• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Room Assignments - Vidanta Nuevo Vallarta

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the elevator getting off on the 8th floor (penthouse level) of Building 5, one of the long time Members summarized Vidanta perfectly: “It is what it is.” As long as I have this philosophy and don’t care what room or view I get and don’t talk to the front desk or sales, then everything is fine. The cleaning ladies, shuttle staff, restaurants servers, and all the other employees work their hardest for little pay and the resort facilities are great.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We are at the Grand Mayan and have commented that there are fewer people here this week than there usually is for Thanksgiving week. The beach does not have as many people. I see more people near the kids pool area and lazy river than anywhere. We had no problem finding a shady spot near the wave pools at 10:30 while we waited for our new unit. We did notice quite a few multi-generational family units here - grandparents, grown kids, and smaller kids.

Last night, when I was looking at the GL units from the GM deck, there were not many lights on at 9:00. Therefore, there should be a lot of prime units available at all levels of ownership and if they would fill those first, there would be a lot of happy people with more pleasant experiences. If someone who never had an ocean view or stayed in a Grand Mayan or Grand Bliss were upgraded, they would be more willing to attend a presentation. That could help their sales more than the harassment from the sales staff.

Our new unit is significantly better than the one we were assigned on Saturday. Our son and daughter-in-law arrive tomorrow and they will enjoy being here. We are meeting some friends for Thanksgiving and hanging out at an all-inclusive place on a day pass for something different to do.

We will move to the Buganvilias Sky Suites on Saturday for our final week in PV. There, because we bought their top tier unit, they greet us with champagne, special check-in, and the MF cost 1/2 as much as a GL 2-bedroom unit! We have 2 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2 kitchens, 2 balconies - one is large with an ocean & city view. They even take us back to the airport in one of their Suburbans. (Something that was included in pre-construction contract.) AND - when we use a RCI exchange or extra vacation, they assign us to one of the 2-bedroom oceanfront units. It is not a Sky Suite, but is nice and so close to the ocean.

Last edited:

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are at the Grand Mayan and have commented that there are fewer people here this week than there usually is for Thanksgiving week. The beach does not have as many people. I see more people near the kids pool area and lazy river than anywhere. We had no problem finding a shady spot near the wave pools at 10:30 while we waited for our new unit. We did notice quite a few multi-generational family units here - grandparents, grown kids, and smaller kids.

Last night, when I was looking at the GL units from the GM deck, there were not many lights on at 9:00. Therefore, there should be a lot of prime units available at all levels of ownership and if they would fill those first, there would be a lot of happy people with more pleasant experiences. If someone who never had an ocean view or stayed in a Grand Mayan or Grand Bliss were upgraded, they would be more willing to attend a presentation. That could help their sales more than the harassment from the sales staff.

Our new unit is significantly better than the one we were assigned on Saturday. Our son and daughter-in-law arrive tomorrow and they will enjoy being here. We will move to the Buganvilias Sky Suites on Saturday for our final week in PV. There, because we bought their top tier unit, they greet us with champagne, special check-in, and the MF cost 1/2 as much as a GL 2-bedroom unit! We have 2 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2 kitchens, 2 balconies - one is large with an ocean & city view. They even take us back to the airport in one of their Suburbans. (Something that was included in pre-construction contracts)

I agree. It seems empty this week compared to August. The weather is beautiful this week. They should be putting you in the best units as a long time member and as a Grand Luxxe member staying at the Grand Mayan. The service here is terrible. This is not a way to get new members or a way to get people to upgrade. We could pay cash today to upgrade to the next level if we were treated better but we will never upgrade at Nuevo Vallarta. We are not even sure we will ever return to this location. Let’s see how we like Riviera Maya in January. That may become our home resort. Excellent, courteous service and ethics (no lies and keeping promises) mean everything to me. Nuevo Vallarta’s shady tactics of putting members in bad rooms and then making them go to presentations to get an upragde is very unethical in my opinion. I can sort of understand putting non-members in lesser rooms but they should not get an upgrade since they need to save the best rooms for members.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Riviera Maya is great. We have been there several times, but not for a while. We are going there in late April and will be staying in a 2-bedroom Grand Bliss for 2 weeks. The employees there are super nice!

