• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Route from ABQ to Ruidoso

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
We are going out a few days early before the Balloon Fiesta and visiting Ruidoso Sun - Thur. I've been researching things to do around Ruidoso, but I have a question about the route between the two cities. The quickest route according to GoogleMaps is down I-25, but there are a couple of other routes that take you east and then down, each about 20 min longer than the Interstate. Both take you through the Cibola National Forest on I-40. One cuts from Moriarty down to Corona and the other goes to Clines Corners before cutting south.

Anyone know whether there are things to see and do along either route that would make the detour worthwhile? We won't be in any hurry, especially the day we come back to ABQ.

Thanks,

Sheila

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I can't say anything about the route. I can say we alwys choose to stay off freeways if posssible and it does not add greatly to the travel time.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Even though we live in New Mexico we've never been to Ruidoso. I was looking at the routes, and the only suggestion I have is if you take I-25, and detour out of Socorro you can visit the VLM (Very Large Array) which is something to see. What day will you be traveling? They have some free days in October, meaning free entry to the public.

https://public.nrao.edu/visit/very-large-array/

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would recommend the Moriarty cut-off to minimize time spent on the interstate. Corona is the nearest habitation to the legendary UFO crash site. 10 miles west of Carrizozo on US-380 is the Valley of Fires lava flow. It is what Hawaii would look like if there were no trees. The highway cuts right through the flow.

For the return trip, take US-380 to I-25. The historic Owl Bar is in San Antonio, NM just before the interstate.

The side trip from Socorro to the Very Large Array, that was mentioned, is definitely worth the time. If you can plan a full day and do not mind the drive, keep heading west on US-60. Have lunch and a slice of pie in Pietown, NM, then head north to El Malpais National Conservation Area. The ranger station right on the highway has some good displays about the history and ecology of the area. Ask about the short hike that leads out of the parking lot. From Socorro to I-40 on this route, there is very little traffic and loads of scenery. That is an unbeatable combination and well worth the drive if you have the time.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Today we are enroute from Salem Oregon to West Yellowstone with a stop over in Boise. We had 2 choices - I5 to I84 or Hwy 22 to Hwy 20 across central Oregon. Even tough it was slightly longer in time we chose the central Orefon route.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Even though we live in New Mexico we've never been to Ruidoso. I was looking at the routes, and the only suggestion I have is if you take I-25, and detour out of Socorro you can visit the VLM (Very Large Array) which is something to see. What day will you be traveling? They have some free days in October, meaning free entry to the public.

https://public.nrao.edu/visit/very-large-array/

Thanks for the tip. It does look interesting. We'll already be back in ABQ ballooning before the open house day, but we'll keep it in mind.

Sheila

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would recommend the Moriarty cut-off to minimize time spent on the interstate. Corona is the nearest habitation to the legendary UFO crash site. 10 miles west of Carrizozo on US-380 is the Valley of Fires lava flow. It is what Hawaii would look like if there were no trees. The highway cuts right through the flow.

For the return trip, take US-380 to I-25. The historic Owl Bar is in San Antonio, NM just before the interstate.

The side trip from Socorro to the Very Large Array, that was mentioned, is definitely worth the time. If you can plan a full day and do not mind the drive, keep heading west on US-60. Have lunch and a slice of pie in Pietown, NM, then head north to El Malpais National Conservation Area. The ranger station right on the highway has some good displays about the history and ecology of the area. Ask about the short hike that leads out of the parking lot. From Socorro to I-40 on this route, there is very little traffic and loads of scenery. That is an unbeatable combination and well worth the drive if you have the time.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look at the map and see whether it would work out. We also have three afternoons free during the middle of the week of Fiesta, so we sometimes take a short road trip on those days.

Sheila

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Today we are enroute from Salem Oregon to West Yellowstone with a stop over in Boise. We had 2 choices - I5 to I84 or Hwy 22 to Hwy 20 across central Oregon. Even tough it was slightly longer in time we chose the central Orefon route.
Sorry I missed this post on Friday. (I wasn't watching New Mexico routing) I would have suggested Art In The Park on Boise, then that you exit the I-84 freeway at Mountain Home and cross Idaho on U.S. 20 to Island Park/West Yellowstone with stops at Craters of the Moon Nat'l Monument (proposed for Nat'l Park designation) and EBR-1, the first breeder reactor. It's open for tours daily at the Idaho Nat'l Labs between Arco and Idaho Falls.

Like your drive across central Oregon, there isn't a much out there, but there is a LOT of it!

Jim

eschjw

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont
My two cents on the New Mexico portion of your trip. I have never taken the Moriarty cut-off and the UFO hype has never been of interest to me. Scenic beauty and real historical sites are my primary interest.
I have heard that the drive to Roswell is nothing special but the Hondo Valley on 380 is lovely. I have also stopped in Lincoln NM and it is worth a visit.

My recommendations:

Take I-25 south to the San Antonio 380 exit. Stop at the historic Owl Bar and get a green chile cheeseburger.

Continue east on 380 to the Valley of Fires. Here you can view the unworldly and amazing desolation of the volcanic lava flows.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...res_Recreation_Area-Carrizozo_New_Mexico.html

Continue on to Carrizozo. There will be several places to stop and buy the local red or green chile flavored pistachios.

At Carrizozo take 54 south west to Three Rivers Petroglyph Site. This is a wonderful place to view the many petroglyphs that are only a very short distance from the parking lot. The view of the mountains to the east is fabulous. Very highly recommended!
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...vers_Petroglyph_Site-Tularosa_New_Mexico.html

Continue on to 54 to Tularosa and take 70 to Ruidoso.

Leaving Ruidoso you could connect back up to 380 and take in the Hondo Valley and visit Lincoln.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...incoln_State_Monument-Lincoln_New_Mexico.html

Continuing on 380 past Carrizozo to ABQ would repeat that section of your drive. I have driven this route several times. You could of course do this in the reverse order and/or add the Moriarty cut-off that was previously mentioned.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My two cents on the New Mexico portion of your trip. I have never taken the Moriarty cut-off and the UFO hype has never been of interest to me. Scenic beauty and real historical sites are my primary interest.
I have heard that the drive to Roswell is nothing special but the Hondo Valley on 380 is lovely. I have also stopped in Lincoln NM and it is worth a visit.

My recommendations:

Take I-25 south to the San Antonio 380 exit. Stop at the historic Owl Bar and get a green chile cheeseburger.

Continue east on 380 to the Valley of Fires. Here you can view the unworldly and amazing desolation of the volcanic lava flows.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...res_Recreation_Area-Carrizozo_New_Mexico.html

Continue on to Carrizozo. There will be several places to stop and buy the local red or green chile flavored pistachios.

At Carrizozo take 54 south west to Three Rivers Petroglyph Site. This is a wonderful place to view the many petroglyphs that are only a very short distance from the parking lot. The view of the mountains to the east is fabulous. Very highly recommended!
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...vers_Petroglyph_Site-Tularosa_New_Mexico.html

Continue on to 54 to Tularosa and take 70 to Ruidoso.

Leaving Ruidoso you could connect back up to 380 and take in the Hondo Valley and visit Lincoln.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...incoln_State_Monument-Lincoln_New_Mexico.html

Continuing on 380 past Carrizozo to ABQ would repeat that section of your drive. I have driven this route several times. You could of course do this in the reverse order and/or add the Moriarty cut-off that was previously mentioned.

Great tips. Thank you.

Sheila