• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Restructuring my HGVC holdings

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Sorry for spamming my own thread last evening, but the auction was ending and I was looking for advice. I still have a shot at this from the seller. Trying to see why this might be a bad deal:

Pros:

Very low buy-in price on a high-point, low MF package (@Bao Nguyen's unicorn find notwithstanding :)) - of course, eventual selling price likely lowe as well.

Got the estoppel, and all current and paid up, with full 2020 points.

Cons:

Two activation fees - but more than offset by buy-in savings
Lowe resale - as mentioned, but offset by lower buy-in
In the worst case (think Apollo catastrophe) we're stuck with two studio weeks in Vegas - willing to gamble on this.

Is there something I'm missing that makes this a bad thing to consider?

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
As I understand it (Warning I may be a bit behind):

• You have two 2 bdrm Flamingos Gold that you are going to sell. 10,000 points total (5000 each)
  • You wish to buy two 1 bedroom Platinum units at BLVD. 10,300 points total (5150 each)

1) How much are you saving compared to the MF of your two Flamingos?
2) What is the net difference in cost of buying these new units with to net cost of selling Flamingo after broker and if you pay selling costs (worst case)
3) What is your MF/point in each deal?
4) What is your breakeven year to recoup the cost of this transaction?
5) If you waited for another deal to consolidate into one unit similar to the unit you originally wanted how would that compare to this deal?

P.S. LOL. Love the play on words, "two studio weeks in Vegas - willing to gamble on this."

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flamingo: Yes
Boulevard: Two 1BR Plat @ 4800 each (9600 total)

1. Flamingo is about $2100, Buoulevard is about $1261, so savings = $839/year
2. Buy = roughly $6500 + 2x$609+$409 = $8127, Sell might net about $3500 total for both
3. Flamingo = $0.21/point, Boulevard = $0.13/point
4. Breakeven = 5.5 years

This seems reasonable to me.

If we got a straight 9600 for, saqy $9500, the MFs are lower by about $100, so savings = $939/year. But buy-in is up by about $2000 (transfer is covered in this one), so BE = 7 years. So maybe this one makes as much sense, in the end.

Thanks for the reality-check questions :)

(Happy to have found a place to throw in gambling :))

Cheers.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
$839/year is significant and 5 years is good. The biggest difference is that the 1 bdrms will sell for less or than the Blvd. How long do you intend to keep?

Reactions: brp

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We'll keep 20-25 years, I'd say :)

I did try on the straight 9600. Last bid for me was $9412. Was winning until 2 seconds, then outbid at $9512 :)

Yes, they will sell for less, but we'll get them for less.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
BTW...now I understand why you wanted to restructure because we have one Paradise unit at 7k pts at about $1050/year and $.15 MF/point which is much lower than your $2100 MF. Quite a premium for only 3000 more points.

Lower buy-in was one of the reasons we opted for Paradise vs. Blvd. We also wouldn't mind being stuck in Vegas if the system rules changed. We could rent out the unit for Raider games or conventions if we didn't plan to use because it is near both venues.

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, seems done. The two-package deal on eBay ended with no bids at an opening of $6500. I got it for $6250 (probably could have fought harder for $6000, but it seemed not worth the effort). So $0.65/point, plus fees, of course.

Just need thit to pass the monkeys...

Now to sell those Albatross...I mean Flamingos...

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Congrats! How did you get it for below the reserve? Did you contact the seller after the auction closed?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup. I'd actually contacted him before it closed to ask about getting estoppel prior to any payment. He got back to me quickly that it would be no problem. Then I decided to wait until the auction ended and contact him again because I figured that I could get it below the eBay asking price that way. And, since it ended with no bids and was now closed in eBay, no violations there.

Basically, I saved the Credit Card fee that they add (something I'm very much OK with to use a CC with these lower-priced transactions).

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Smart move! Will take note of other auctions that go unsold.

As a bonus of holding 1 bdrms platinums, if you had to rent you could probably rent them out for MF or a bit of a premium. Harder to do with a 2 bdrm.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Smart move! Will take note of other auctions that go unsold.

As a bonus of holding 1 bdrms platinums, if you had to rent you could probably rent them out for MF or a bit of a premium. Harder to do with a 2 bdrm.

Could probably get a premium for Raiders' games if I rented a long weekend to "friends," even though it is a bit far from the venue. Closer than Oaktown.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
You could also split the home week i.e. rent the first half for Raider Game and then use the other half.

Might have to tip the housekeepers well during mid-week to clean up after your renters. ;)

Bao Nguyen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Del Palmar
Congrats:) whatever that make you happy....

Bao Nguyen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Del Palmar
OK, seems done. The two-package deal on eBay ended with no bids at an opening of $6500. I got it for $6250 (probably could have fought harder for $6000, but it seemed not worth the effort). So $0.65/point, plus fees, of course.

Just need thit to pass the monkeys...

Cheers.
so how many points did you get? 9,600?

Bao Nguyen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Del Palmar
Yup, 9,600. Structured as 2 x 4800 1BR.

Cheers.
nice!...I'm thinking rent out for Raider game too... but not sure how advance we know their game schedule. I'm sure entire town will sold out .

