• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resort fee at Massanutten effective 6/29/18 :(

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Q:

Did anyone get a postcard from RCI/VV

Celebrate the Grand Opening of Vacation Village Resorts
newest propertiesin historic Williamsburg, VA with a
Complimentary Vacation at select Vacation Village Resorts!

As a valued Vacation Village Resorts and affiliates owner,
you are invited to enjoy acomplimentary one week stay
with no deposit or Points required
for only a $159 transaction fee.*

https://www.rci.com/pre-rci-en_US/landing/vacation-village-family-of-resorts.page

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can see it now. Majors;i.e. Marriott, HGVC, Wyndham, etc. start charging non-owners a $25 per day "Amenities Fee" and agree to waive it if you agree to attend a Sales Pitch. This would do two things. First, it would be income from those who don't succumb and Second, it would save them the cost of gifts currently given out to entice attendance.

George

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I've received multiple emails with this offer
Q:

Did anyone get a postcard from RCI/VV

Celebrate the Grand Opening of Vacation Village Resorts
newest propertiesin historic Williamsburg, VA with a
Complimentary Vacation at select Vacation Village Resorts!

As a valued Vacation Village Resorts and affiliates owner,
you are invited to enjoy acomplimentary one week stay
with no deposit or Points required
for only a $159 transaction fee.*

https://www.rci.com/pre-rci-en_US/landing/vacation-village-family-of-resorts.page

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
For what is worth, if you already had a booking before them announcing the fee hike, it seems one could allege that their fee doesn't apply it ln your situation because a booking is a contract that can't be materially changed after it's entered into.
That argument has gotten me the desired effect with 1 airline, a cruise, and at least two resorts.
I'm looking forward to making this argument during my reservation in January 2019.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If anyone manages to get thru by phone... please ask if the daily fee is applied to all 7 days of a weekly reservation, even if you only stay 3 days. That's typically what we do when we get Last call and Extra vacation reservations.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We're at Smuggs now. Smuggs didn't charge us for internet either this trip or the last one. (They said that they don't charge RCI exchangers.) I had to pay for the Smuggs Pass, of course...but didn't pay the "resort fee" because I'd held on to the RFID cards from last year. The story I'd gotten last year was if we recycled those cards, we wouldn't have to pay for them again. They just reloaded them at check in.

I'll try to call Massanutten at some point soon. We're on vacation...so not sure it will be this week. Whatever the outcome, we'll keep this reservation. BUT I'm pretty sure we won't be in a hurry to return. And I'm for sure not wasting one minute of my vacation attending a presentation.

I agree with the statement made about the owners being the ones who can make change.

This interesting as us Smuggs owners have to pay for internet when we are there for our week or an exchange. How does this make any sense?

Last edited:

skew

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got through on the phone. I was told that they will waive the fee for gold card holders(for now) and that they will charge me $58/unit for my exchange into Woodstone. Same fee for the week that I own since I do not possess a gold card. I will not be renewing my RCI membership and not spend the money I would have spent with them. I will still enjoy my stay at my home resort and hope that they use the money to improve the property and amenities. Still enjoy the mountains and quiet time with family.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Trade value will diminish for owners as the demand to trade in will go down...
Even demand for higher end timeshares are losing demand. I noticed the Orlando prime winter weeks are abundant for hgvc in rci. My guess is with their new resort fees and lots of other choices they are going elsewhere.
Absolutely. We used to love the Orlando HGVC resorts. Won't trade in now, sorry. I'm sure there are many others like us.
I believe Smugglers Notch has some kind of fee also for exchangers. It's getting bad with these resorts lately. What is the point of being an owner anymore? Might as well rent.
Hasn't Smuggs had a resort/activity fee for exchangers for a long time, under the original developer? I'm pretty sure we considered trading in many years ago but we were put off by that fee.

Now, on the Wyndham resort webpage for Smuggs, it says "A resort fee is required at check-in for use on on-site resort facilities" but I don't see the amount. Is this for the resort fee or the amenities?

