• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Restrictions on resale purchase?

rtp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none
I am considering entry to the HGVC. I have not had a sale pitch at any onsite location. I have only spoke with a corporate sales agent from their main HQ in Orlando. She told me that if I bought a resale, I not have the same trading ability with my points through their system and would only be able to use my home resort on the week purchased.

Could this be true? Am I misunderstanding the agent? Can this restriction be found in writing somewhere?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Not true and surprised that lie came from a representative in their main office. Oh who I am kidding, you spoke to a timeshare salesperson. Most timeshare salespeople have a common trait and that is to lie like a dog to make a sale.

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I am considering entry to the HGVC. I have not had a sale pitch at any onsite location. I have only spoke with a corporate sales agent from their main HQ in Orlando. She told me that if I bought a resale, I not have the same trading ability with my points through their system and would only be able to use my home resort on the week purchased.

Could this be true? Am I misunderstanding the agent? Can this restriction be found in writing somewhere?

I just closed on my Vegas Flamingo resale in September. I booked Ocean 22 in Myrtle Beach the following month. I don’t even have a date listed on my deed so I don’t know how they could force me to use the week purchased when I didn’t purchase a week.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
If you read lots of posts you will see where people mention "I bought resale for the low MF / points ratio at such and such, but I've never once stayed there" because the fact is resale is not going have any diminished booking value over developer.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
The salesman told a bald-faced lie, period. HGVC is one of the best systems for resales, as the ONLY difference is that resale purchases do not count toward Elite status. Every other perk is available to resale owners. If anyone tells you anything to the contrary, they are lying.

Kurt

rtp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none
Thank you all for the replies. ....

Is Elite status in reference to the Hilton Hotel status or is there a separate HGVC tier status?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. ....

Is Elite status in reference to the Hilton Hotel status or is there a separate HGVC tier status?

Separate and, by all accounts, not worth it. Do a little searching and poking about here and you can find lots of good information on all of these topics.

Cheers.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Restrictions on resale purchase?

The only significant restriction worth noting is the one the sales staff did not share with you. For resale units the sales price may be restricted to being as little as 10% of what the developer charges.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/club-membership/elite/benefits

You can achieve some of the same benefits from buying some into "by hilton club" properties resale as well. But even points conversions or gold status at hilton hotels is not worth going out of your way for.

There's a sad (IMO) posting on the FB group where some couple spent $95,000 to buy (direct) to the Elite Plus level. I'm not sure if that's the "cheapest" direct price, if it's "average" (My guess is that it really depends on where you buy to get the 24k points from Hilton). I have 22k points, granted it's on 4 contracts, so I have 4 MF of $3,650 (give or take) but only spent about $15k (some of the resales were years ago when prices were even higher).

I'd have to run the numbers, but am pretty sure it would take a long time to recoup the $80k price different with the "free" benefits of Elite Plus (although possibly a single 24k contract would have lower MF).

But kudos to the OP who is smart (unlike me as I originally purchased direct) and doing their homework first. Way to go!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
But kudos to the OP who is smart (unlike me as I originally purchased direct) and doing their homework first. Way to go!

Which Facebook group are you referring to? I see several when I search and am not sure which is the best.

I believe a majority of Tuggers and certainly most TS owners bought direct on their first purchase. Wow, I am glad we spent no where near $95,000. And we have a desirable unit that still retains some resale value so we are lucky that we will be able to get rid of it someday.

The loss of the retail value was a wake-up call to maximize what we own and research (probably over-research) resale to not make the same mistake again. The value of the resales more than make up for the first loss.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Which Facebook group are you referring to? I see several when I search and am not sure which is the best.
I have found the "Hilton Grand Vacation Club Members" group to be the most active, but I am also a member of the "Hilton Grand Vacation Owners Page" group as well, but there is often overlap / duplicate posts to those two groups. It is interesting and eye-opening at times seeing the posts in those groups. The resale mantra is not very prevalent, and I would say most members of those groups believe purchasing direct is the better way to go. My participation is mostly for information about the resorts; while I will provide resale information, I have learned not to push it there.

Kurt

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have found the "Hilton Grand Vacation Club Members" group to be the most active, but I am also a member of the "Hilton Grand Vacation Owners Page" group as well, but there is often overlap / duplicate posts to those two groups. It is interesting and eye-opening at times seeing the posts in those groups. The resale mantra is not very prevalent, and I would say most members of those groups believe purchasing direct is the better way to go. My participation is mostly for information about the resorts; while I will provide resale information, I have learned not to push it there.

Kurt

Yeah, those two groups. As Kurt mentioned there's overlap.
Some folks are very uh, adamant that resale is "dangerous" and they *love* buying direct and will even request that nobody reply to their post about resale.

A few are just new folks (like myself way back when) who didn't know better, and appreciate the rescind/resale (but obviously you risk getting pounced on by others if you suggest resale). Unfortunately I didn't find TUG until like my 1st developer "upgrade" (too late to rescind).

I will say I'm amazed by how many folks would object to paying full MSRP for a car, but have no qualms about paying full direct prices for a timeshare and get all annoyed if you advise them to rescind and save them thousands (or tens of thousands) of dollars. Oh well, their money.

Although I'm sure there's folks who would gasp that I even own a timeshare (LOL) and how "bad" it is. Don't know where those folks vacation at, but I'd be pressed to get a 2 BR "hotel" with full kitchen, living room, washer/dryer for under $150/night anywhere. Heck, where we're at by the time you get taxed to death, a "studio" (timeshare speak) typical hotel at Hilton/Marriott will run you easily $150/night. Although perhaps AirBnB and VRBO may offer "better" deals, I like to have pools and such (obviously I do *NOT* vacation in Jan/Feb in the Northeast--LOL).

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe a majority of Tuggers and certainly most TS owners bought direct on their first purchase. Wow, I am glad we spent no where near $95,000. And we have a desirable unit that still retains some resale value so we are lucky that we will be able to get rid of it someday.
We bought direct, but then thought better of it and rescinded :)

We did buy HCNY direct, but then Hilton wanted to buy it back as they were changing the deed type. We could have gotten more had we held out longer.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
To play on an old saying.

"That (retail purchase) which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger (to buy resale)." :)

Jacqueet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kingsland, HGVC Bay Club, & HGVC Ocean Tower

There is also a Facebook page for HGV Resales: Hilton Grand Vacation Club resale bulletin board.