TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Royal Caribbean end of trust

Discussion in 'Mexico Timesharing' started by 70mach1428, Jan 20, 2017.

1. 70mach1428

70mach1428 TUG Member

has anyone heard what the resorts are planning for the end of the Caribbean? Are they going to sell or buy back themselves? What have they told you? Any word on value of the resort?
    Thanks
    Daryl

2. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    When is the termination date of Royal Caribbean? What about the Royal Islander. With Royal Cancun sold, and as these continue to go away from timeshare, it really starts to limit the non AI timeshare options in Cancun

3. Phydeaux

Phydeaux TUG Member

It will be sold. TS's are dead. Sorry, but that's the fact, and the investors know it. They wanted out yesterday.

4. youppi

youppi TUG Member

If I remember correctly,
    • Royal Cancun 1977-2007 (30 years RTU - renewal for another 30 years ? owners could renew at a discounted price)
    • Royal Mayan 1983-2013 (30 years RTU - resort sold to a third party and owners got a residual)
    • Royal Caribbean 1988-2018 (30 years RTU)
    • Royal Islander 1993-2023 (30 years RTU)
    • Royal Sands 2000-2050 (50 years RTU)

5. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Thanks for this. Though I think you may have the Cancun and Mayan reversed. I believe it was Royal Cancun that was sold and residual was distributed to owners.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  6. Phydeaux

Phydeaux TUG Member

Nope. Correct as written.

7. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    So the Royal Mayan is now the Emporio Cancun? Was there not another property in Cancun called the Royal Cancun? Perhaps not a part of the Royal family of resorts?

8. buceo

buceo Guest

Yes, they are going to sell and they may or may not try and buy it back themselves. Personally I lean toward them trying to buy it back. It'll then go AI and RCI points based like the others.

The Mayan is now Emporio and yes there is/was another Royal Cancun, by a different company. I think they called it "The Royal", it is a bit north of the The Sands. The Royal Resorts "The Royal Cancun" (a name they own) was called other names for a while.

9. BoaterMike

BoaterMike TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas, Marriott Grand Chateau,
    The final week for RC is #43 in 2018. Last day of operations is Nov. 3. Safe bet I won't be using my week 42 in 2018.

Mike

10. KarenLK

KarenLK TUG Member

It will always be VCI (Vacation Club International) or CIC (Club Internacional de Cancun) to the old timers!!

sdbrier likes this.
  11. fiat1bmw

fiat1bmw Guest

We own at the Royal Islander and were just there week 3 - some of the nicest weather we've every had for week 3 I might add. It's too bad the Mayan is gone and the Caribbean will be gone in late 2018. We're hoping they purchase back the Caribbean to keep at least 2-sister resorts side-by-side, but I'm not betting on it. They're going to a points system which I don't like since I've been accustomed to having the same week at the same resort (or I can trade/rent/rent back). If the Caribbean does change hands, it'll be a bit lonely 'till 2023...

12. allthingslegal

allthingslegal TUG Member

Regarding the comments about the Royal Cancun by "youppi" and "dioxide45", you are both partially correct. The Royal Cancun original name was Club Internacional de Cancun a/k/a Vacation Club International. It was the first of the Royal Resorts. Its 30 year trust was up in 2007 and instead of selling as originally planned, the Royal Resorts renamed it and offered members the chance to re-up for another 30 years. However, those owners who did not re-up received payment of their residuals.

13. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    What was it renamed to?

14. jlp879

jlp879 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

I don't know when the name change took effect, but it now known as The Royal Cancún.

15. SciFiFans

SciFiFans Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Royal Caribbean and Hyatt Windward Pointe
    When we were there last year we asked the salesman what the plan was he said we would likely get between .79 to .89 cents on the dollar that was based on my unit which is week 16 and almost dead center of building D.
    He stated the price would fluctuate based on the actual sales price when the place is sold.

16. Tony2

Tony2 TUG Member

I was at the RC about 2 weeks ago and fwiw was told that full residuals will be paid to all owners of record at the end of the trust. The reason being that the property is a little larger than the Mayan and the economy is much better than it was in 2013. I was also told that it is almost certain that the Emporio will be the highest bidder. They have the resources to outbid the competition and eventually want to buy the Islander also. They seem to think it’s a done deal. I was told the same story by reps at the Sands and Haciendas. Was also told there are plans to build a new Royal Palms near Puerto Morales in a couple of years.

BoaterMike likes this.
  17. BoaterMike

BoaterMike TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    That's consistent with what we were told in December. They are moving toward the points wherever possible. We'll take the $ and move on.

18. trujitravelers

trujitravelers Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas
    We're owners at the Royal Caribbean (bought it off a person on TUG2 in 2006) and are headed to the Royal Haciendas in May (2018). It's a little frustrating not to find any information on the Royal Resorts website-- on the timeline for getting our residual value on our Caribbean contract. Did they explain it to you in "the sales pitch" meeting when you went? We're in your boat, Mike, we've long been ready to move on from the Royal Caribbean. We're okay for now with the minimal number of points we purchased off of the Royal Haciendas, but foresee that even our kids won't use them too much in the future. VRBO and AirBNB are now the ways to go and NO ANNUAL MAINTENANCE FEES! Who knew!!?? :cool:

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

19. BoaterMike

BoaterMike TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    The answer they are providing now is consistent with the contracts. Residuals will be distributed to members in good standing after the sale. Residuals will be pro-rated based on net amount after paying expenses, including severance. Reserves will also be included in the residual calculation. Sounds like there may be more info in May or later after they open and announce all bids. Our payments, or what's left, will not be paid for a number of months (6+/-) after the closing. Other than that, there is a lot of speculation. Keep checking the owner area of the royalresorts.com site.

During the sales pitch they have offered a calculated value of residuals toward purchasing points. Not sure how they calculate this value because the property has not been sold, but I can imagine that it's more favorable to RR than a purchaser.

20. MaxieGetDown

MaxieGetDown Guest

Has anyone heard anything about a Title Company called Sandiva Title and a Travel Agency called Advance Travel purchasing the Royal Resorts timeshares? I received a call, which was followed up with a contract stating this travel agency had a buyer for my timeshare at the Islander. I only have 3 years left and the price is very good. I'm confused as to whether its a scam, and why anyone would pay (good) money for 3 years at the Islander. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks.

21. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Scam

22. MaxieGetDown

MaxieGetDown Guest

Thanks, How do you know?

23. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    An unsolicited phone call to buy your week is a huge red flag. Even more so when they already have a buyer. It is unlikely that they even know your ownership is about to end in three years.

24. MaxieGetDown

MaxieGetDown Guest

Thanks for the heads up. What have people experienced with the end of the ownership? Has the payout been much?

25. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    I don't think anyone knows and it doesn't seem like they will for a while.