• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resorts take owner to court after 9 years of non payment

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
I will be as brief as possible. My sister has a unit at Ocean Villas Beach & Racquet Club in Myrtle Beach. I gave her the unit over 20 years ago. She decided she didn't want to travel there anymore because of the condition of the condo, so she stopped paying the fees in 2009. She is now being sued for non payment of the fees. She also has the same problem with Shawnee in the Poconos, which she got on Ebay for $1 about 20 years ago as well. Is there a statue of limitation when it comes to non payment of the fees? She thought everything was ok all these years, but now this is not the case. Both of these places have gone down tremendously over the years. My sister thinks that she can submit a Quit Claim Deed now and be free of both resorts. Is this information correct?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I am not a lawyer but I do believe there is a statute of limitations as long as she has not paid them anything nor communicated to them that she will pay. Perhaps lawyers like @Grammarhero and @Fredflintstone could comment further on this.

Whatever she does she should not talk to them, nor tell them that she owes them any money as this may reactivate the statute.

Is this an official court document? or just a threatening letter from a lawyer or collections company?

South Carolina is a "non-judicial, anti-deficiency" state. Search TUG for this to learn more. She can walk and all they will do is bark, send threatening letters, ding her credit if they have her social (but may not given this was a gift) and all they get back is the timeshare. Ignore them. Perhaps this is their action of proceeding through non-judicial, anti-deficiency to take back the unit.

If this is a court order, perhaps she should contact a real estate lawyer in South Carolina via a service such as Rocket Lawyer and spend an hour (approx $100) on her approach to ensure she doesn't accidentally reactivate the statute and to decipher what they are doing to react appropriately.

Last edited:

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Thanks so much for your quick reply. My sister is almost 70 years of age and lost her husband a few months ago. She's now at her wits end trying to figure out what to do. All this time she thought she was done with both timeshares since she hadn't paid in 10 years. I will advise her as you have suggested. I'll also check to see what the Tuggers have to say on the issue. Btw, that Ocean Villas is a dump. I'm sorry if I've offended any current owners. Shawnee to my knowledge isn't as good either.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
At near 70, how much does she need credit? Unless this is some kind of court order, I'd blow it off and tell them to foreclose. My hunch is that she's judgement proof- in that her retirement funds are safe. I'll check some sources to see if this is accurate, but baced on the surface details, I can't see she has much to worry about. Yes, there can be a credit hit but other than threats, I don't think that matters much. Stay tuned.

Jim

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I will be as brief as possible. My sister has a unit at Ocean Villas Beach & Racquet Club in Myrtle Beach. I gave her the unit over 20 years ago. She decided she didn't want to travel there anymore because of the condition of the condo, so she stopped paying the fees in 2009. She is now being sued for non payment of the fees. She also has the same problem with Shawnee in the Poconos, which she got on Ebay for $1 about 20 years ago as well. Is there a statue of limitation when it comes to non payment of the fees? She thought everything was ok all these years, but now this is not the case. Both of these places have gone down tremendously over the years. My sister thinks that she can submit a Quit Claim Deed now and be free of both resorts. Is this information correct?

No, there is no Statue of Limitations on the mf yet because the debt is owed and hasn't been processed yet. Currently this debt is delinquent. Once collection efforts begin then the clock starts on the SOL. The SOL is usually five years. Because the property is still under an ownership the mf debt is active.

That being said collectors can't garnish Social Security Checks, lol. They can't garnish retirement accounts either. They can place liens on real estate with a court order. If there are no assets to protect then totally ignoring the debt might be fine. If there are assets to protect then speaking to an attorney or settling the debt might be a good option.

Bill

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
No, there is no Statue of Limitations on the mf yet because the debt is owed and hasn't been processed yet. Currently this debt is delinquent. Once collection efforts begin then the clock starts on the SOL. The SOL is usually five years. Because the property is still under an ownership the mf debt is active.

That being said collectors can't garnish Social Security Checks, lol. They can't garnish retirement accounts either. They can place liens on real estate with a court order. If there are no assets to protect then totally ignoring the debt might be fine. If there are assets to protect then speaking to an attorney or settling the debt might be a good option.

Bill

"Anti-deficiency" means that they cannot garnish anything except the timeshare. This may apply in South Carolina as it applies in California for TS. Not sure about Pennsylvania. The OP should check this out with a foreclosure lawyer.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Wife (an attorney in family law but not licensed in SC) says it all depends on what the note says. See an attorney in SC for truly accurate info. It's impossible to accurately give advice given the scant info in the OP.

Best Wishes to the OP's sister.

