• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rocky Mountaineer or drive from Jasper? Opinions pls

bdurstta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Bear, Hyatt Vacation Club (Hyatt Highlands), Marriott (Grand Chateau)
Rocky Mountaineer is expensive, but is it better to ride the train or drive from Banff/LakeLouise/Jasper to Vancouver?

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What time of the year are you going to be there? How much time are you allotting for your trip?

Personally, I would drive as it gives you more flexibility - if going during the summer. If winter, I would suggest the train.

bdurstta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Bear, Hyatt Vacation Club (Hyatt Highlands), Marriott (Grand Chateau)
We are thinking of this June.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
The trains and highways between Vancouver and both Jasper and Banff follow the same paths so either way you will see the same scenery. With a Car you can stop where/when you wish to take a picture or pause to admire the views. It's a long drive, you may want to stop for a night somewhere in the middle to really allow yourself time to see the mountains and the scenery and the wildlife. It is still able to be done in one day, but it can be a long day at 10 hours. Although rare, you can get snow in the mountains in June so don't be surprised if you see some white stuff.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Agree with the comments and recommendations of both djyamyam and Mosescan. I have done this journey both by train (but Via Rail, not Rocky Mountaineer) and by car. In June there will certainly still be snow in the higher elevations, but generally the roads should be OK, but keep an eye on the weather forecasts. I would also recommend staying at least one or two nights somewhere on the trip. Having a car and breaking it into two or three days also allows you to stop and see some of the sights along the way. It is a beautiful drive.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
We drove from Jasper to Banff in a June and loved it. Stopped and took a ride out onto the glacier.

We also drove from Vancouver to Jasper and from Banff to Vancouver. It has been a few years, but as I recall, we stopped for at least one night to break up the drive both ways.

We ran into people from the train a couple of times. It looks like it would be great fun if money was no object, but you would lose the flexibility that having your own vehicle provides.

Great trip!

Sheila

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
The Icefield Parkway between Banff and Jasper is the only place I have ever seen mountain goats. You will see lots of bighorn sheep in both parks but goats are pretty rare YMMV. The Columbia Icefields is also a great way to spend an afternoon. It's amazing walking up there and seeing all the crevasses but go with the guided tour unless you have experience and the right equipment. You will see/hear the glacier calving pieces off the side of the mountain in the afternoon occasionally again YMMV. I spent a lot of time there teaching on mountain operations courses.

Enjoy your trip.

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Icefield Parkway between Banff and Jasper is the only place I have ever seen mountain goats. You will see lots of bighorn sheep in both parks but goats are pretty rare YMMV.

I don't typically see goats in Banff area but you can see them fairly regularly in Jasper area. #1 place is the parking lot of the Miette Hot Springs - have even seen them up in the back of a guy's truck where he had some seed scattered in the truck bed from something or another. You'll see them also around the turnoff off the highway to the JPL, just before Jasper townsite