• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resort fee at Massanutten effective 6/29/18 :(

arlock

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got the same email for a trip at the end of July that had been booked in January without any mention of this fee. Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?

Talk to customer service at Massanutten by phone ahead of time? Loud argument while in line checking in? Take it like a man?

I am a RCI exchanger, so threats of never coming back are as effective as threatening an armed robber with a feather duster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Heron

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may want to try Mountainside Villas, they are independent of the Masssanutten developer and have a very good HOA and management company. Their units while dated, are the biggest at Massanutten.
The fee also aplies to Mountainside Villas.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The problem is the developer kept control of all of the recreational facilities. So instead of it being shared (and paid) in common with the full time home oweners and the 7 timeshare HOA's, The developer pays for them and then each year they would charge access fee to the various HOA's. This has always covered all year for the full time home owners and their renters and guests, use during occupancy periods for owners and RCI guests and all year access to gold card owners- those that bought at least one unit direct from Massanutten. Since it is great Eastern denying entry to the facilities for RCI exchangers there isn't anything that the independent board at Mountainside can do. The other timeshare boards are fully controlled by Great Eastern. Mountainside might be able to make the fee voluntary for RCI exchangers but that would mean no access to any pools, playgrounds, tennis courts, rec centers, etc.

arlock

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I have managed to talk to people both at RCI and Massanutten. RCI has no control over what Massanutten says and does. RCI further stated that they had spoken to Massanutten management and the fees will stay, even for those who exchanged months ago. Massanutten states that RCI approved the fees.

Big old circle where they each refer you to the other one. And each says there is nothing you or they can do about it. Obviously, RCI will not refund points and exchange fee. Massanutten won't let us in without paying the fee that was just now created. I'm not too keen on losing $800.00 more or less (Exchange fee and value of points) by just staying home.

What is my probability of success if I were to seek a chargeback after the fact. Any other ideas?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
RCI says they have no control over what Massanutten says or does because that has been their mode of operations. If a resort wants to add a fee, RCI let's them do it. Approval might be a little strong of a word. If my son goes to a school that has a liberal dress code with a very few specific exceptions and he wears a t shirt of a boy wearing an nfl team peeing on the mascot of a rival team and the school doesn't make him go home and change, does that mean the school approved of the shirt?

What you can do is to try to make as big a stink as possible. I've been banned from posting on their facebook but others can continue to do so. Complain loudly when checking in. Make sure you rate them very low on RCI and with Trip Advisor. You can try disputing the charge after the fact but I am sure Massanutten will have you sign something acknowledging the fees and RCI always has the resort fees subject to change so I am not sure if you will have any luck. Normally I am not a fan of those punishing resorts with resort fees with lower scores. That is as long as the fee is disclosed at time of booking. Yes it sucks but you can choose not to exchange there is if you have a problem with it. That is not the case with this fee.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
So I have managed to talk to people both at RCI and Massanutten. RCI has no control over what Massanutten says and does. RCI further stated that they had spoken to Massanutten management and the fees will stay, even for those who exchanged months ago. Massanutten states that RCI approved the fees.

Big old circle where they each refer you to the other one. And each says there is nothing you or they can do about it. Obviously, RCI will not refund points and exchange fee. Massanutten won't let us in without paying the fee that was just now created. I'm not too keen on losing $800.00 more or less (Exchange fee and value of points) by just staying home.

What is my probability of success if I were to seek a chargeback after the fact. Any other ideas?
Just not fair. The fees were changed after booking. What if the resort decided to charge even more? Unfair practices, each blaming the other.

I would write a letter to RCI to higher ups. I would write a letter to Massanutten higher ups but first would write a letter to the Better Business Bureau attaching this letter to the other two. The BBB probably can’t do much but both RCI and Massanutten will know you will be a squeaky wheel and could pursue further. I would go on the principle of bait and switch and after they changed the terms that were agreed upon you are not allowed to get a refund.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Just not fair. The fees were changed after booking. What if the resort decided to charge even more? Unfair practices, each blaming the other.

