• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Room Sizes & Occupancy

zjhasan1976

Reaction score
This is a newbie question so I hope that the experienced folks are able to provide input.

There seems to be a big variance in the size of one bedroom units designated for '4 adults'.

Example:

1 bedroom Premium Villa in SDO is 790 square feet.
1 bedroom Premium Villa in SVV is 900 square feet.
1 bedroom Premium Villa in WKOR is 900 square feet.
1 bedroom Premium Villa in Lagunamar is 740 square feet.
1 bedroom Premium Villa in Atlantis is 862 square feet.

IMO, 700 square feet is a lot of space. Is it safe to assume that the head counts are for adults only and they would be fine with a combination of 2 adults/3 kids or 3 adults/2 kids?

I can see the rationale for a 400 or 500 square foot studio villa being designated for 4 adults max but how does this logic apply to one bedroom units that are almost twice the size?

My reason for asking is that if I can save some points by going in a 1 bedroom premium vs. a 2 bedroom, I can use those for future banking or something else.

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Some of the other members can probably be more specific, but I know that at least several of the resorts explicitly allow a rollaway to sleep 5. WKORV and HRA allow this in the 1 bed premium, for example.

That said, we far prefer having the 2 bed lockoff even with just 2 adults and 2 kids. On vacation we want to feel like we have plenty of space to spread out -- one of the main reasons for timeshares as opposed to hotel rooms in the first place. YMMV!

zjhasan1976

Reaction score
Some of the other members can probably be more specific, but I know that at least several of the resorts explicitly allow a rollaway to sleep 5. WKORV and HRA allow this in the 1 bed premium, for example.

That said, we far prefer having the 2 bed lockoff even with just 2 adults and 2 kids. On vacation we want to feel like we have plenty of space to spread out -- one of the main reasons for timeshares as opposed to hotel rooms in the first place. YMMV!

Totally agree on the privacy thing! How particular are the resorts if we exceed the 4 adult maximum? I can see it being an issue at HRA because they give you access to Atlantis. How about other places?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I do not see 700 sqft as large - and there are only 2 of use.
Occupancy is occupancy - it is not based on adults vs. children.
Some resorts will bring in roll aways - but I would not assume this and make sure you confirm with particular resort.
Remember that there is also a kitchen/eating area and more area than a standard hotel room. And bathrooms often bigger than they need to be.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Totally agree on the privacy thing! How particular are the resorts if we exceed the 4 adult maximum? I can see it being an issue at HRA because they give you access to Atlantis. How about other places?

Not sure about 5 adults in a 1 bed premium. Perhaps another TUGger with direct experience can chime in. Sorry!

zjhasan1976

Reaction score
Not sure about 5 adults in a 1 bed premium. Perhaps another TUGger with direct experience can chime in. Sorry!
Oh, I am not asking about 5 adults. I was asking about a combination of either 2 adults/3 kids or 3 adults/2 kids. I wish Vistana was more clear and used the term 'occupants' rather than 'adults'.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Oh, I am not asking about 5 adults. I was asking about a combination of either 2 adults/3 kids or 3 adults/2 kids. I wish Vistana was more clear and used the term 'occupants' rather than 'adults'.

Ah, I thought when you asked about exceeding the 4 adult maximum, you were talking about 5 adults.

As stated earlier, several of the resorts do specifically allow a 5th occupant and a rollaway despite the "4 adult" Vistana language. I'm not sure which resorts other than WKORV and HRA are on that list, though.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It varies from resort to resort.

At the Maui resorts, they allow 5 and a roll away in the one bedrooms - but not the studios. (But they will not put 5 on the confirmations, because that part of the confirmation is fixed.)

At Harborside, they allow 5 and a roll-away in the premium one bedroom - but not the small one bedroom. *At Harborside, the number of armbands you get is limited by the occupancy of the unit, so this is important.

On the confirmations, there is link to more info, and you can click on that link and scroll down to "bedding" and find out which units are allowed a roll-away at that particular resort.

-Don't count on what owner services tell you - the entry level people often provide the wrong info.

-Don't count on the info. on the website where Westin rents their own inventory - it often varies from the info. on the owner reservations.

1 bedroom Premium Villa in Atlantis is 862 square feet.
Please note that the timeshare is Harborside at Atlantis.

Atlantis is the hotel on the same property, and it's not even a Vistana property. Not trying to nitpick, but this is often confusing.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If Vistana allows 5, the question is on your own comfort level. With just the 2 of us travelling, we usually book 1BR premium, with small 1BR at a minimum, and prefer a 2BR if it does not cost much more. We love the extra space and extra bathroom of a 2BR.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
We did OK in a 1BR at WKORV-N with 2 adults in the bedroom and 3 older teenagers sleeping on the floor in the other room (they preferred the floor to the sofabed and a roll away). The main issue was one male and 4 females vying for the bathroom. Luckily the resort has nice 'public' bathrooms.

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it's a fire regulation thing. The local fire department can and might restrict how many people in what type of unit. YOU might be comfortable with 8 people in a sleeps 4 unit (and I probably would be okay - I come from a large family) BUT if there is a fire, they need people to be able to get out. Yes - I know everyone's 'panic level' is different and 2 people in a sleeps 4 might have an issue getting away safely but they make the rules for the majority (and the firefighters who need to rescue people in the event of a fire).

My advice is to call each individual resort.

zjhasan1976

Reaction score
I did find this policy on the Vistana websites when trying to book a villa using cash instead of points. My understanding from this is that 17 and unders do not count towards the 4 Adult maximum. I don't see why this wouldn't apply to points reservations.

FAMILY PLAN POLICY
Room rates include the accommodation of children (17 years old or younger) who sleep in the existing bedding of a guest room. Rollaway beds and cribs may incur extra charges.

EXTRA CHARGES
Note: At this hotel guests 17 and under are considered children. All other guests are considered adults.

• Extra rollaway: No charge
  • Child rollaway: USD 20.00 per rollaway/per night.
  • Crib: No charge
Note: not all rooms may be able to accommodate rollaways or cribs. Please contact the hotel directly for more information.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Timeshare reservations, and hotel type reservations have different rules, and different confirmations.

There is a link on the timeshare confirmations to the occupancy/bedding rules and they are different than the hotel type rentals.

Also, you are missing this - existing bedding means the beds that are already in the room:

Room rates include the accommodation of children (17 years old or younger) who sleep in the existing bedding of a guest room.

So if there are beds for 4 - you can have 4, plus a roll-away, in SOME units.