In RCI, it says, "Effective Friday, April 28, 2017 there is a mandatory Club Card Fee per stay, based on unit size confirmed. Fee ranges from $20 to $50 U.S. dollars." and "Optional Resort Amenities Fee: The fee is not mandatory to check in, but must be paid to access many of the on-site amenities. Visit www.smuggs.com for Smuggs Pass information and prices."
So there's a mandatory Club Card resort fee and an optional Smuggs Pass amenities fee. Think we need to make things a bit more complicated?! ;)

...Massanutten... I don't think they care if trading value in weeks tank because they are now selling rci points in 2 of those 3 sections and rci points values are set. If trading value tanks it will be another selling point that owners should pay the $5000+ per week to convert to RCI points.
RCI's contract with a resort or system is time-limited. If trading value tanks, it will impact the resort's renewal contract negotiations in a few years.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I got through on the phone. I was told that they will waive the fee for gold card holders(for now) and that they will charge me $58/unit for my exchange into Woodstone. Same fee for the week that I own since I do not possess a gold card. I will not be renewing my RCI membership and not spend the money I would have spent with them. I will still enjoy my stay at my home resort and hope that they use the money to improve the property and amenities. Still enjoy the mountains and quiet time with family.
I have contacted the local Harrisonburg news and continue to post on their facebook page. I encourage owners especially non gold card holders to also contact their HOA's. I am hoping to get the fee rescinding for all those who booked prior to the announcement and hopefully get the fees reduced or eliminated for future bookings.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Absolutely. We used to love the Orlando HGVC resorts. Won't trade in now, sorry. I'm sure there are many others like us.

Hasn't Smuggs had a resort/activity fee for exchangers for a long time, under the original developer? I'm pretty sure we considered trading in many years ago but we were put off by that fee.

Now, on the Wyndham resort webpage for Smuggs, it says "A resort fee is required at check-in for use on on-site resort facilities" but I don't see the amount. Is this for the resort fee or the amenities?

In RCI, it says, "Effective Friday, April 28, 2017 there is a mandatory Club Card Fee per stay, based on unit size confirmed. Fee ranges from $20 to $50 U.S. dollars." and "Optional Resort Amenities Fee: The fee is not mandatory to check in, but must be paid to access many of the on-site amenities. Visit www.smuggs.com for Smuggs Pass information and prices."
So there's a mandatory Club Card resort fee and an optional Smuggs Pass amenities fee. Think we need to make things a bit more complicated?! ;)

RCI's contract with a resort or system is time-limited. If trading value tanks, it will impact the resort's renewal contract negotiations in a few years.

There is a lot of confusion at Smuggs between the resort fee and the activity fee. It’s gotten so convoluted I can’t even begin to tell you.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Massanutten. Yes..all the "Free" things are covered under that fee. Pools/rec center/hiking trails/etc. BUT...the price they quoted was $9.99/unit/day or $54 for the week. Huh. Will be interesting to see what I actually pay when we show up in August.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's just ridiculous

poorguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for those that have called and posted about it. I haven’t had the time to try and call. They seemed to have deleted my post on their Facebook page where I asked if the fee applied since I made my reservation months ago when it didn’t exist. I will try again I guess. I note the fine print on my RCI confirmation says resort fees are subject to change without notice. So I guess that gives them the ability to do this.

The tone and content of their replies on Facebook about this seem to indicate this is all about them wanting you to buy directly from them to be an owner.

Maybe it’s just me but I would never buy from a company that operates this way. Or exchange into again for that matter. This will be my first and last trip here.

Lovinglife_30

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent an message via fb to Massanutten this afternoon. Here is the conversation. Excuse the grammar I was talking to type on my phone.

If you are a gold card owner, we will waive the fee for you!

That is not the point, if I exchange my week into RCI whom ever rents my week will get charged which increases their fees and vacation. There fore making Massanutten higher for the same services that used to be free.

In order to offer world class amenities and facilities for our guests, we have associated a nominal usage fee. This fee will cover admittance to the rec facilities along with a few other items on the property. This fee is common throughout the resort industry and our price point is well below the industry average of $18-23 per day assessed at many other resorts. Our management teams are well versed with the new fee and will be glad to assist you if you'd like to voice concern over this change. The 540-289-9441 number is experiencing a high call volume and patience will be greatly appreciated as we respond to every call that we can.

We don't anticipate any reduction in your trading power through RCI

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
“ This fee is common throughout the resort industry and our price point is well below the industry average of $18-23 per day assessed at many other resorts.”

Says it all where the timeshare industry is going with trading. The thought is they do so we can. I believe this will just continue to expand among the timeshares.

Being a hgvc member I am not happy that they added the resort fee either.

I use to trade most of my weeks 14, now I am down to 3, the rest I use. I changed my portfolio to save the always increasing fees.