I would write a letter to RCI to higher ups. I would write a letter to Massanutten higher ups but first would write a letter to the Better Business Bureau attaching this letter to the other two. The BBB probably can’t do much but both RCI and Massanutten will know you will be a squeaky wheel and could pursue further. I would go on the principle of bait and switch and after they changed the terms that were agreed upon you are not allowed to get a refund.

Add the State Attorney Generals to your list of correspondence (both the state your reside in AND Virginia for Massanutten).

arlock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Add the State Attorney Generals to your list of correspondence (both the state your reside in AND Virginia for Massanutten).
I was thinking the same thing. I was typing a response when yours came through:

I am almost tempted to research class action lawyers in VA. Both RCI and Massanutten have deep enough pockets, I presume, and I suspect that enough people were affected to make a half-way sizable group. People are going to pay the fee in order to not lose other money they have already paid. (Duress). Any provisions in the original booking saying that fees are subject to change would at least legally be tough to enforce (Illusionary Promise or an "agreement to agree"). Gotta be some sort of consumer protection laws available to sue federally.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
All of my comments and their answers have been deleted too. I guess after rereading they realized how weak their replies were.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Q:

Has anyone checked in over the past weekend
Were you charged the new resort fee?

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called and got thru complaining about the fee, since I booked it before they implemented it. The poor girl said would you like the manager to call you so you can discuss this??? Oh yes, that will be fine. Well, he called this morning. I almost fainted. He said there was nothing they could do about it but he would make a note of my displeasure and bring it up at the next meeting. The 1br's are 10 a day and 2 br's & up are 20 a day. They have had a lot of complaints about this . I pity the fool who gets me in the ts presentation as I need to get some of my money back. I asked about the owners being charged and he said they paid for it in their mf's but starting next year they will also be charged. I even asked if he could give me a discounted rate at a restaurant or activity. Nope.

I will be going July 29th for the week, so will report back. If anyone is there and wants to meet up just let me know.

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called and got thru complaining about the fee, since I booked it before they implemented it. The poor girl said would you like the manager to call you so you can discuss this??? Oh yes, that will be fine. Well, he called this morning. I almost fainted. He said there was nothing they could do about it but he would make a note of my displeasure and bring it up at the next meeting. The 1br's are 10 a day and 2 br's & up are 20 a day. They have had a lot of complaints about this . I pity the fool who gets me in the ts presentation as I need to get some of my money back. I asked about the owners being charged and he said they paid for it in their mf's but starting next year they will also be charged. I even asked if he could give me a discounted rate at a restaurant or activity. Nope.

I will be going July 29th for the week, so will report back. If anyone is there and wants to meet up just let me know.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
So now you must pay a resort fee and an activity fee. Is that correct and the new revenue funds goes into the developer account.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So now you must pay a resort fee and an activity fee. Is that correct and the new revenue funds goes into the developer account.
The resort fee is mandatory. The activity fee only applies if you are doing a particular activity that has a fee or if purchasing an activity card that gives discounts on various activities. The fee goes to the developer.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
I made a $159 one week reservation into a 2bdr at the woodstones before they announced this resort fee.
It seems their resort fee would be $140 in my case.
I honestly rather lose my $159 if that's the case.
Following is the list of complaints I'll be filing complaints with:
1) credit card company
2) RCI (they charged me so they could refund me if they wished)
3) the Virginia attorney general https://www.oag.state.va.us/consumer-protection/index.php/file-a-complaint
4) the federal trade commission ftc.gov

Please post your experience and results when complaining, I'll post mine as well.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I made a $159 one week reservation into a 2bdr at the woodstones before they announced this resort fee.
It seems their resort fee would be $140 in my case.
I honestly rather lose my $159 if that's the case.
Following is the list of complaints I'll be filing complaints with:
1) credit card company
2) RCI (they charged me so they could refund me if they wished)
3) the Virginia attorney general https://www.oag.state.va.us/consumer-protection/index.php/file-a-complaint
4) the federal trade commission ftc.gov

Please post your experience and results when complaining, I'll post mine as well.

