• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
I just had my HL week added to my MVC account. Annual HL Platinum $811 all in including closing with seller paying Maint fees and I get the 2018 week.
That’s great! Hoping mine passes too!!!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I just had my HL week added to my MVC account. Annual HL Platinum $811 all in including closing with seller paying Maint fees and I get the 2018 week.
I'm surprised that passed. Had willowridge plat taken for $1250 and had to reimburse for 2018 usage.

A manor club sequel plat did not pass for $1 all in.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

I just had one exercised for $1,750 with no free usage. See what I mean by not being able to predict it?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just had one exercised for $1,750 with no free usage. See what I mean by not being able to predict it?
No doubt. My opinion is the main purpose of ROFR for most timeshare companies is actually to create confusion and uncertainty. That's absolutely true with DVC. There are other variables I'm sure beyond just the financial metrics of priced, dues, closing, season, view type and the like. While I've never seen direct evidence for this, I think it's also possible they might exercise on someone who's communicated with them about a retail purchase within a timeframe as well hoping that will kick them to a retail purchase.

ruddski

Reaction score
I have had an MVC timeshare for years and switched to points when they first started allowing. I have a week in Grande Vista that is worth 2175 points. I was on vacation this weekend and attended a presentation where they offered a bundle that would get me just over 7000 points to executive level $30,000 with everything closing etc for 2500 points and a property for $9500 everything included that has a 2375 point value giving me 4875 total and just enough for Executive level. I have been thinking of getting more points but have been wary of secondary markets and how they will work with MVC as I only use for points. While I do not think it's a terrible deal I am considering rescinding as it will cost a lot per month and if I can't pay off early would make no sense at all. My first question is does it seem like a decent deal, and my second is as it was done as 2 separate purchases, has anyone tried rescinding the larger direct point purchase and keeping the bundle that was added as that is where the actual deal is? Keeping the property for 2375 points would also get me to the select level which would make me Gold level at Marriott rewards.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I have had an MVC timeshare for years and switched to points when they first started allowing. I have a week in Grande Vista that is worth 2175 points. I was on vacation this weekend and attended a presentation where they offered a bundle that would get me just over 7000 points to executive level $30,000 with everything closing etc for 2500 points and a property for $9500 everything included that has a 2375 point value giving me 4875 total and just enough for Executive level. I have been thinking of getting more points but have been wary of secondary markets and how they will work with MVC as I only use for points. While I do not think it's a terrible deal I am considering rescinding as it will cost a lot per month and if I can't pay off early would make no sense at all. My first question is does it seem like a decent deal, and my second is as it was done as 2 separate purchases, has anyone tried rescinding the larger direct point purchase and keeping the bundle that was added as that is where the actual deal is? Keeping the property for 2375 points would also get me to the select level which would make me Gold level at Marriott rewards.
$30K for 4,875 points equates to $6.15 per point, which is pretty good for these bundle packages. They usually come in at around $7 a point +/- a few cents.

As for attempting to rescind on the points and letting the week purchase proceed, in hopes you may slip one past the goalie and still have MVC enroll the week, that seems chancy to me. You very well may just end up with an overpriced resale week that they will not allow to be enrolled since you did not go through with your points purchase as part of the bundle.

ruddski

Reaction score
it was $30000 plus $9500 for the 4875 points which is 8.1 dollars per point. Was thinking it is a purchase through Marriott so not sure if that automatically give me the point option, I also received 300,000 rewards points

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Sorry.....I just read "$30K with everything" and glossed over the cost for the week. $8.10 per point is not a great bundle price. Unless you want to be brave and try your tricky stuff, I would walk on this deal.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other red flag to me is that you might be financing this purchase. Considering the after tax financing cost, this does not sound prudent to me. Similar (and better) offers are always around. Rescind, put those payments into a separate account as necessary, then pull the trigger when you can pay cash for an offer of perhaps $7 all in (I just passed on one for $6.80...good deal, just wasn’t ready to do it unless they would throw in enrollment of several post 2010 ineligible weeks). Better yet, put the purchase on a Chase Sapphire Reserve, SPG, or Marriott card, then pay the full balance when due. Best of luck.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My first question is does it seem like a decent deal, and my second is as it was done as 2 separate purchases, has anyone tried rescinding the larger direct point purchase and keeping the bundle that was added as that is where the actual deal is? Keeping the property for 2375 points would also get me to the select level which would make me Gold level at Marriott rewards.

You cannot rescind the points and keep the week enrolled. The week actually takes longer to close than the points and if you don't have the points purchase, it will not enroll after closing of the week purchase.

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
Had willowridge plat taken for $1250 and had to reimburse for 2018 usage.

Sold my Annual Platinum Willow Ridge for $1,250 inclusive of closing and transfer costs with buyer reimbursing me for 2018 usage. Passed ROFR with Marriott signing the waiver on 01/11/18. Added to ROFR.NET

They must just flip a coin on some of these transactions.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Sold my Annual Platinum Willow Ridge for $1,250 inclusive of closing and transfer costs with buyer reimbursing me for 2018 usage. Passed ROFR with Marriott signing the waiver on 01/11/18. Added to ROFR.NET

They must just flip a coin on some of these transactions.
No rhyme or reason to rofr.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Or they can't sell Aruba as DC Trust Points. I think this may be why we see Aruba at a lower ROFR threshold.

I suspect Marriott is having trouble selling Aruba and St Kitts because they are currently being offered as enrolled deeded resale weeks in the $25K - $30K range and come with 4000+ points per year. Not a bad deal for getting an oceanview week convertible to DC Points.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
No doubt. My opinion is the main purpose of ROFR for most timeshare companies is actually to create confusion and uncertainty. That's absolutely true with DVC. There are other variables I'm sure beyond just the financial metrics of priced, dues, closing, season, view type and the like. While I've never seen direct evidence for this, I think it's also possible they might exercise on someone who's communicated with them about a retail purchase within a timeframe as well hoping that will kick them to a retail purchase.

I think this is a very skeptical view. DVC is actually very predictable if you follow the timeshare news. I do not think any of the major branded timeshare companies are trying to create confusion. The fact that they do not behave as Tuggers want them to behave does not mean they are purposely trying to create confusion. The problem is Tuggers are very price sensitive, sometimes down to pennies. If you look at the big picture, the trends are not confusing at all. Big companies are not concerned about pennies since they have super intelligent and strategic folks looking at the big picture. Tuggers (in general) take a very short term view. I find it ridiculous to worry about a $100 price difference yet when I made an offer on a DVC contract, the owner countered by $100. So silly. Of course, I agreed. That contract has now gone up by $20 per point in just a short time. I had no clue whether it would increase and it seemed expensive at the time, yet I thought squabbling over $100 was silly. Big picture thinking is critical.

Last edited:

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Sorry.....I just read "$30K with everything" and glossed over the cost for the week. $8.10 per point is not a great bundle price. Unless you want to be brave and try your tricky stuff, I would walk on this deal.

Bundled pricing for MVC is in the $7 - $8 per point range. I just inquired and all the offers came in this range. Plus they offered me 2500 - 5000 one time bonus points depending on the program.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this is a very skeptical view. DVC is actually very predictable if you follow the timeshare news. I do not think any of the major branded timeshare companies are trying to create confusion. The fact that they do not behave as Tuggers want them to behave does not mean they are purposely trying to create confusion. The problem is Tuggers are very price sensitive, sometimes down to pennies. If you look at the big picture, the trends are not confusing at all. Big companies are not concerned about pennies since they have super intelligent and strategic folks looking at the big picture. Tuggers (in general) take a very short term view. I find it ridiculous to worry about a $100 price difference yet when I made an offer on a DVC contract, the owner countered by $100. So silly. Of course, I agreed. That contract has now gone up by $20 per point in just a short time. I had no clue whether it would increase and it seemed expensive at the time, yet I thought squabbling over $100 was silly. Big picture thinking is critical.
They are somewhat predictable within a range but I can tell you for certain the main goal is to drive people to retail, not to buy buy "cheaply" under ROFR. They consistently make more money on retail than they do on resale on a per point basis. I can tell you for certain that the unpredictability, or appearance of unpredictability, is a large part of the plan. But they have to use good fiscal policies so yes, you can predict somewhat within a range. But even more than described here, the story of one contract being taken and another basically identical one or better one passing have been everywhere over the years.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
They are somewhat predictable within a range but I can tell you for certain the main goal is to drive people to retail, not to buy buy "cheaply" under ROFR. They consistently make more money on retail than they do on resale on a per point basis. I can tell you for certain that the unpredictability, or appearance of unpredictability, is a large part of the plan. But they have to use good fiscal policies so yes, you can predict somewhat within a range. But even more than described here, the story of one contract being taken and another basically identical one or better one passing have been everywhere over the years.

