• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rotator cuff repair - recovery

geekette

Reaction score
I have a 50% tear and starting to set up consults.

My sister is scaring the hell out of me based on what her friend went thru, I have no idea if our situations are similar so thought I would turn to this treasure trove of folks that have been there done that.

I was thinking this was like other surgeries where PT starts nearly immediately. Is this true or is there a period of needing to be immobilized?

I have become accustomed to doing most everything with my other arm while I've healed from other stuff and the arm is simply weak and ineffective, but I do live alone and she tells me that I must have someone here with me while I recover. Fact or crap?

I half expect to hear "it depends" but would like to hear from anyone that has had the surgery and can give me some idea.

I am not sure I would do spine surgery at roughly same time but I am cottoning to the idea of getting everything over with, live the misery a few weeks, then finally maybe start to feel normal with much less pain in my life. I can get a short term roommate, I have a rockstar friend that would do it and I live 5 minutes from her job. I prefer to remain solo but I just need to know if that is reasonable.

I will of course ask lots of questions as I go around to the different surgeons but I know from experience they won't tell me everything and may downplay the level of pain I should expect and possibly my ability to live alone. If all I need is the 24 hour watcher to make sure I come down from anesthesia ok, that's easy. If it's more than that, I will have to coordinate my surgery with plans of my chosen caretaker.

I would also appreciate honest input on whether the shoulder feels normal and returns to full utility. I am 53 and always active and sporty. I hope to get back to that but if that is dreaming, I'd like to know it.

And I hate to ask, but has anyone had the surgery and had bad results, like wishing they'd never tried to have it repaired. I hope not, but I wanna know.

thanks for any input. nobody likes surgery but I tend to get freaked out. Knowledge is power, so if I can set my expectations appropriately then it will be an easier go mentally.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My father-in-law was very active in his late sixties when he had his done (a dancer, like you--actually teaches samba and salsa dancing--and a regular runner,) and while I think there was more post-surgical pain and a longer rehab time than he was expecting (which, I suspect was *zero* post-surgical pain and *zero* post-surgery rehab time to get back to 100%, LOL!) it has worked out quite well for him. For something that is not going to heal itself, and will only get worse, it's probably a good thing to have done earlier in life--when you are younger and healthier and able to recover more quickly.

(Everyone was always amazed by how quickly I came back from my hip replacement, but I was a solid 20-30 years younger than most folks who have a hip replaced that didn't, you know, break it trying to do a backside 1080 on the half-pipe! Being younger and in much better health--no chronic, underlying conditions--made for a much speedier recovery.)

geekette

Reaction score
Nice, Amy. I have put it off to get stronger and able to handle PT, but want my shoulder back and like this early score for positive outcome.

Good on you with hip replacement! Yes, usually an old lady thing. Mom had one a year or so ago at age 84. She never rehabs correctly, gets lazy and unmotivated, so has a foot that turns a weird way when she walks. Inexplicable that she didn't notice and correct this early on with her exercising but she was honestly way doped up for way too long until my brother intervened.

I am keen on doing the PT, I think it is key to successful rehab. I think I would notice if my hand was turning the wrong way. I do need it for dance, I have been faking with that arm and look forward to full use of it for everything. Nice to hear a fellow dancer is happily repaired! I have most trouble with tall partners, it's just too high for that stabilizing arm to be up.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I know someone who had it done and she said the recovery was awful, even though it was on her left side and she is a "righty". She is in her 60's. But all is great now. She did say she needed her husband there to help her with everything. She said she had to have it done as the pain in her shoulder was getting very bad.

I have pain in my should/neck/arm and I am hoping it is not the same issue. Rather have it be arthritis.

I think you should get it done sooner than later. Did you get a second opinion?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My father-in-law was very active in his late sixties when he had his done (a dancer, like you--actually teaches samba and salsa dancing--and a regular runner,) and while I think there was more post-surgical pain and a longer rehab time than he was expecting (which, I suspect was *zero* post-surgical pain and *zero* post-surgery rehab time to get back to 100%, LOL!) it has worked out quite well for him. For something that is not going to heal itself, and will only get worse, it's probably a good thing to have done earlier in life--when you are younger and healthier and able to recover more quickly.