If it is a 2 br sleeps 6 (1/2 of the full 4 BR deluxe or luxury units) your resort fee will be $54 (half of a full lock off unit be it 1 BR or 2 BR) If it is a 2 br sleeps 8 (full lock off- both sides in woodstone Casa), the resort fee will be $108 (full lock off unit be it 2, 3 or 4 BR). Doesn't address the complaints side of it but to give you an idea of the fee to expect.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score

In addition to the new Resort Fees

Discovery (or Adventure) Pass

MASSANUTTEEN RESORT
ADVENTURE PASS FEES

$99 • Adult - $79 • Child (17 & Under)

1 FREE USE FOR EACH:

• 1 All-Day WaterPark Admission
• 1 Round of Golf/FlingGolf™ (Greens fees only)
OR 2 Large Bucket of Range Balls
• Brewery Tour
• Tuesday & Wednesday Shows
• Wine Seminar
• Tie-Dye (Standard project)
• Teen Night
• All Arts & Crafts @ Ski Lodge: Level 1
• Virginia Museum of the Civil War
• Scenic Chairlift Ride
• Summer Tubing @ Fam. Adv. Park UNLIMITED:
• Heartbeat Aerobics
• Resort Yoga
• Zumba®
• Tennis Equipment
• Racquetball Equipment
• Pickleball • Shuffleboard 50% OFF:
• Additional WaterPark Admissions
• Additional Golf Greens Fees
• Arts & Crafts Classes @ Le Club Arts & Crafts
• The Mega or Kids Combo @ Fam. Adv. Park
• 2 Local Caverns: Luray & Grand
• Spa Classes
• Cell Phone Photography Class
• Golf Simulator: 1-Hr OTHER DISCOUNTS:
• $35 off Uncorked Art: A Wine & Paint Exp.
• $30 off Canopy Tour OR $30 off Mountain Biking Pathway Program: 3 Hrs
• $25 off Cooking Demonstration
• $20 off Scuba Diving Class
• $10 off Horseback Riding - Trail Rides: 1-Hr
• $10 off Massanutten Adventures Wash. DC Tour
• $5 off River Tubing • 25% off Nature Center Arts & Crafts Classes
• 10% off at Piney Mountain Gifts & Shoppe V
• 2 for 1 Wine Tastings at CrossKeys Vineyards

Source:
https://www.massresort.com/upload/photos/page_537_summer-pass-flyer-2018-web.pdf

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding: New Resort fees at
Massanutten - Effective 6-29-18

Maybe timeshares sales are down
@ Great Eastern Resorts timeshares

Q: If you were in charge, what would you do
to make Massanutten Resort McGaheysville
a better resort without charging resort fees
to RCI Exchange guests? (resort owners)

Note: You can’t keep all your customers happy,
and when you raise fees/prices, you’re bound
to upset some of them.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding: New Resort fees at
Massanutten - Effective 6-29-18

Maybe timeshares sales are down
@ Great Eastern Resorts timeshares

Q: If you were in charge, what would you do
to make Massanutten Resort McGaheysville
a better resort without charging resort fees
to RCI Exchange guests? (resort owners)

Note: You can’t keep all your customers happy,
and when you raise fees/prices, you’re bound
to upset some of them.

I would think time share sales hits the nail on the head. Massanutten's reputation of obnoxious sales people is getting more and more known with one story out that they physically prevented a woman and child from leaving. Yelp and trip advisor are checked by everyone now. A business will do anything to not report slowing sales. A captive audience is easy to milk for more and more. If they opened their books and actually showed how this fee was needed it would be easier to swallow. Or a plan to show future improvements. The telling thing is that the maintenance fees certainly didn't go down with this. There are 2400 units with most being lockoffs. This is a lot of money.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Massanutten is off my list of places to trade into. If I choose to pay extra fees it will be into a Disney resort.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Massanutten is off my list of places to trade into. If I choose to pay extra fees it will be into a Disney resort.

I have already passed on a week I would have jumped on before this fee.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
We were planning to visit Massanutten in 2019 but it's off our list now too.