Of course they do not want people to buy "cheaply." That is the purpose of ROFR for all timeshare companies. Maybe they have a quota or a budget for buy backs and that is why some pass and some don't at the same price. Maybe they know the names of folks who keep trying to lowball them and perhaps they are rejecting those deals sometimes. If a deal passes within a few percentage points of another deal, that is still predictable within a range. I think Tuggers are wanting corporations to behave in a predictable and beneficial manner and that is unrealistic.

ChiKate

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just submitted ROFR request for waiver on a Mountainside Fixed Week 7. Fingers crossed that Marriott doesn't have interest in buying pricier fixed weeks!!

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Just submitted ROFR request for waiver on a Mountainside Fixed Week 7. Fingers crossed that Marriott doesn't have interest in buying pricier fixed weeks!!

Price? I can’t imagine it won’t go through. No week 7 on ROFR.net and I've only seen one listed...though obviously there are a bunch there as it's not a fixed unit like Maui.

I've often wondered, has Marriott ever taken anything over $20k in the last few years.

Last edited:

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Update as of today- Marriott exercised ROFR on the Harbour Lake plat EOY I was trying to buy for $450. Dean- where did you pick up yours? Wondering if there are any more to be had!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course they do not want people to buy "cheaply." That is the purpose of ROFR for all timeshare companies. Maybe they have a quota or a budget for buy backs and that is why some pass and some don't at the same price. Maybe they know the names of folks who keep trying to lowball them and perhaps they are rejecting those deals sometimes. If a deal passes within a few percentage points of another deal, that is still predictable within a range. I think Tuggers are wanting corporations to behave in a predictable and beneficial manner and that is unrealistic.
The issue for ROFR is simply to encourage people to buy retail, nothing more or less. Obviously there are moving parts but it is that simple. Certainly the more they have to spend to buy resale, the more uncertainty they can inject into the equation and the more smoke and mirrors they can put in place; the more people will buy retail.

Update as of today- Marriott exercised ROFR on the Harbour Lake plat EOY I was trying to buy for $450. Dean- where did you pick up yours? Wondering if there are any more to be had!
Ebay. Sorry you didn't make it through. I had a GV Annual Platinum for $551 with free closing they took last year else I wouldn't even have gotten the HL.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana

Here’s another theory. If someone calls into Disney or Marriott asking to buy a particular resort, then perhaps they are more likely to buy that resort back at what appears to be a random time or for a random price.

Last year, I was on the wait list for VGF and I got it after they bought it back from someone else.

For Marriott, I was close to buying a hybrid package that included a Desert Springs or a Grand Vista plus DC Points (but I decided against that for now). Marriott told me they only had one Grande Vista week available at that moment. They probably need to buy back those weeks for hybrid packages, I assume.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here’s another theory. If someone calls into Disney or Marriott asking to buy a particular resort, then perhaps they are more likely to buy that resort back at what appears to be a random time or for a random price.

Last year, I was on the wait list for VGF and I got it after they bought it back from someone else.

For Marriott, I was close to buying a hybrid package that included a Desert Springs or a Grand Vista plus DC Points (but I decided against that for now). Marriott told me they only had one Grande Vista week available at that moment. They probably need to buy back those weeks for hybrid packages, I assume.
General subjective evidence would NOT suggest they target those who've contacted them and buy back selectively from ROFR. But they could if they wanted. I'd add that if one knows enough and is already planning to buy resale, it's best not to contact them or go through a tour for other reasons.