(Everyone was always amazed by how quickly I came back from my hip replacement, but I was a solid 20-30 years younger than most folks who have a hip replaced that didn't, you know, break it trying to do a backside 1080 on the half-pipe! Being younger and in much better health--no chronic, underlying conditions--made for a much speedier recovery.)

My 84 year old friend had hip surgery 2 years ago and recovered very quickly, but she was in great shape and health for her age.

geekette

Reaction score
I know someone who had it done and she said the recovery was awful, even though it was on her left side and she is a "righty". She is in her 60's. But all is great now. She did say she needed her husband there to help her with everything. She said she had to have it done as the pain in her shoulder was getting very bad.

I have pain in my should/neck/arm and I am hoping it is not the same issue. Rather have it be arthritis.

I think you should get it done sooner than later. Did you get a second opinion?
The MRI clearly shows it. I saw one doc last year, and arranging for 2 more. One is highly recommended and another is in my preferred hospital.

Yes, very painful but solving rotator cuff may not be the end of pain, just factoring out that one thing. There is also a neck problem that I am pursuing, the MRI written results are downright scary, using words like "worrisome". I have an appt with a neurosurgeon recommended by 2 of my doctors. Visited Spine Center last year and they thought I should just take Tylenol. Sure, that's a long term solution, 50 years of Tylenol!

I am more scared of the spine deal since rotator cuff repair is fairly common. Messing with my spine freaks me out. I'm trying to figure out how and when to accomplish both of them with the goal of being on the job again in 2020. I can get yard care easily, I'm more concerned about dressing, showering, etc. since I mostly have the house set up to deal with my lame left arm from the beginning of this stupid saga.

You could have a pinched nerve. Some of my arm issues are thought to be from the spine issues possibly causing impingement to nerves. I have a neck collar to wear no more than 90 minutes a day and it has helped ward off migraines and I don't think I've had numb fingers since I started with it. I am happy for any relief but it's time to do some larger solving, get that deductible hit and on with the rest.

It's worth checking out to see if there are solutions vs just living with it long term. I am currently advised against visiting my trusty chiropractor but oh golly I could use an adjustment. I can tell when my toes are cramping that something is out of whack but just living with it like the rest of my stupid issues. If you get a consult and MRI is recommended, get it. Pricey but worth seeing what is going on in there. Took a long time for me to find a doctor that listened to me and eventually ordered the MRIs that show I was not lying, I have been in pain from obvious problems.

Fixing them is a different matter. I got buggered up with my last surgery so trusting anyone to cut on me again is part of my problem.

maggie

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband had rotator cuff surgery on his right shoulder two weeks ago yesterday. He just had the follow up appointment with the surgeon and is doing very well. I can tell you about it in great detail if you want to message me but in general, he was at the hospital a total of six hours, the surgery was about an hour and 15 minutes. His shoulder was bandaged with thick gauze padding which we could take off in a couple of days. He had a pain pump for three days and took a pain pill at bedtime for four days. His shoulder was pretty much immobilized with the arm sling and a big pad between it and his torso. After two weeks he can take the sling off and rest his arm on his leg or the couch arm while he is sitting quietly and that is a big relief. He is supposed to wear the sling when he is up and about for a total of six weeks. He can't drive for a total of six weeks. I hope he can obey those rules. He had some hand and wrist flexing exercises to do immediately. His hand was swollen for a few days but then returned to normal. Physical therapy starts next week and it is apparently gentle stretching to start. He is also letting his arm hang and very gently making a small circle with it. Much more than that hurts. He needed me to help him get dressed and to get the sling adjusted and to do things like open pill bottles. He had his other shoulder repaired ten years ago or so and it was more extensive. It returned to full function with no problem. Everyone's pain threshold is different but I have heard that physical therapy for rotator cuff surgery can be very painful, especially when you have to reach up and roll a ball on the wall or walk your fingers up a wall. It's important to do it anyway to get full range of motion. You don't want to get a frozen shoulder. I think you might need someone to help you for at least a day, maybe two or three days. More would be better but you could probably manage.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
My wife has had this surgery twice and she needed a lot of help for at least a week after each one. Each person is different but she wouldn’t have been able to do much at all if I wasn’t there.