Jim

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

Attachments

• 44A309FC-8696-47C6-A38B-DEE10E1E25E7.png
    44A309FC-8696-47C6-A38B-DEE10E1E25E7.png
    196.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Note SC Code Law Sec 27-32-320

B) In order to foreclose an assessment lien pursuant to this article, the following conditions must have been met:

(1) The timeshare instrument recorded in the public records of the county in which the timeshare estate being foreclosed is located must contain the following statement in conspicuous type:

"Each obligor understands that, if the obligations owed for assessments of the association and for ad valorem taxes and special assessments are not satisfied and the obligor does not timely cure the default, the assessment lien may be foreclosed through a nonjudicial procedure in accordance with Article 3 of Chapter 32 of Title 27 of the Code of Laws of South Carolina. The obligor understands that he or she will not be subject to a deficiency judgment or personal liability for the assessment lien resulting from a nonjudicial foreclosure procedure, even if the sale of his or her timeshare estate resulting from the foreclosure for the assessment lien is insufficient to offset the amount of the assessment lien. The obligor acknowledges the trustee will send the notice required by this procedure to the obligor's notice address, and the obligor agrees to inform the managing entity of any change in the obligor's address. The obligor consents to notification by certified or registered mail and agrees that any person at the obligor's notice address may acknowledge receipt of any correspondence received in connection with this procedure. The obligor understands that the trustee may notify the obligor of the commencement of the procedure by publication if delivery of the notice is not accepted at the notice address. If the obligor sends the trustee a written objection to the nonjudicial procedure stating the reasons for the objection, the matter will be transferred to a judicial foreclosure procedure, but the obligor understands and agrees that in the judicial foreclosure procedure, the obligor may be subject to a deficiency judgment or personal liability for the assessment lien if the sale of his or her timeshare estate resulting from the foreclosure of the assessment lien is insufficient to offset the amount of the assessment lien. The obligor further understands and agrees that in the judicial foreclosure procedure for the assessment lien, if the court finds that there is a complete absence of a justifiable issue of either law or fact raised by the obligor's objection or defense, the obligor may be personally liable for the costs and attorney's fees incurred by the assessment lienholder in the judicial foreclosure."

(2) The public offering statement text must contain the following statement in conspicuous type:

"There is a lien or lien right against each timeshare estate to secure the payment of assessments or other amounts due from obligors to the association in accordance with the operating budget and special assessments and to secure payment of assessments for ad valorem real estate taxes. A purchaser's failure to make the required payments may result in foreclosure of an assessment lien. Assessment liens may be foreclosed in accordance with judicial procedures established by law or with a nonjudicial procedure established by Article 3 of Chapter 32 of Title 27 of the Code of Laws of South Carolina. By purchasing a timeshare estate in the timeshare plan described in this public offering statement, a purchaser acknowledges and agrees that any assessment lien against the timeshare estate owned by a purchaser may be foreclosed by a nonjudicial procedure and agrees that the notice of a foreclosure by a nonjudicial procedure may be made by the use of certified or registered mail. The purchaser is required to provide an address for the delivery of all notices required by law and to inform the managing entity of any changes in the purchaser's notice address."

(3) As to any timeshare instrument recorded prior to the effective date of this article, an amendment to the timeshare instrument must include the notice required by item (1) of this subsection and upon approval of the amendment to the timeshare instrument, a copy of the amendment must be sent by the managing entity to each timeshare estate obligor. The amendment must be approved by the association on the affirmative vote of fifteen percent of the obligors of the association. If an amendment is adopted, the notice required under item (2) of this subsection is not required to be given to persons who are obligors on the date the amendment to the timeshare instrument is adopted.

(C)(1) This subsection applies only to mortgage lienholders of record who possess nonperforming mortgages in timeshare estates originating on or before December 31, 1990, and who have no successors in interest of record or whose successor in interest in the then existing mortgages was the Resolution Trust Corporation.

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Note SC Code Law Sec 27-32-305
(5) establish those streamlined procedures by giving statutory recognition to the right of persons to privately contract for a power of sale as their remedy in lieu of a judicial foreclosure of liens on timeshare estates while specifically limiting the application of such nonjudicial foreclosure procedures to timeshare estates only.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
FWIW I found this in the legal info @Grammarhero linked. Look at (C) The lienholder has no right to any deficiency judgment against the obligor after a sale of of the obligors timeshare estate under this article as to the lien foreclosed. (I believe this is saying that once the property is foreclosed, the lienholder has no right to a deficiency judgment to garnish anything beyond the timeshare. Basically the developer can pound sand. However I am not a lawyer. YMMV)

upload_2019-12-8_20-7-19.png

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FWIW I found this in the legal info @Grammarhero linked. Look at (C) The lienholder has no right to any deficiency judgement against the obligor after a sale of of the obligors timeshare estate under this article as to the lien foreclosed. (I believe this is saying that once the property is foreclosed, the lienholder has no right to a deficiency judgment. However I am not a lawyer. YMMV)

View attachment 15387
Unfortunately, that section 27-32-350 applies to 27-32-345 public auction sales only.

We really need the OP to upload or PM me the docs. We don’t know the OP’s sis’s situation. What concerns me is that OP says her sis is being sued and that “she is at her wit’s end,” which possibly means she sent some objection she shouldn’t have.

We are dealing with one of two situations:

Situation One:
Notices OP’s sis received are for non-judicial foreclosures. OP’s sis simply asserts her rights to non-judicial, anti-deficiency foreclosure.

