TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Ring Doorbell - worth is for Cyber Monday Deals?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by BarbmC, Dec 2, 2019 at 3:22 PM.

1. BarbmC

BarbmC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Ocean Club Platinum 2BR
    Marriott BeachPlace Platinum 2BR
    Marriott Vacation Club points owner
    Wondering if its worth it to get the ring doorbell? They have the Pro for $159. And did you install it yourself? My husband, not handy at all. I can manage a screw driver and a hammer - can I do the installation?

2. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

yes, they replace your existing doorbell button/cover plate and take the power right from it...its usually a very simple install assuming you dont have some sort of extra complicated doorbell button on the outside (like something inlayed into brick or oversized vs a regular doorbell).

they also sell adapter plates if you do have to cover up a larger doorbell opening etc.

3. Cornell

Cornell TUG Member

The Pro can only be hardwired into an existing doorbell. It draws power from there. Other versions of Ring bells can either be hardwired or use battery power. Just mentioning in case this makes a difference to you.

I am not handy and was able to do this myself.

4. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Desert Springs Villas II 2BR
    Playa Andaluza Silver Seafront 2BR
    Destinations Points
    It's not that difficult, just put one in (Pro). I had brick outside and it wasn't level so to speak so had to add some mortar to make it seal properly, but, that was the hardest part. You put the little adapter into the doorbell chime (with power off), you attach the 2 wires to the Ring Pro, and, you're done. I had cat5 wiring to the outside, so, just twisted pairs together to make thicker wire. Just completed it yesterday.

5. Cornell

Cornell TUG Member

Also - you can get great deals on these from Costco if you are a member there.

6. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wynd VIP Plat, HGVC Elite, HICV, + few others
    I just added a Wyze camera instead, it points from the breezeway to where the gate and doorbell is. It was only $25. I just added one today in the garage, so I can monitor the garage door entries and ensure visually that the garage door is shut.

WinniWoman likes this.
  7. PigsDad

PigsDad TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
  8. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
    ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
    Hi Kurt,

With this system, would I need to purchase 2 Echo Show 5's - one for the upstairs bedroom; and the second for the downstairs kitchen?

We have an outside gate - would a battery-powered Ring work or would you recomend an electrician to set up a hard-wired system?

Thanks.

Richard

9. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Desert Springs Villas II 2BR
    Playa Andaluza Silver Seafront 2BR
    Destinations Points
    You don't need any Echo shows, there is a Ring app on IOS and Android. But you can use a Show and give them voice commands. Depending on how far the outside gate is, a battery powered one might work as long as you got a WiFi signal there, or, mounted on the house facing the gate if it's not too far. I have a Doorbell Pro and 2 Ring hardwired outside Floodlight cameras. Security system on the way, going to pay less monthly than existing system.

10. rboesl

rboesl TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
    Vidanta Grand Mayan
    Villa del Arco Cobo
    Grandview Las Vegas
    Vacation Village at Bonaventure
    It's definitely worth the price. We installed one last year. Love the fact that I can view what's going on from anywhere. Even when we were in Mexico on vacation we were able to see a delivery made to the house.

WinniWoman likes this.
  11. artringwald

artringwald TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
    I got the regular Ring doorbell and upgraded to the Pro version because the resolution was so bad on the lower priced on. The Pro required removing 2 wires for the original doorbell and attaching them to the Ring doorbell. If you don't know what you're doing, you will also have to turn off the circuit breaker that goes to the doorbell transformer. It's low voltage, so I carefully did it hot.

12. BJRSanDiego

BJRSanDiego TUG Member

I found the installation to be fairly easy but came across two small bumps in the road:
    1. My doorbell transformer was 16 volts and the ac voltage was marginal. I had to replace the transformer. Luckily I remembered where the transformer was placed 22 years ago when our house was built (inside a closet but positioned up high on the front wall so that it could not be seen when opening the closet doors.
    2. Our wifi signal to the doorbell is weak. The signal was going though 4 walls including stucco (with wire-mesh - - basically a Faraday cage). So I had to buy a $40 or $50 Ring amplifier/repeater with chimes. Now it seem to work flawlessly.
    These road bumps were easily overcome.

I kind of recall that through Ring you can get someone to install the Ring doorbell for a small fee.

artringwald likes this.