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Riviera Maya is great. We have been there several times, but not for a while. We are going there in late April and will be staying in a 2-bedroom Grand Bliss for 2 weeks. The employees there are super nice!

That is good to hear. Is the service there better than Nuevo Vallarta? I have read they have better service since they do not have ocean views. I hope so because I think I will be happier with better service.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We have not been there for several years, but have been there 4 times since they opened around 2002 and everyone was pleasant and even though we did not do an update, back in 2007, one of the Sales people told us to be sure to go over to the office and sign up for our Senior Certificates. We did that and were there about 15 minutes! We may try to get our photo ID card when we are there in April.

We were there in November 2005 just weeks after the hurricane and the employees were so grateful that we came. To them it meant that they would have jobs and people would return!

Once we moved to the Phoenix area, it is so much easier to come to PV - 2 hour 15 minute non-stop flight. :) It is a longer and more expensive trip to Cancun and Acapulco now.

Our extended family likes PV the best, so we come here for Thanksgiving and except for a few times, our week 47 is Thanksgiving week at Buganvilias. This is one of those years so we snagged a $359 II Getaway for this trip. Last year we used an SFX Bonus week to come here. We love Grand Luxxe, but the MF are really high and I will continue to use Bonus weeks or Getaways until our Senior Certificates kick in. For the cost of one GL week, we can stay 2 weeks at Buganvilias and our "kids" like the location better because they like the places along the Malecon.

As I have said before - what they told the preschoolers when my grandson was 4 - "You get what you get and don't have a fit", and we sort of went by that. This time however, we did feel that we were being singled out and given an awful location because we would not go to the update. If the resort was full, that is one thing - someone has to have that unit. But, this place may have 50% occupancy this week, so there had to be a better unit. We did not ask for a top floor ocean view, just a unit that was not right over the a/c units and across from the laundry vents.

Last edited:

travs2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pure and simple.....they do not care about any owner at any level. Their corporate line is " your opinion is important to us".......clearly it is not by reading these comments. We have been asking for small straight backed chairs down on the beach for over ten years and as our last trip.....only uncomfortable green lounge chairs are down there. We love being at the beach but I do not like sitting in those lounge chairs. If they really cared about owners they would consider this simple request and put some down there. Every year they ask us to do a survey and every year we say the same thing. Does anyone in management ever read those things? They say they do but so many people are asking and giving constructive comments that are never addressed! Sad that such a beautiful place sends people away with negative and agitated feelings . They are only interested in creating a culture of greed......so that people will upgrade with a best and better mentality .......very sad....They do not care about their owners as I said....pure and simple no matter what they say!!!

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Here in NV, there are some wood straight back chairs down on the beach. Many Palapas have 4 lounge chairs, a wood chair, and a wood table. In Acapulco where the Palapas are rectangular and they have had 4 lounge chairs and 2 Adirondack style chairs for yers!

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is good to hear. Is the service there better than Nuevo Vallarta? I have read they have better service since they do not have ocean views. I hope so because I think I will be happier with better service.

Been to Nuevo Vallarta twice (Grand Luxxe and Grand Bliss). Been to Riviera Maya (Grand Luxxe) 4-5 times.
Personally I think the service is much better at RM.

NV seemed so large, nobody cared, or the disorganization was so bad that you'd get wrong things (ie, ask for a crib and get 3 of them delivered to the room over the course of 3 days after having to call multiple times). Maintenance guy shows up with a frying pan (?) that someobody ordered (not us). But hey, we'll take the extra frying pan.

Now, we don't own at either (always exchanges). I heard many complaints from owners at NV about how they never get an ocean view (personally I don't think there's many "ocean" views based upon the layout. River view or Resort view, yes--for GL). Anyway, one lady in particular was very vocal about owning for 14 years and never getting an ocean view. I could see/understand if I forked out $250,000 for GL to not get something.

I've only gone to ONE sales. We knew full well what we were getting into though. NV. 90-minute presentation was 4.5 hours. They were a bit rude towards the end and were actually ticked off that we didn't buy anything. The program was *very* confusing, IMO as to how it worked. I would never suggest to anyone to attend a presentation of any sort. If they kept to the 90 minutes, then that's one thing. I'll even give an extra 15 minutes "grace period". But 4.5 hours? Nope. (again, we knew it would be 4 hours before doing it, but we had like 7 rooms and got 10% off all the room charges, etc. as it was a family reunion).

RM is smaller resort vs. NV. RM has no lazy river (I know, supposedly going to open, but I'll believe it when I see it). On the other hand, RM has Cirque du Soleil theater/show. Beach (in terms of sand) is about the same at both, IMO. Now, "walking" into the ocean is a diff. story. NV is better, RM has lots of coral (just like Puerto Morelos, etc.)

However, RM being on the Caribbean side, the water is clearer, warmer, IMO. Especially in January-Feb. In NV, the water temps are much colder (IMO) and the water is very cloudy that time of year. If you like to snorkel, either visit NV in the summer, or go elsewhere. 70-72 F water temps are too cold for me, especially with maybe a 3' visibility. I'll take RM/Cozumel that time of year with 76-78 F water temps and much better visibility.

But it all depends on what you want to do. I'd still go back to either one, but prefer RM over NV. I actually would prefer Puerto Vallarta over NV only because I think there's more culture to experience. But some people don't like to do that, they just want to stay on the resort and be pampered, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Try them both. See what *you* like the best. Just don't do sales presentations! haha

travs2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Phyllis for checking out the chairs down on the beach. Nice to finally see that there are smaller straight backed chairs down there.....probably the ones they use for weddings and special occasions.....not the most comfortable but ok if one doesn't want to sit on the green loungers..... Hope you have a wonderful vacation with your family!

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's really disappointing, to say the least, that they pull those slimy tactics on long-time members (who really are their investment base). And it was so obvious because you were both moved or offered to move mid-week after you stood your ground and refused an update.
I have to think this is all going to come back to bite them, but who knows. Seems these days some bad guys get pretty good mileage.

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
While Vidanta is 30 years old, for all intensive purposes, it is less than 10 years old. It has only started to grow since about 2010 or so. Grand Luxxe is a new brand. No one in the USA has heard of the Grand Luxxe. Vidanta is overbuilding like a housing boom. In the next recession, which should come soon (since technically the world has had continual growth since 2009) Vidanta will probably have cash flow problems. Luxury goods are the usually the first to suffers in recessions. Vidanta’s biggest problem is that it offers luxury goods to a middle and upper middle class market. In general, the truly wealthy who are insulated from recessions do not buy timeshares from companies like Vidanta.

We have used Grand Luxxe one time after purchase and already thinking we may not continue to use for 10 years. I have contacted several rental companies to rent out my weeks and everyone had said no because there is an oversupply of members wanting to rent and not enough demand, and that is why the rental price is so low. They said they can’t afford to take on new clients. One rental company said they get emails like mine everyday.

There is no way out with Vidanta like with other good timeshares. The only thing we can do is warn other potential buyers to not buy. It is better to rent a few times before they are absolutely certain they love the product. I wish I would have followed through with rescinding and came back on an exchange. With more time to decide and less pressure, maybe I would be a happy member.

Last edited:

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
There is no way out with Vidanta like with other good timeshares. The only thing we can do is warn other potential buyers to not buy. It is better to rent a few times before they are absolutely certain they love the product. I wish I would have followed through with rescinding and came back on an exchange. With more time to decide and less pressure, maybe I would be a happy member.