Situation Two:
OP’s sis unwisely objected to non-judicial, anti-deficiency foreclosures. Maybe she objected that it has been 9 years and she isn’t legally responsible, or with the losing argument that SOL passed. In such as case, she unwisely waived her right to a non-judicial, anti-deficiency foreclosure by objecting. This is why when someone gets a threatening letter about TS foreclosures, at least consult an attorney, even if it costs $400/hr. She might have screwed herself over.

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@TUGBrian @DeniseM

Think I found my next TS project. TUG’s links to the state AGs TUG provided are great. I think I will compile links to TS state laws. Just give me a week or two.

My previous projects were: 1) identifying how much TS owners saved by reading TUG and rescinding, 2) collecting statistics on credit drops for defaulted TS owner.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Unfortunately, that section 27-32-350 applies to 27-32-345 public auction sales only.

We really need the OP to upload or PM me the docs. We don’t know the OP’s sis’s situation. What concerns me is that OP says her sis is being sued and that “she is at her wit’s end,” which possibly means she sent some objection she shouldn’t have.

We are dealing with one of two situations:

Situation One:
Notice OP’s sis received are for non-judicial foreclosures. OP’s sis simply asserts her rights to non-judicial, anti-deficiency foreclosure.

Situation Two:
OP’s sis stupidly objected to non-judicial, anti-deficiency foreclosures. Maybe she objected that it has been 10 years and she isn’t legally responsible, or the losing argument that SOL passed. In such as case, she stupidly waived her right to a non-judicial, anti-deficiency foreclosure by objecting. This is why when someone gets a threatening letter about TS foreclosures, at least consult an attorney, even if it costs $400/hr. She might have screwed herself over.

@Grammarhero this is really valuable information and a great service to the community. Also appreciate @Fredflintstone for bringing "non-judicial anti-deficiency" to our vocabulary. I am learning new info every day. Thanks for sharing.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Yikes!!! I cannot thank you Tuggers enough. I never thought I would receive so much information on the topic. Now, I need to sift though it all and be able to provide my sister with some type of solution to her dilemma. This is certainly a topic that others may benefit from as well. Thanks so much again!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
timeshare owners helping other owners...quite literally what this entire site was founded on. =D

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Yikes!!! I cannot thank you Tuggers enough. I never thought I would receive so much information on the topic. Now, I need to sift though it all and be able to provide my sister with some type of solution to her dilemma. This is certainly a topic that others may benefit from as well. Thanks so much again!

She is lucky to have you as a sister. As discussed from knowledgeable people on this thread, the biggest thing is for her is not to communicate with them without talking to a lawyer first in case this is a non-judicial foreclosure so she does not screw this up. They could view any communication from her as an objection to the non-judicial foreclosure which would waive her right to anti-deficiency and thus they could go after her and garnish for the lost MF. She should work with a foreclosure lawyer and share this thread with him/her to be sure on the approach and review the materials the court sent her as we have no idea what she received from the court.

Good luck and please report back what transpires so you can pay it forward.

Last edited:

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Anti-deficiency" means that they cannot garnish anything except the timeshare. This may apply in South Carolina as it applies in California for TS. Not sure about Pennsylvania. The OP should check this out with a foreclosure lawyer.
I'm not a lawyer - trying to understand this all... Does this mean that in California and South Carolina, if you stop paying maintenance fees, the only financial consequence you could have if you stop communicating is that the property can be taken back? I'm not planning to stop paying any fees - I like my timeshares. But it would be nice to know that what I own in California and South Carolina could be dealt with by not communicating/not paying fees at some point later in life if I wanted to get rid of them and couldn't sell them.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not a lawyer - trying to understand this all... Does this mean that in California and South Carolina, if you stop paying maintenance fees, the only financial consequence you could have if you stop communicating is that the property can be taken back? I'm not planning to stop paying any fees - I like my timeshares. But it would be nice to know that what I own in California and South Carolina could be dealt with by not communicating/not paying fees at some point later in life if I wanted to get rid of them and couldn't sell them.
Check out this list here https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...cial-state-ts-laws-and-guides-manuals.298554/

I obviously need to finish my legal research including the 32 other states.

CA allows anti-deficiency judgments even if you lose. However, in SC and FL, you must no object to the non-judicial, anti-deficiency disclosure, less you waive your right to if.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Check out this list here https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...cial-state-ts-laws-and-guides-manuals.298554/

I obviously need to finish my legal research including the 32 other states.

CA allows anti-deficiency judgments even if you lose. However, in SC and FL, you must no object to the non-judicial, anti-deficiency disclosure, less you waive your right to if.

This makes total sense as the thrust of TS contracts is to establish a creditor debtor relationship and to establish and further an “Account Stated” scenario.

Common within creditor debtor relationships is the ability to set the SOL clock back by allowing those to admit to the debt. Same as creating the objection clause to TS non judicial, anti deficiency foreclosures so they can pursue deficiencies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
And that’s why it’s best to not contact the resort if you default in any form WITHOUT garnering legal advice first.

Same as I am a real supporter of having any TS contract reviewed by Counsel BEFORE signing anything. I really hate these back room sales signing parties. I am surprised frankly it is still allowed to carry on given the magnitude of commitment people are signing for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: