• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Room theft at timeshare- rental guest

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Yep, I'd turn those tables quickly. "Wow, I'm so sorry that happened to you. I'm glad you filed a police report. Do you have travel insurance? Maybe they could help you."

There's no way that it is your responsibility.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
+1 stay out of it. You might want to also suggest that they file a claim with their homeowners insurance provider. It appears from the article below that this is a possibility.

https://usinsuranceagents.com/answe...otel-room-covered-under-home-insurance-policy

If their policy doesn't cover it, it's not your responsibility that they have an inferior policy. Also suggest that they check the credit cards they used for check-in incidentals and plane travel as those might also have travel loss coverage.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please stay out of it , let the local police and the timeshare security staff handle this problem.

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club
One of my rental guests informed me that he had his camera and wallet stolen from his timeshare unit. He has filed a police report. The timeshare's security department is also investigating.

Has this happened to anyone or to a renter at one of your timeshares? What do you think I should do. Should I start advocating with the resort or should I try to stay out of it?
Just curious- are there any wall safes at the resort? Its unusual that someone would leave a wallet laying out in their room, even if it is water park type resort. It might be something to bring up with management if the security department doesn't find out anything.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I think your renter would have a hard time proving you had a duty to protect his property and/or that you breached that duty.

I assume you didn't have a rental contract since you said nothing about it.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think your renter would have a hard time proving you had a duty to protect his property and/or that you breached that duty.

I assume you didn't have a rental contract since you said nothing about it.
I did have a rental agreement but it didn't have a section about theft.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

I'm sure the resort has something in their occupancy conditions that they are not to be held liable for loss of personal property. If the resort can't be held liable, it's hard to see how you could be.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
@chapjim is dead on. Both with the renter having a hard time putting any blame on you, and with the resort/hotel policy. That is mostly what I see, heck, even a lot of the wall safes have a sticker on the front that says the resort/hotel cannot be held responsible for lost or stolen items.... false sense of security.
I always worry when I leave things in hotel safes. But, after going to Vietnam for 10 days and not getting the wads of cash stolen, I figure a wallet with nothing but 2 credit cards shouldn't be a big attraction.
Again, stay out of it. Don't call the resort or police unless they call you and don't feel bad for this renter. Sympathy sure, but it in NO WAY is your responsibility.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I'll just add this thought - do you know your renter did not do something silly - such as leave a door unlocked or open?
Let the people there handle this. If I were renting from someone, and this happened to me it would be quite the stretch to look to you for any assistance or blame...

Leaving his wallet unattended probably falls into the "silly" category. Maybe the camera, also, if it was an expensive camera.

Was there a safe available in the unit?

Sheila

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the rental have an insurance policy liked a home owner policy, credit card insurance or some type of vacation insurance policy that may cover their losses?

The rental needs to file a police report and attach that report to all his credit card holders, DMV, IRS, and retail accounts, etc.

He needs to placed a freeze on his FiCA accounts with all three (3) credit bureaus.

Last edited:

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2

This is some standard rental agreement contract language. No lawyer, and no mention of theft specifically, but neither is assault, tripping or a litany of causes. "The rental is solely for the renter’s occupancy of the unit for the rental period." and. "You agree to abide by all rules and regulations of the resort during your stay."

I think this covers about everything. however, after reading this thread, I will be adding a statement recommending the renter purchases insurance.

TilleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll be renting out my week. I'm looking for a rental contract I can use. Please help!

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll be renting out my week. I'm looking for a rental contract I can use. Please help!
I have never used a rental contract to rent from anyone. We verbally agree, I pay, they send a guest reservation. Very simple transaction no need for a rental agreement IMHO.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Sorry this happened. We have been fortunate (so far) with renting and exchanging.
I agree with others, let the police handle it.
Silentg

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I have never used a rental contract to rent from anyone. We verbally agree, I pay, they send a guest reservation. Very simple transaction no need for a rental agreement IMHO.
I would never rent without a contract. Too many things can be misunderstood.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would never rent without a contract. Too many things can be misunderstood.
I find a rental agreement is unnecessary. There can never be a contract that covers all issues or circumstances. Bottom line I feel there has to be no responsibility of a renter for a theft that takes place in a room I renting.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always use a rental agreement when renting out my owned weeks and also when I'm the tenant. I have a clause in my agreement that strongly suggests my renter buy travel insurance. Honestly, up til now, I hadn't really thought about theft. Since my renter is there as my guest, I would think they would be treated as I would as the owner. I would empathize, but stay out of it. I would never in a million years ask an owner to be accountable for theft. I have to wonder, as someone else above stated, if you are being scammed.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I find a rental agreement is unnecessary. There can never be a contract that covers all issues or circumstances. Bottom line I feel there has to be no responsibility of a renter for a theft that takes place in a room I renting.
Your choice.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I have rented many times and it works for me.
You keep saying that. Good for you. Hope your experiences never change. As I've said, it's your choice. Mine is to use a rental agreement.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
You keep saying that. Good for you. Hope your experiences never change. As I've said, it's your choice. Mine is to use a rental agreement.
If it works for you great. I feel its all unnecessary. Its a room rental very simple verbal agreement works fine. Know who your dealing with as I have. No need to have a written rental agreement IMHO. If you need to have a lawyer review all of you're rental agreements if it works for you. I personally think no written agreement is more important then a hand shake or verbal agreement.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
It was a little motel conversion water park in the Wisconsin Dells. Polynesian Resort and Water Park.
I don’t consider it a small resort, but the dells is filled with over five thousand summer workers from other countries. They have barely enough money to get by. They work two or three jobs and have no transportation between jobs. They walk or buy a bike or are forced to pay a lot for a taxi. I can see it happening.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t consider it a small resort, but the dells is filled with over five thousand summer workers from other countries. They have barely enough money to get by. They work two or three jobs and have no transportation between jobs. They walk or buy a bike or are forced to pay a lot for a taxi. I can see it happening.
My question is how does it matter if you rented or are a owner? Who do you hold responsible besides the thief? Theft cannot be prevented .

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
If it works for you great. I feel its all unnecessary. Its a room rental very simple verbal agreement works fine. Know who your dealing with as I have. No need to have a written rental agreement IMHO. If you need to have a lawyer review all of you're rental agreements if it works for you. I personally think no written agreement is more important then a hand shake or verbal agreement.
Okay, okay, I get your point. You can give it up now.