Actually, I don't really agree that there is really no way out for Vidanta like other timeshares. In my observation, the timeshare industry unless attached to a major hotel chain is a dying industry. If you are not growing, you are dying in the resort business.

While I am questioning the sales ethics and how they treat their long term owners, their business plan and acumen appear pretty sound. They sell strongly and use that cash to build. Being basically cash flow based should allow them to easily weather a recession - they just slow or stop building & expanding. They have existing owners, exchangers, and anyone off the street they can rent to at whatever it takes to keep the buildings full. They are not restricted as are traditional timeshares.

I perceive the company will continue to grow and expand regardless how they choose to treat their existing owners; Personally. I believe in the long run they would do better if they respected long term owners regardless whether the owners were staying put with what they own or expanding.

Mike

Last edited:

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, I don't really agree that there is really no way out for Vidanta like other timeshares. In my observation, the timeshare industry unless attached to a major hotel chain is a dying industry. If you are not growing, you are dying in the resort business.

While I am questioning the sales ethics and how they treat their long term owners, their business plan and acumen appears pretty sound. They sell strongly and use that cash to build. Being basically cash flow based should allow them to easily weather a recession - they just slow or stop building & expanding. They have existing owners, exchangers, and anyone off the street they can rent to at whatever it takes to keep the buildings full. They are not restricted as are traditional timeshares.

I perceive the company will continue to grow and expand regardless how they choose to treat their existing owners; Personally. I believe in the long run they would do better if they respected long term owners regardless if they were staying put on what they own or expanding.

Mike

So if we decide we no longer want to use our membership, what could we do with it? We can’t sell it because there is no resale market. The rental agencies aren’t taking new customers. I will not waste my time renting it myself because the profit margin is tiny, if any. So what are the options besides losing our upfront fee, paying the remaining 5 mandatory maintenance fees and letting the contract expire in 10 years? Of course, we will probably use it occasionally but not enough to make it pay off. There is no way we will come to Grand Luxxe 3 weeks a year every year for the next 10 years. That is too much when we have so many other vacation options.

P.S. For me, the major turn off is the sales ethics. Customer service and ethics mean everything to me. I can’t refer people here if the ethics are bad. I can’t keep coming back to a resort with bad ethics. I would rather lose my money than return some place that is slimy and unethical.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Haven’t been there enough times yet to have a fully developed opinion on the trend in customer experience, but it sounds like the issues are predominantly related to room assignments and sales. My take on things is that once I upgrade to the penthouse, I won’t have an issue with room assignments because I can manage that by making strategic choices of rooms. As far as sales experience goes, it also sounds manageable.

Not sure another recession would matter that much. Isn’t that when they started GL?

Ballooner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
I am currently staying at the Grand Luxxe Villa in Nuevo. Usually we get good room assignments - sometimes in Tower 1 but mostly in Tower 2; this time we were assigned the worst possible villa location - floor 1, Tower 4, facing the river.

While I know the general belief on this forum is that owners get better room assignments than exchangers, I have always questioned whether that was true and how much influence sales has on that process. I realize that as an owner, I have paid less than most starting with a resale and being here on my Senior Discount, so it is logical that I would get a low room assignment compared to other owners - but logically above exchangers.

Here's my question to Tuggers. Are there exchangers here now or during the week of Nov 11-17 that are staying at the Grand Luxxe Villa? If so, can you tell me your floor and tower number. This would be a good test to see if Vidanta owners really get better room assignments than exchangers. I suspect they do not.

On the good side, once you get over the fact you don't have a view, everything else is still the same and you still have a great time.

Mike
We are owners with "gold" status. We are on the 6th floor of tower 4 looking at golf. I begged for the other side but to no avail. I'm flabbergasted that yoy are on the first floor. Wer are also using senior cert this week which I think hurt us checking in.

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven’t been there enough times yet to have a fully developed opinion on the trend in customer experience, but it sounds like the issues are predominantly related to room assignments and sales. My take on things is that once I upgrade to the penthouse, I won’t have an issue with room assignments because I can manage that by making strategic choices of rooms. As far as sales experience goes, it also sounds manageable.