She never did get full range of motion back and she lost some strength also. She had a lot of pain before each surgery and the surgery took all the pain away. I would say is ended out about 85% of normal.

It is a tough rehab but each person is different.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband had this done a few weeks ago and is still in the arm brace. It was easy peasy.

They made him wait 5 days to start PT. He bought the ice machine the hospital was selling and that kept the pain way down. He only 2 took of the pain pills they prescribed and that was probably only because I fed them to him thinking his pain would kick in. Tylenol and the ice machine worked fine.

Shower with bandages was the biggest PITA. The arm brace is very large and bulky. It was much bigger than what he imagined. He is supposed to wear it for 6 weeks straight, but he is taking it off at home sometimes now (he starting doing that around 3 weeks post op). He went back to work a week later, works as an acupuncturist and had to have a lot more help from his assistants than normal.

He is right around 4 weeks post op and is very happy he the surgery, but wishes he didn't have the wear the brace anymore.

FWIW, we went on a weekend cruise 10 days after the surgery and he was fine on that.

maggie

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband wants me to add that it also depends on how much work you have to have done. He had two tears and a bone spur this time which was less than last time when he also had a biceps tendon that had completely torn. This time he has a VascuTherm machine which the doctor recommends for his patients. It is not covered by Medicare or our supplement and is $250 for a month. It's a big shoulder pad that has cold water circulating around the shoulder and helps to reduce pain and swelling. He needed me to help him get that on and going. Also, he needed me to help him get his socks on and his shoes tied. Mostly we stayed home the first week. He is older but works out several times a week and is fit and active. He has been doing the physical therapy exercises he learned from the first surgery ever since so that probably helped.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tore mine twice. Once was as a pitcher in college. It wasn’t that bad, but ended my ability to pitch. There was no such thing as arthroscopic surgery at the time. Second was when I was 45 and it was worse. Surgeon number one said to get it fixed. Second one said to do PT and strengthen the surrounding muscles. He also said that the surgery is brutal and recovery was up to six months. I have two calcium deposits also so that was part of the fix. Bottom line is that I didn’t get the surgery and I’m fine ten years later. It gets a little sore after playing tennis, but nothing more serious in terms of limitations.

My friend had it and he had to sleep sitting up for almost a month due to immobility and pain. After a year he realized that it wasn’t fully fixed so he still has issues.

This surgery is like nasal surgery. It doesn’t always fix everything.

Get a second opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our close friend and neighbor here tore her rotator cuff on her right shoulder and went through surgery about 7 months ago to stretch it back. Her husband had to do a quite bit of household stuff while she recovered and helped her dress etc. She is a RN and did every prescribed PT. Well 6 months later she was still in severe pain and could not lift her arm up. MRI indicated that the surgery was a complete failure. Now her bone is broken in that shoulder and the pin is still attached. She is going in for another surgery just for the surgeon to see what is going on and draw liquid from the area. Surgeon has no plan to do a replacement surgery yet but it is likely to be the next step after this upcoming surgery. Unfortunately she puts her family before herself as always and will be babysitting her grandchildren in California between now and late August. They have to cancel their own vacation in late August just to fit in this exploratory surgery.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I was thinking this was like other surgeries where PT starts nearly immediately. Is this true or is there a period of needing to be immobilized?
My husband started rehab the night of surgery. His surgeon is a firm believer in CPM (continuous passive motion) chair immediately after surgery. I'm sure my DH could have waited until the next day, but the nerve block was still in effect and he did it.

I have become accustomed to doing most everything with my other arm while I've healed from other stuff and the arm is simply weak and ineffective, but I do live alone and she tells me that I must have someone here with me while I recover. Fact or crap?
I stayed home with him the day after surgery, but after that he was home alone while I was at work. DH was told he could use his arm from the elbow to the wrist as long as his elbow was touching his side. The only time this wasn't the case is when he was changing clothes or showering. Then he was allowed to let the arm dangle. (to do things like get a shirt on.) Putting on a bra is probably going to be interesting. I had a frozen shoulder about 18 months ago, had to change the way I hooked it until I got the motion back.

I am not sure I would do spine surgery at roughly same time
I don't think I would want to do both at roughly the same time. DH was pretty miserable and adding more misery probably not a good idea.

I would also appreciate honest input on whether the shoulder feels normal and returns to full utility.
I think DH ended up with 10% permanent disability. He had 4 partial tears and his bicep muscle had also torn. He is very glad he had the surgery. He said he wouldn't wish it on anyone though. Full six months for recovery and no he doesn't have full mobility, but he is very happy with the results. (BTW he was 57 when he had the surgery and he's a steam fitter by trade and an avid cyclist.)

geekette

Reaction score
My husband had rotator cuff surgery on his right shoulder two weeks ago yesterday. He just had the follow up appointment with the surgeon and is doing very well. I can tell you about it in great detail if you want to message me but in general, he was at the hospital a total of six hours, the surgery was about an hour and 15 minutes. His shoulder was bandaged with thick gauze padding which we could take off in a couple of days. He had a pain pump for three days and took a pain pill at bedtime for four days. His shoulder was pretty much immobilized with the arm sling and a big pad between it and his torso. After two weeks he can take the sling off and rest his arm on his leg or the couch arm while he is sitting quietly and that is a big relief. He is supposed to wear the sling when he is up and about for a total of six weeks. He can't drive for a total of six weeks. I hope he can obey those rules. He had some hand and wrist flexing exercises to do immediately. His hand was swollen for a few days but then returned to normal. Physical therapy starts next week and it is apparently gentle stretching to start. He is also letting his arm hang and very gently making a small circle with it. Much more than that hurts. He needed me to help him get dressed and to get the sling adjusted and to do things like open pill bottles. He had his other shoulder repaired ten years ago or so and it was more extensive. It returned to full function with no problem. Everyone's pain threshold is different but I have heard that physical therapy for rotator cuff surgery can be very painful, especially when you have to reach up and roll a ball on the wall or walk your fingers up a wall. It's important to do it anyway to get full range of motion. You don't want to get a frozen shoulder. I think you might need someone to help you for at least a day, maybe two or three days. More would be better but you could probably manage.

Wow, this is such valuable info!! Thank you. I wondered if driving would be an issue, drat.

I can handle a lot of pain but sounds like I will need to plan some help. I definitely want my full shoulder back, I am good at doing pt, it's always painful, so that it could be on the extreme side of that is good to know.

geekette

Reaction score
My wife has had this surgery twice and she needed a lot of help for at least a week after each one. Each person is different but she wouldn’t have been able to do much at all if I wasn’t there.

She never did get full range of motion back and she lost some strength also. She had a lot of pain before each surgery and the surgery took all the pain away. I would say is ended out about 85% of normal.

It is a tough rehab but each person is different.
surgery took all the pain away?? This is exactly what I was hoping, this has been a long slog. I will be happy for more function, even if I can't get 100%.

geekette

Reaction score
My husband had this done a few weeks ago and is still in the arm brace. It was easy peasy.

They made him wait 5 days to start PT. He bought the ice machine the hospital was selling and that kept the pain way down. He only 2 took of the pain pills they prescribed and that was probably only because I fed them to him thinking his pain would kick in. Tylenol and the ice machine worked fine.

Shower with bandages was the biggest PITA. The arm brace is very large and bulky. It was much bigger than what he imagined. He is supposed to wear it for 6 weeks straight, but he is taking it off at home sometimes now (he starting doing that around 3 weeks post op). He went back to work a week later, works as an acupuncturist and had to have a lot more help from his assistants than normal.

He is right around 4 weeks post op and is very happy he the surgery, but wishes he didn't have the wear the brace anymore.

FWIW, we went on a weekend cruise 10 days after the surgery and he was fine on that.
oooo, maybe I should go on a cruise to rehab!!! Wouldn't have to worry about meals and cleanup... I could be extremely happy on a deck chair staring out to sea day after day.

Great info. Big brace, check. Hadn't thought about shower maneuvering, will have to noodle on tackling that. Back to work quickly is good to know, too.

geekette

Reaction score
My husband wants me to add that it also depends on how much work you have to have done. He had two tears and a bone spur this time which was less than last time when he also had a biceps tendon that had completely torn. This time he has a VascuTherm machine which the doctor recommends for his patients. It is not covered by Medicare or our supplement and is $250 for a month. It's a big shoulder pad that has cold water circulating around the shoulder and helps to reduce pain and swelling. He needed me to help him get that on and going. Also, he needed me to help him get his socks on and his shoes tied. Mostly we stayed home the first week. He is older but works out several times a week and is fit and active. He has been doing the physical therapy exercises he learned from the first surgery ever since so that probably helped.
oh my, I have more homework to do. I only recall the 50% tear info. There is a "loose object" that may be spur fragment but I was advised to not mess with it unless absolutely necessary due to location. My bicep shouldn't be affected.

I like the ice machine idea and appreciate knowing that extra cost. Thank you both! With warm weather coming up, I can probably get by with slip ons and can imagine shoes and socks problem.

geekette

Reaction score
I tore mine twice. Once was as a pitcher in college. It wasn’t that bad, but ended my ability to pitch. There was no such thing as arthroscopic surgery at the time. Second was when I was 45 and it was worse. Surgeon number one said to get it fixed. Second one said to do PT and strengthen the surrounding muscles. He also said that the surgery is brutal and recovery was up to six months. I have two calcium deposits also so that was part of the fix. Bottom line is that I didn’t get the surgery and I’m fine ten years later. It gets a little sore after playing tennis, but nothing more serious in terms of limitations.

My friend had it and he had to sleep sitting up for almost a month due to immobility and pain. After a year he realized that it wasn’t fully fixed so he still has issues.

This surgery is like nasal surgery. It doesn’t always fix everything.

Get a second opinion.

Also fantastic info. I actually didn't have big hopes for total fix, I just need more utility and way less pain. The burning is really bad this week for some reason.

I will have a total of 3 opinions, unless I so dislike or distrust one of the remaining 2 that I add another to the mix. Brutal +long recovery is quite something to consider. But not sure PT is going to do it. I get the idea mine is kind of run of the mill but will have to dig deeper with the remaining doctors. First said it's not going to get better on its own and I believe him at this point.

Sleeping sitting up, yeah, did that for nose fix. Don't have that dual recliner couch any more, hopefully I won't have to do that. yikes, crap, I am so glad to hear all these different experiences!

geekette

Reaction score
Our close friend and neighbor here tore her rotator cuff on her right shoulder and went through surgery about 7 months ago to stretch it back. Her husband had to do a quite bit of household stuff while she recovered and helped her dress etc. She is a RN and did every prescribed PT. Well 6 months later she was still in severe pain and could not lift her arm up. MRI indicated that the surgery was a complete failure. Now her bone is broken in that shoulder and the pin is still attached. She is going in for another surgery just for the surgeon to see what is going on and draw liquid from the area. Surgeon has no plan to do a replacement surgery yet but it is likely to be the next step after this upcoming surgery. Unfortunately she puts her family before herself as always and will be babysitting her grandchildren in California between now and late August. They have to cancel their own vacation in late August just to fit in this exploratory surgery.
oooooof, unsuccessful, exploratory next? I am so sorry to hear this, that is nightmare scenario. Not shocking to hear a nurse caring for everyone ahead of herself, but terrible to have surgery instead of vacation! I hope the issues are found and exploratory turns into "look, right here, simple fix!" and she wakes up with all Solved.

geekette

Reaction score
My husband started rehab the night of surgery. His surgeon is a firm believer in CPM (continuous passive motion) chair immediately after surgery. I'm sure my DH could have waited until the next day, but the nerve block was still in effect and he did it.

I stayed home with him the day after surgery, but after that he was home alone while I was at work. DH was told he could use his arm from the elbow to the wrist as long as his elbow was touching his side. The only time this wasn't the case is when he was changing clothes or showering. Then he was allowed to let the arm dangle. (to do things like get a shirt on.) Putting on a bra is probably going to be interesting. I had a frozen shoulder about 18 months ago, had to change the way I hooked it until I got the motion back.

I don't think I would want to do both at roughly the same time. DH was pretty miserable and adding more misery probably not a good idea.

I think DH ended up with 10% permanent disability. He had 4 partial tears and his bicep muscle had also torn. He is very glad he had the surgery. He said he wouldn't wish it on anyone though. Full six months for recovery and no he doesn't have full mobility, but he is very happy with the results. (BTW he was 57 when he had the surgery and he's a steam fitter by trade and an avid cyclist.)
I have front close bras due to breast cancer and this happening the night of that surgery but closing it still needs 2 hands... drat. maybe I will just be sport tape or camisole with shelf bra. thank you for this aspect I definitely hadn't considered!!!

Miserable, check. I am definitely getting the idea.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
About 5 years ago I had major rotator cuff surgery. I had two 100% tendon tears. One of the tendons was separated by about an inch, so it was never going to heal on its own.

My surgeon specializes in shoulder surgeries and IIRC had done perhaps a couple thousand of them. At the time, before he did the MRI, he said that rotator cuff problems fall into 3 categories: (1) those that can heal on their own, (2) those where it is a toss-up - - that is, it can either be operated on or left to possibly heal on its own and (3) those that will never get better on their own. Mine was the 3rd category. They put in eight little anchors into the bone. The outside end of the anchor had a small string or filament that was used to sew into the tendon. He said that the problem with suturing into a tendon is that it is like a piece of celery - - that is, the suture can pull out if a patient doesn't follow medical advice during recovery .

While they were working on me, they removed some material from my "achronium" (I think that it is a bone) because that bone (along with some arthritis) can grind away and abraid the tendon.

With a 50% tear, you might fall into category 2 - - it can either be operated on or perhaps left to heal on its own. But if the "tear" is really abrasion from the adjacent bone, perhaps you'll need to have the bone remodeled. (but that is just my personal non-medical opinion)

After surgery and for about the next 6 weeks, all of my shoulder motion was passive. That is, my arm was manipulated with the help of others. But that was because they PT people were trying to minimize the chance of the sutures being pulled out. There is a moderately high failure rate for that. But from what the OP described, perhaps the surgery will be simpler and they may wrap the tendon with some material. My SIL had partial tendon abrasion and had that done (wrapping the tendon in an artificial sheath) at the same time that I had my major shoulder surgery done.

Today my shoulder is at the 100% mark. But I went through 8 or 9 months of therapy two or three times a week. On my "off days" I used my in-home duplication of the PT equipment. I had overhead pulleys, elastic bands, plastic pipe, weights, etc. My SIL worked for Mayo clinic and they would only pay for two PT visits. Today she can't comb her hair or unbutton her bra. That is because she wasn't coached into or committed to doing extensive therapy. I did therapy (including my own at-home stuff) for about 250 days). To paraphrase poet Robert Frost (in his "Two roads diverged") ...that made all the difference !!

geekette

Reaction score
About 5 years ago I had major rotator cuff surgery. I had two 100% tendon tears. One of the tendons was separated by about an inch, so it was never going to heal on its own.

My surgeon specializes in shoulder surgeries and IIRC had done perhaps a couple thousand of them. At the time, before he did the MRI, he said that rotator cuff problems fall into 3 categories: (1) those that can heal on their own, (2) those where it is a toss-up - - that is, it can either be operated on or left to possibly heal on its own and (3) those that will never get better on their own. Mine was the 3rd category. They put in eight little anchors into the bone. The outside end of the anchor had a small string or filament that was used to sew into the tendon. He said that the problem with suturing into a tendon is that it is like a piece of celery - - that is, the suture can pull out if a patient doesn't follow medical advice during recovery .

While they were working on me, they removed some material from my "achronium" (I think that it is a bone) because that bone (along with some arthritis) can grind away and abraid the tendon.

With a 50% tear, you might fall into category 2 - - it can either be operated on or perhaps left to heal on its own. But if the "tear" is really abrasion from the adjacent bone, perhaps you'll need to have the bone remodeled. (but that is just my personal non-medical opinion)

After surgery and for about the next 6 weeks, all of my shoulder motion was passive. That is, my arm was manipulated with the help of others. But that was because they PT people were trying to minimize the chance of the sutures being pulled out. There is a moderately high failure rate for that. But from what the OP described, perhaps the surgery will be simpler and they may wrap the tendon with some material. My SIL had partial tendon abrasion and had that done (wrapping the tendon in an artificial sheath) at the same time that I had my major shoulder surgery done.

