• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resort on Cocoa Beach

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have an upcoming trade. Has anyone had any luck, coming in on a trade, requesting and receiving an oceanfront unit? If so, how did you get it?

Thanks for any help.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We did get oceanfront, we were hoping, but didn’t request, and we checked in around six

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I wondered if early check-in made a difference, or calling ahead. I'm usually go and take what I get.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We've stayed there several times but not in an oceanfront unit. However we were there at busy times. We always had a really nice view of the ocean from our balcony or sitting close to the balcony so we were fine with that.

I usually call RCI and ask what the unit number is for my reservation and if it is a resort that assigns the units themselves or you will only get the unit you booked. Then I call the resort and ask them if I will definitely be in that unit, barring unusual circumstances.

I learned to do this the hard way six years ago because of a different resort also in Cocoa Beach. The unit for our reservation was in an oceanfront unit but the resort didn't place us in that or another oceanfront unit. They have owners of multiple winter weeks and one of them got our unit. We were placed in a unit with no view of the ocean at all with such a severe mold problem that both of us ended up sick enough to require a visit to the doctor and antibiotics. Right away we complained several times that the unit smelled but they came up and said they couldn't smell anything. We asked about staying in a different unit but they refused to move us. Yes I should have immediately called RCI or had my husband do it but I was more concerned about our plans for when his brother and SIL were coming to stay for the second half of the week. I had ample time to regret my stupidity later as I have asthma and get migraines too from mold. I was flabbergasted that they couldn't smell anything because the living room furniture even smelled so they gave us some deodorizing spray. I liberally sprayed the living room sofa, love seat and chair. All areas with fabric on th e furniture and all sides of the cushions, left the cushions off to dry and when they were dry I covered the furniture with sheets so we could sit on the furniture. I didn't want our skin in contact with the chemicals from the spray and the sheet also helped provide a barrier for the smell. The first couple of days we never had the air conditioning on so didn't know it was the problem. We didn't notice the smell in bedrooms and beds like we did in the living room and kitchen. At one point we thought the refrigerator might be the source of the smell. Within minutes of turning the a.c. on my husband told me to get out of there, to go out on the balcony while he shut it off and headed for the office. Again they came up and said there was nothing they could do and we should expect a little funky smell with the heat and humidity in Florida. We live a couple of hours even further south in Florida so know this shouldn't be normal. This was before my husband retired and as part of his job he inspected electrical and mechanical equipment which meant they picked the wrong person to lie to and he knows the dangers of a fouled a.c. system. For a lesser problem they could have changed the filter and there is a spray that helps that apparently they know nothing about. You take off the vent covers and shoot the spray into the duct work. Sometimes wait and do it a second time. It is effective with minor problems but this was way beyond that. We found out about the spray when we stayed at another resort here in Florida. It doesn't just deodorize but also kills bacteria. Think Legionnaires disease. I'm still sorry to this day that I didn't report the resort to the local health authorities as the unit was unsafe to be occupied. Based on what they did and said I doubt they did anything after we left.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the name of the spray, that your husband sprayed into the duct work or was it the return vent in a hallway ; he used to spray to deodorize/eliminate the bad smell & killed germs in the villa.:D

What is name of this product. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
What is the name of the spray, that your husband sprayed into the duct work or was it the return vent in a hallway ; he used to spray to deodorize/eliminate the bad smell & killed germs in the villa.:D

What is name of this product. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

The Las Olas Beach Club in Cocoa Beach was where we stayed that had a terrible problem. It was so bad my husband didn't think that anything less than having the ac unit, ducts, carpet, drapes and furniture professionally cleaned would have helped.

Sorry but I don't know what the name of the product was. We were staying at the Plantation Beach Club on Indian River in Stuart, FL and it was their maintenance person who sprayed the ducts and told us about it. There was only a slight musty odor and the spray worked well. He came back a few days later and applied it a second time just to make sure.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Las Olas Beach Club in Cocoa Beach was where we stayed that had a terrible problem. It was so bad my husband didn't think that anything less than having the ac unit, ducts, carpet, drapes and furniture professionally cleaned would have helped.

Sorry but I don't know what the name of the product was. We were staying at the Plantation Beach Club on Indian River in Stuart, FL and it was their maintenance person who sprayed the ducts and told us about it. There was only a slight musty odor and the spray worked well. He came back a few days later and applied it a second time just to make sure.

Thanks, I will try to Google this for an answer.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update:

Checked in at about 4, check-in time, and asked if it was possible to get an oceanfront room. Was given room 718, which is an end unit at south end. Nice location and nice room.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can get very sick from funky A/C. I was working in Indonesia and stayed at a place where the water in the tube by the condenser was just nasty looking. No other options for hotels (small town) and going without AC was also not an option. I came home with a lung infection that wouldn't respond to standard antibiotics so they finally put me on Cipro (which did the trick). When the cultures finally came back it turned out I had E-coli - in my lungs!!!!!

johnnythatsmyboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at The Resort at Cocoa Beach (floating week) and have traded into the Resort via RCI. On the day of check in they have a sign in list that is available at 7:00 A.M.; I think; and then start calling names off the list at 9:00 A.M. You will need to call the Resort to confirm these times. What is great about this is that you can ask for the best room that is available; first come first serve per the sign in list. They will call you when the room is available for check in. After we put our name on the list we have breakfast at Simply Delicious; best breakfast in Cocoa Beach IMHO. Like Jan I also call the week prior for all our exchanges to confirm the reservation. I try to cover all bases :)

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
We own at The Resort at Cocoa Beach (floating week) and have traded into the Resort via RCI. On the day of check in they have a sign in list that is available at 7:00 A.M.; I think; and then start calling names off the list at 9:00 A.M. You will need to call the Resort to confirm these times. What is great about this is that you can ask for the best room that is available; first come first serve per the sign in list. They will call you when the room is available for check in. After we put our name on the list we have breakfast at Simply Delicious; best breakfast in Cocoa Beach IMHO. Like Jan I also call the week prior for all our exchanges to confirm the reservation. I try to cover all bases :)

I own four weeks at ROCB. They all float although there are A- and B-Pools. A-Pool is prime weeks; B-Pool is not. There are Saturday and Sunday starts. And, of course, the weeks are deeded to specific units. I have some units that are deeded oceanfront and some that are ocean view. I rent three or four weeks each year and have never had a guest that rented an ocean view unit get upgraded to a oceanfront unit. Can't say it doesn't happen but the way units are deeded, I can see that it might not happen.

My understanding, perhaps mistaken, is that the chaos in the lobby on Saturday and Sunday AMs is not a competition for oceanfront units. Rather, it is for the best of the ocean view units. Ocean view units are on the wing that is perpendicular to the beach -- the balconies face north. The closer to the beach, the more ocean in the view. Unit x01 is farthest from the beach and has the worst view, a very oblique view of the ocean. I think Unit x09 is the ocean view unit closest to the beach. It is still a north facing balcony but it has a lot better view. Units x10 through x18 are oceanfront.

ROCB may have some weeks of its own to play with and sometimes may be able to upgrade ocean view units to oceanfront. What I can say is if I arrive at 11 PM on Saturday night to occupy my reserved oceanfront unit and ROCB gave it away to someone that morning, I'm going to be beaucoup cheesed off!