Has to be hurting rci, II, etc. Only they can stop it by telling member resorts they cannot be members with added fees but they probably won’t being afraid the resort will go to the competition. Penny wise dollar foolish.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Being you have to pay for activity passes, this is unfair for a trade. Let us know what they tell say you get for the fee.
How come RCI doesn’t contact the resort to find this out and let you know? Isn’t that the way it’s supposed to be handled?

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
MASSANUTTEN RESORT
  • NEW! Amazon Fire TV Stick rental

The Televisions in some/most of The Summit
units are old and dated and still have CD/VCR
combo players. Most units don`t have DVD
or Blu-Raywith HDMI or USB so now you can
rent an Amazon Fire TV Stick from The Market
for only $15 for 2 nights or $25 for 4 days!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It seems like Massanutten turned off the ability to write posts or respond to posts.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Massanutten Resort

The Business Center is no longer

on the lower level of the Woodstone building
As of 2018 The Business Center is currently
located in a small room in The Market Building
It features 2 old computers and 2 old printers

You have to ask for printer paper
The first 10 pages are free

Restrooms and Parking are available

Massanutten Resort consists of 2,218 units and
180 rooms in a variety of building sizes and styles

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
BTW- that free WIFI for RCI exchangers into Smugglers Notch was just a special program they offered for RCI guests during the month of June this year.

Ricci

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
After being on hold for nearly 30 minutes, I finally got through to the switchboard at Massanutten. The resort fee is $54/week and doesn't include anything extra...... basically everything that was free previous to June 29 is now $54. I questioned why they are doing this and was told that they are catching up on the 21st century.
The cost is $54 per 2 bdrm unit. Like I said previously, this is not a high end resort and although I have to keep this reservation......I definitely will NOT go back again.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After being on hold for nearly 30 minutes, I finally got through to the switchboard at Massanutten. The resort fee is $54/week and doesn't include anything extra...... basically everything that was free previous to June 29 is now $54. I questioned why they are doing this and was told that they are catching up on the 21st century.
The cost is $54 per 2 bdrm unit. Like I said previously, this is not a high end resort and although I have to keep this reservation......I definitely will NOT go back again.

They are catching up with the 21st century by double charging. Owners pay a recreation facility charge of about $50 as part of the MF's. I think Great Eastern (the developer actually owns them) and then sets the budget as to what to charge owners as part of the MF's each year. Regular owners get rec passes when staying at Massanutten as do exchangers. Gold card owners traditional had use of the facilities 365 even when not staying on site. Problem Massanutten has is that probably 1/3 of the the 104,000 units (2000 times 52) are either developer owned or in the hands of non paying owners. For every 3 owner unit deposited in RCI, there probably is 1 units deposited by the developer. Massanutten is tired of paying and giving away so many units- (much like Vidanta). Unfortunately they don't discriminate between the 2 owner deposits that are exchanged for and already fully paid and the one where the developer paid all the fees. If they are giving away the units to rci, they want something in return.

Unfortunately their back room deal with RCI probably includes a minimum number of annual units that they need to deposit in order to get the trading power they do. But what they need to do is to ramp up their own rental business to cover the fees to pay for those facilities. Problem is most off season weeks would rent for less than MF. To keep up the fiction that being an owner is better than being a rental-(the developer makes money on sales much more so than management fees) and if they rented for less than MF that fiction would be too transparent. They need RCI to get rid of a bunch of inventory and they need to find a way to monetize the process for themselves -hence the fees. It just skrews over those wanting an equal trade into owner inventory. And it is a big skrew up to implement it mid year without more notice to those who exchanged and rented from rci without the notice that the fee would apply.

Last edited:

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score

Massanutten Resort should post copies of their by-laws and addendum on their
website or at least send a copy to a person (owners/exchangers) upon request.

That way people (Massanutten owners/RCI exchangers) will know whats
new and how management made their decisions and if/when new policies
such as the new Massanutten "Resort Fees" are/were made and when they
go into effect and how the new (daily/weekly) resort fees are collected.

There are so many unanswered questions... Will owners exchanging back
in have to pay the resort fee - is it just for RCI weeks exchangers - or will
RCI points exchangers have to pay. Companies should post their policies.

An addendum is an additional item, usually to a document or book.
Commonly it includes omissions or other missing material from the original.

If this is the new norm, I would like to see a per person fee for use only
not a fee collected for something someone may or may not use during
their stay at Timeshare Resorts such as Massanutten Resort in Virginia.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
BTW- that free WIFI for RCI exchangers into Smugglers Notch was just a special program they offered for RCI guests during the month of June this year.[/QUOT
Guess I lucked out twice, then. I got the same story last August. :) Didn't pay either time.