Today my shoulder is at the 100% mark. But I went through 8 or 9 months of therapy two or three times a week. On my "off days" I used my in-home duplication of the PT equipment. I had overhead pulleys, elastic bands, plastic pipe, weights, etc. My SIL worked for Mayo clinic and they would only pay for two PT visits. Today she can't comb her hair or unbutton her bra. That is because she wasn't coached into or committed to doing extensive therapy. I did therapy (including my own at-home stuff) for about 250 days). To paraphrase poet Robert Frost (in his "Two roads diverged") ...that made all the difference !!

Holy Moly! From 100% torn to 100% fixed is amazing!!!! Congrats on that.

I also have "the stuff" at home. Up until the MRI showed my problem, I was doing breast cancer pt, which probably made this worse, as I sure wasn't getting better. I want my shoulder back, I can take it easy and do as prescribed, not push beyond where I should. But but but, TWO visit limit? My insurance will cover more than that, but my problem will be transport. I am not going to be able to not drive for over a month but it is sounding like that's not going to be my biggest problem with this.

Great shares by all, I so appreciate it. Funny that the first surgeon didn't mention any of this, but it could be because I didn't know quite what to ask. Thanks to the input from this awesome Tug community, I am better prepared for the consults. This is clearly a much bigger deal than I thought.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also fantastic info. I actually didn't have big hopes for total fix, I just need more utility and way less pain. The burning is really bad this week for some reason.

I will have a total of 3 opinions, unless I so dislike or distrust one of the remaining 2 that I add another to the mix. Brutal +long recovery is quite something to consider. But not sure PT is going to do it. I get the idea mine is kind of run of the mill but will have to dig deeper with the remaining doctors. First said it's not going to get better on its own and I believe him at this point.

Sleeping sitting up, yeah, did that for nose fix. Don't have that dual recliner couch any more, hopefully I won't have to do that. yikes, crap, I am so glad to hear all these different experiences!

I was really, really surprised that the PT worked. I did range of motion exercises mostly. I was in so much pain that I couldn’t sleep. I was taking about 8 Advil a day and simply couldn’t keep doing that. Somewhat miraculously things got a lot better in six weeks and I was able to do normal things about two weeks later.

geekette

Reaction score
I was really, really surprised that the PT worked. I did range of motion exercises mostly. I was in so much pain that I couldn’t sleep. I was taking about 8 Advil a day and simply couldn’t keep doing that. Somewhat miraculously things got a lot better in six weeks and I was able to do normal things about two weeks later.

the thing is, this happened night of lumpectomy, a year and a half ago, so I have had 3 different rounds of breast cancer pt, which is a lot of range of motion and some strength. Then, after that, this problem was finally diagnosed. I have rehabbed from the wrong problem multiple times but maybe would be same regimen. the pain never went away. I have range of motion, the problem is pain of motion and weakness I can't get past. Add in the spine crap for periodic tingling fingers, and I'm faced with picking off whatever normal fixes there are to see what's left. The radiation set me back horribly and could be some of the burning, hard to say, my entire upper left quadrant is a mess. Any relief at all from fixing this helps, even though life may get a lot worse again.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
the thing is, this happened night of lumpectomy, a year and a half ago, so I have had 3 different rounds of breast cancer pt, which is a lot of range of motion and some strength. Then, after that, this problem was finally diagnosed. I have rehabbed from the wrong problem multiple times but maybe would be same regimen. the pain never went away. I have range of motion, the problem is pain of motion and weakness I can't get past. Add in the spine crap for periodic tingling fingers, and I'm faced with picking off whatever normal fixes there are to see what's left. The radiation set me back horribly and could be some of the burning, hard to say, my entire upper left quadrant is a mess. Any relief at all from fixing this helps, even though life may get a lot worse again.

I so hope you can get this resolved. It must be very hard for you to deal with day to day. Hope you can get it taken care of and be on the road to recovery very soon.