Caribbean 1988-2018 (30 years RTU)
  • Royal Islander 1993-2023 (30 years RTU)
  • Royal Sands 2000-2050 (50 years RTU)
I am trying to confirm that the end of the Royal Islander Trust is in 2023. Your post is the only information that I have seen. I had in my notes that is was 2022.

urban5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Cancun
I am trying to confirm that the end of the Royal Islander Trust is in 2023. Your post is the only information that I have seen. I had in my notes that is was 2022.

Any week from 1 to 27 ends in 2023, weeks 28 to 52 end in 2022. Trust ends end of week 27 on July 15th. This info taken from Royal Resorts website calendar for Royal Islander.

Attachments

• calendario-intervalos-RIslander.pdf
    84.9 KB · Views: 60

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
What was the residual payout % for the Royal Mayan. I sold out about 4-5 years before the end.

Ellis2ca

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
When is the termination date of Royal Caribbean? What about the Royal Islander. With Royal Cancun sold, and as these continue to go away from timeshare, it really starts to limit the non AI timeshare options in Cancun

Excuse me... the Royal CanCun has not been "sold" (unless it has, and I haven't been notified as an owner.) Perhaps you mean the Royal Mayan. Yes, the Royal Mayan is very sadly not a part of the Royal Resorts anymore.

I THINK they are going to make it into a hotel, but the grounds and services are still going to be available to us when we stay at a Royal Resort. I say this after a conversation with Armando Millet in April... but this is not decided yet.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Ellis - long time no see. Not much of the Royal "family" still around.

Ellis2ca

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was at the RC about 2 weeks ago and fwiw was told that full residuals will be paid to all owners of record at the end of the trust. The reason being that the property is a little larger than the Mayan and the economy is much better than it was in 2013. I was also told that it is almost certain that the Emporio will be the highest bidder. They have the resources to outbid the competition and eventually want to buy the Islander also. They seem to think it’s a done deal. I was told the same story by reps at the Sands and Haciendas.

If this is the case, then there is no real auction, as there was no real auction for the Royal Mayan. I doubt that "full residuals will be paid".

Ellis2ca

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Ellis - long time no see. Not much of the Royal "family" still around.

Hello Tony... It's good to find you here again. Yes, things change. I lost my love for the Royal Resorts since they killed the Royal Mayan. And now, it's good-bye to the Royal Caribbean. My birth certificate is 73 years old, and I still have 20 years left for my 3 Christmas and New Year weeks at the Royal CanCun. But I love CanCun, and I will enjoy what is left, which will soon be the Royal CanCun and the Royal Sands for another 20 years... Enjoy it, or die trying...

jkbrand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Latest e-mail (last week) from the Royals indicated that owners in good standing will receive 57% of residual value. Next update was promised in January.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
How did this all play out? Curious what's going on with this resort now....