Not sure another recession would matter that much. Isn’t that when they started GL?

During the recession, it was cheap to buy land and build. So it makes sense they started building Grand Luxxe then and expanding if they had cash. Remember that income inequality increased during the Great Recession because anyone with cash bought up real estate from the folks who were defaulting. However, now they are overbuilding and may not be prepared for the next recession. Let’s hope they are prepared. My main concern is they may be overdoing it now because the overbuilding is driving down the rental prices for Grand Luxxe. You can rent Grand Luxxe for very little and rental agencies are not taking new customers due to lack of demand.

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score

From where we come from, there are already signs of a recession coming. We live in the most expensive real estate market in the United States. We are seeing commercial real estate vacancies start and significant price drops. I’ve been tracking it because I am looking for a new office. While already the highest in the nation, Real estate price doubled in our area since 2012. We live in a geographic area that declines before the rest of the USA and recovers more quickly. We have short recessions but they predict what will happen in the rest of the country and the world. We do not personally care what happens since we have no skin in the game. We feel bad for all the people where these things do matter or who never recovered from the last recession. We feel really bad for the folks buying Vidanta products with the hope of growth and who may or may not get that.

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
They already own East Cape and other lands elsewhere. If room assignments mean that much, I would draft my own addendum to negotiate on the subject rather than count on them. Something like:

Room assignment requests made by member to member services 3 weeks prior to the check in date will be honored for reservations made through Vidanta or the San Francisco Exchange using the privilege week program. In the event member’s room assignment request cannot be fulfilled due to extenuating circumstances, member will be credited 25% of usage fee towards charges to the stay.

He who writes the contract has the upper hand in negotiating.

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
They already own East Cape and other lands elsewhere. If room assignments mean that much, I would draft my own addendum to negotiate on the subject rather than count on them. Something like:

Room assignment requests made by member to member services 3 weeks prior to the check in date will be honored for reservations made through Vidanta or the San Francisco Exchange using the privilege week program. In the event member’s room assignment request cannot be fulfilled due to extenuating circumstances, member will be credited 25% of usage fee towards charges to the stay.

He who writes the contract has the upper hand in negotiating.

They will absolutely never agree to that. If you are able to negotiate that, please let us know. Whoever can negotiate that will be the best negotiator on earth. Maybe that will be you, Eric. Please, please let us know. If I could get that addendum, I would upgrade in a minute. I think you might get that if you invested $1 million and were a Platinum Plus level member.

P.S. I asked for that addendum and they said no.

Last edited:

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
We are owners with "gold" status. We are on the 6th floor of tower 4 looking at golf. I begged for the other side but to no avail. I'm flabbergasted that yoy are on the first floor. Wer are also using senior cert this week which I think hurt us checking in.

Hello Ballooner, welcome to TUG.

If you are in Tower 4, floor 6, then I assume you are a Spa owner. Is that correct?

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score

We noticed that the Penthouse level of Building 5 says “Platinum” on the River side. So we suspect that Gold members are placed on the Golf course side of the PH floor. We were placed on the Golf course side of the PH floor. Based on your comment, perhaps Platinum members get the River side and Gold members get the Golf course side in general. This may be another strategy to get Gold Members to upgrade to Platinum level.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to all - even you Canadiens.

The family is coming today for a Texas Thanksgiving; smoked baby backs and a rack of Pork cooked on my Big Green Egg; we will have a turkey and dressing for our few traditionalists.

Mike

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to all - even you Canadiens.

The family is coming today for a Texas Thanksgiving; smoked baby backs and a rack of Pork cooked on my Big Green Egg; we will have a turkey and dressing for our few traditionalists.

Mike

FYI - Vidanta emails Canadians - Happy Thanksgiving - EVERY OCTOBER .

So someone there appreciates members backgrounds .

ENJOY the Family & food .