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was in a similar boat, but ultimately the restructuring would never work out financially, I don't think.

I have a 3400 point (1 BR Gold) at BLVD - $610 MF
I have a 5000 point (2 BR Gold) at BLVD - $845 MF

So combined MF is like $1455 for 8400 points
The "cheapest" 8400 points (for MF) was BLVD at $1070, but $18,000 cost to buy. I think BE was like 33 years (not counting closing costs and activation fees, and assuming I could sell my two for $2500 total).

The "next" best was like MF at $1,118 at a buy in of $14k (not counting closing/activation).
I think even the 9600 point one (not quite apples/apples) on eBay would still take me close to 21 years to BE.

So I'll just keep 'em

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Having the Raiders in town will change the rental dynamic.

@hurnik Although you prob don't enjoy having two units that are lower value, the silver lining is the lack of a good BE option means that what you have is pretty good!

Could you flip the 3400 pt unit only for a 5k pt or more and get a better BE return?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was in a similar boat, but ultimately the restructuring would never work out financially, I don't think.

I have a 3400 point (1 BR Gold) at BLVD - $610 MF
I have a 5000 point (2 BR Gold) at BLVD - $845 MF

So combined MF is like $1455 for 8400 points
The "cheapest" 8400 points (for MF) was BLVD at $1070, but $18,000 cost to buy. I think BE was like 33 years (not counting closing costs and activation fees, and assuming I could sell my two for $2500 total).

The "next" best was like MF at $1,118 at a buy in of $14k (not counting closing/activation).
I think even the 9600 point one (not quite apples/apples) on eBay would still take me close to 21 years to BE.

So I'll just keep 'em

Wow, much lower MFs at BLVD for the 5000 pt. Gold. Knew it was lower, but didn't know it was this much lower.

As to the second part, you can get these points for a muhc lower buy-in. As an example, I know that judikoz has Carigendarroch (likely spelled that wrong, but don't feel like looking it up): 8400 points for $10K, and likely can get it for less. And this has even lower MFs. But it would still definitely be longer than our Flamingo BE as your MF ratio is better than ours.

Cheers.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having the Raiders in town will change the rental dynamic.

@hurnik Although you prob don't enjoy having two units that are lower value, the silver lining is the lack of a good BE option means that what you have is pretty good!

Could you flip the 3400 pt unit only for a 5k pt or more and get a better BE return?

Hmm, I've not checked/considered that. I'll have to run the numbers and see.
Odds are the 3400 point would have to go for $500 or $1000 at most (but by the time I paid for closing costs, probably close to zero net gain).

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@hurnik Perhaps keep your eye open this fall for a 5000 pt unicorn that someone is selling for next to nothing or giving away. You could calculate the highest price you could go and get a decent BE after disposing of the 3400 pt unit. I never thought @brp difference was that high but with 2 units it is significant.

emoneybug

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - Saratoga Springs 365pts (resale)
I would like a few of the 5000pt unicorns :) ...I'm wondering if a seller would take $500 plus split closing/transfer costs for a low MF Las Vegas 5000pt HGVC.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score

Just need this to pass the monkeys...

Cheers.

The monkeys have passed on this one (was sent to ROFR on 9/13, got the notification early).

Now I just have to decide if I really want to pay the remaining $6422 via Cashier's Check (and save the $225 in CC fees), or go for the points and added protection :)

If I don't sell the Flamingo units, there's always the Raiders in 2020 :)

Cheers.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
The monkeys have passed on this one (was sent to ROFR on 9/13, got the notification early).

Now I just have to decide if I really want to pay the remaining $6422 via Cashier's Check (and save the $225 in CC fees), or go for the points and added protection :)

If I don't sell the Flamingo units, there's always the Raiders in 2020 :)

Cheers.

typically, figure out how many points you'd get (I don't know which credit card you're using) and then use the $225 to calculate the "price per point".

IMO, it *almost* never makes sense to go that route.
UNLESS you're needing it for the SUB (sign up bonus), in which case, it may work out. (ie: 80,000 UR points from the CIP for $225? Sure, I'll bite) 50k AA miles for $225? eh, not so much.

Although the $225 seems rather high. That's like 3.3% or thereabouts?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
typically, figure out how many points you'd get (I don't know which credit card you're using) and then use the $225 to calculate the "price per point".

IMO, it *almost* never makes sense to go that route.
UNLESS you're needing it for the SUB (sign up bonus), in which case, it may work out. (ie: 80,000 UR points from the CIP for $225? Sure, I'll bite) 50k AA miles for $225? eh, not so much.

Although the $225 seems rather high. That's like 3.3% or thereabouts?

Yeah, they're at 3.5%. Definitely high, but they are very up-front about it. We pay most fee-requiring things (estimated taxes, any taxes owed, property tax) with a CC, but that's at 1.9%, and we can make that work. We use Hyatt card and this counts for stays and status.

I did pay the $500 deposit on a CC as I didn't really know these folks. Further research (and some very recent comments on the ROFR thread from a Tugger who has worked with them twice) has decided me on the Cashier's Check route.

Cheers.