TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Retirees Are Flocking to These 3 States - and Fleeing These 3 States in Droves

Discussion in 'Vacation Travel Information' started by MULTIZ321, Apr 17, 2019.

1. OldGuy

OldGuy Guest

Resorts Owned:
    some
    Based on the Medical Services map in Conan's post last Friday, International Falls, would be a good place.

:cool:

2. Lydlady

Lydlady TUG Member

I can so relate to this. My mother lives with us also. She will be 90 this year. I still work full-time but someday when I no longer work full-time, and if she is still with us, I will have to spend some scheduled time away from the house.

Glynda and mpumilia like this.
  3. rapmarks

rapmarks TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Disagree, I have severe arthritis and do fine in Florida and had same problems in Arizona with arthritis.

mpumilia likes this.
  4. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
    Frostbite falls?

5. OldGuy

OldGuy Guest

Resorts Owned:
    some
    Yeah, with Boris and Natasha.

amycurl likes this.
  6. chalee94

chalee94 TUG Member

A friend who works as a doctor at a retirement community in NC says that it's not uncommon for northerners who retire to FL to have issues with the move, but many wind up settling in NC. They call them "half-backs." :)

amycurl, Glynda, mpumilia and 2 others like this.
  7. Quiet Pine

Quiet Pine TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    AZ and waterfront aren't mutually exclusive. I live in Scottsdale Ranch that includes Lake Serena with about 5 miles of coastline. Homes on the lake all have docks. At Christmas, there's a boat parade and residents vote for the best decorations. However, boats are limited to 21' and may be powered only by a conventional battery-operated motor.

Scottsdale Ranch Waterfront Homes
    [​IMG]
    Scottsdale Ranch is home to over 250 waterfront homes that surround Lake Serena. Scottsdale Ranch, a 1,100 acre residential development, has townhouses, condominiums, single family and patio homes.

Sugarcubesea, Sunshine10 and mpumilia like this.
  8. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
    WhassaMatterU!

klpca likes this.
  9. Glynda

Glynda TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
    Brewster Green (two weeks).
    Yes, it's important that you do. I feel guilty as she would like to go somewhere every day if I'd take her. I try to alternate, or combine, things I need/want to do with things she needs/wants to do. But there are times I just need out of the house alone or I feel I will go crazy! Having classes at the Senior Center gives me that scheduled out.

Sugarcubesea, mpumilia and Lydlady like this.
  10. OldGuy

OldGuy Guest

Resorts Owned:
    some
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  11. mpumilia

mpumilia TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    So just back on the real estate guy that came to our home on Saturday, he never sent us the appraisal as I suspected he wouldn't. So he is out! Just as I said- I do not like real estate people. Even the one in NH referred by the same company never called me back. Goodbye.

Previous to him coming to our home, he had sent me a link to his website with a supposed "account" set up. There is a tool on there where you can put in your address and it will give you an estimate of market value, so I decided to use it.

Our home came up at $276,000-$286,000. (again, a lot of info. about our home is not recorded).

Then, per my brother's advice I went on Zillow and then deducted 10%. Zillow had it at $322,000. Taking 10% off would be $290,000.

The town assessor has it at $266,000.

Another tool I used from another real estate guy that sends me emails said $229,000 - $358,000. LOL!

Again, not all improvements over the 31 years are recorded.

So, we are thinking if everything is the same next year we would possibly list it ourselves for $279,000. Or maybe we will hire a professional appraiser. Really, with the internet today and a real estate person not even having to do an estimate for a sale price, why do we need one? We have to pay then 5 or 6% for what? I will keep reading my "How to Sell Your Home Yourself" book. I will put the house on Craigslist, Trulia, Zillow, Redfin. Have a nice big professional sign made up. And get an atty. Maybe pay for an inspection, or just wait and have the buyers pay for one and see what happens.

Heck- at such a low price for our home, as it is we will be looking for a tent to live in. Having to pay closing costs and then a commission and the attorney fees and any "fixes" an inspection might demand on top of that? What will be left? Then moving costs? SMH.....

What a shame. The house is so much nicer than it's market value and I am not just saying that because it is my house. Heck- the land alone should be worth $100,000. But- that is reality. That is the way it is here.

We might have to move to a state like Alabama! Holy cow!

12. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    Seaside Oregon Residence Club
    Diamond Resorts Intermnational Hawaiian Collection 50,000
    Royal Solaris San Jose del Cavo
    My experience with Zillow is that they drastically under value homes. When we sold our last House we sold it for way more than Zillow said it was worth. Our real estate agent recommended filing an action against Zillow. My computer son has met with both firms. He feels REDFIN is more accurate.

klpca, Sugarcubesea and mpumilia like this.
  13. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook

I just tried Redfin and it said an estimate is not available for my home.

14. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

You could find a nice place in Idaho for that kind of money- not in a city or resort area, but, say within an hour or so, surrounded with mountains, water nearby. Not that there is anything wrong with Alabama, but. . . .

Sugarcubesea and mpumilia like this.
  15. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook

Really? Well then- that is good news!

I get a bit depressed when I think about this whole scenario. As I have mentioned in the past, Idaho is a state we would definitely consider moving to. Phew! There is hope!

Alabama I am sure is nice, but then- humidity and tornadoes......no.

Sugarcubesea likes this.
  16. OldGuy

OldGuy Guest

Resorts Owned:
    some
    Funny, my feeling is that Zillow drastically overvalues homes.

The truth is that they are only as accurate as the laws/policies in your state/area. For instance, Florida is a public information state, and every real property sale is public information, so Zillow uses the actual sale prices. In states that are not public information states, Zillow looks at listing prices, not sale prices.

When I apply it to our houses, I figure they are worth what the house next door sells for, if it's like our house.

I look at Zillow almost every day, and in Florida it's right on the button, except if a property has been purchased as a foreclosure or tax deed, or something outside mainstream real estate. Also in Florida, you can go to the County Assessor's sites, click on a map, click on a parcel, and get all the actual true figures.

Having said all that, I just looked at Zillow, which I have in my Favorites Bar, and our two houses are valued just the opposite of what I said.

mpumilia likes this.
  17. bogey21

bogey21 TUG Member

I can go both ways on this. When I sold our house after I retired I did it myself. When I sold my Son's house I used a RE Agent. The difference was demand. Our house was newer and in a growing area where prices were going up. My Son's house was 40 years old, in a declining neighborhood, not occupied and with little curb appeal. In the latter case I went with the RE Agent. I compared 4 or 5 months of expenses (mortgage payment, utilities, etc.) to the RE Agent's commission. With our house I figured there would be people bidding against each other for it. In the case of my Son's house I was worried no one would even want to look at it. The RE Agent convinced me to list it for about $10,000 more than I thought it was worth. He ginned up 25 lookers and one bought paying the asking price. I don't think I could have done this myself and consider his commission money well spent...

George

18. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

@mpumilia If you don't use an agent to list, are you willing to pay for buyers' agent to widen the market? I agree in this age of internet, almost all buyers look for listing information on their own. However, if there is no commission for buyers' agent, then agents will not promote your home and also steer buyers away from your home.

Personally I am ambivalent as to whether one should use an agent. I have always used an agent because it is the easier route but I absolutely believe one can sell their own home and save a pretty buck.

mpumilia likes this.
  19. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook

I suppose so. Good point you make. At this point we might try anything. We lose before we even start no matter what.

Meanwhile, I had shut my cell phone off at 4:30 pm yesterday. Wouldn't you know the real estate agent called and left a message if he could call me at 10 am today.

So I called back at 9am (waited 'till then since I figured it was business hours.) I got his voice mail and left a message that 10am would be fine. Have not heard from him.

20. rapmarks

rapmarks TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

A neighbor who recently sold said that only two showed up to look at his house through multiple listing through other agents. Apparently agents in this area don’t want to share the commission with another agency.

21. bogey21

bogey21 TUG Member

In the sale of my Son's house it was the Buyer's Agent who kept the deal alive and finally to fruition. Clearly the 3% commission was important to him...

George

Sugarcubesea likes this.
  22. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

Wow, Thank you, I had no idea that this place existed.

23. Quiet Pine

Quiet Pine TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    I doubt there's anything here under $1 mil with a dock, but other homes are far less (like mine! 3-minute drive to lake). Any resident can borrow kayaks & paddleboats,
    Here's a link showing waterfront homes in Maricopa and Pinal counties. http://phoenixwaterfronttalk.com/waterfront-homes-by-city

Sugarcubesea likes this.
  24. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
    That realtor does not want to sell your house and I would agree, I would just sell it yourself

mpumilia likes this.
  25. clifffaith

clifffaith TUG Member

It must depend on the area, or the market in general. We watched Zillow as friends had their home listed and kept quoting Zillow at us. Way too high. Ultimately decided to stay put because they couldn't get an offer for the inflated Zillow number, which was good because their friend who had moved down to that area three years previously turned around and came back to this area, and that was the main reason they were moving. What they didn't do, no matter how many times we told them they needed to, is go into any Open House they could find in our area to find out how they stacked up. Familiarizing yourself with what is selling and for how much is invaluable. On the down side, the last 4 houses we bought, all within a 10-12 minute drive from each other, were because we were regularly going to Open Houses and/or reading the weekend real estate section to see what was available.

On the other hand, the house next to us sold about 18 months ago, and Zillow was pretty much right on with the estimate. The friends in the above scenario were trying to sell 6-7 years ago. I think the difference in Zillow accuracy had to do with a stable market vs one recovering from the recession.

VacationForever likes this.