• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Residents of Sedona not happy with rental investors.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1846713001

'They killed our city': Locals feel helpless as vacation rentals overrun Sedona, Arizona

Residents in Sedona are struggling to find long-term housing in the city after a state law prohibited the city from regulating short-term rentals.

Julieanna Bottorff has lived in her quiet Sedona neighborhood for 20 years. A deer path that runs behind her house and across the street was regularly trafficked by wildlife.

Then a developer moved in across the street and ripped up the path, she says.

The developer plans to build as many as five 6,000-square-foot homes to be used as short-term rentals, neighbors say. The once quiet street is now punctuated with the steady noise of construction.

The move comes as residents of the tourist hotspot grapple with the consequences of a two-year-old state law that restricts how cities and towns can regulate short-term home rentals advertised on websites such as Airbnb or VRBO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
When I was just a first year teacher I went with my best friend to spend Christmas and New Years in Hawaii. Actually I was a second year teacher because my first year, I could never afford such an expensive trip.

So I saved up my money and we took off for a beautiful holiday. We spent the whole time in Waikiki, Oahu except for the little trips we took to the other side of the island to see the big waves or the Hawaiian Village. Yes, we were typical tourists....and did all the typical tourist things....but we did not know any better and we were very respectful to all the people we met.

We had booked some trips through our travel company and had the same tour guide...his name was Rocky and he was a great guy. One night, after a tour, he invited me to go for a walk on the beach by our hotel. It was all friendly stuff...we were both young and just enjoying life. No romance...I would have been very shy if he had tried anything...we just walked and talked.

He told me just how expensive everything was on the island. Quite a few people resented all the tourists because they made everything expensive. Yes, he had a job...but there were very little opportunities to advance in their occupations because everything was focussed on tourism.

I was quite surprised to hear this. He was not angry...just stating a fact...that Hawaii was so beautiful but the development was a mixed blessing. That was over 40 years ago...I am sure it is much more developed now a days.

I think that the rush to develop all these rental housing markets is a tide that cannot be stopped. Anyone who had a nice sleepy place to live....if it is too nice....someone is going to develop it for all the retiring babyboomers.

Ten years ago we were all working...now that we are retiring and have one of the biggest stash of income of all the generations....be prepared to be invaded by anything to do with retiring babyboomers.

I was just reading where the boomers will be buying recreational property for their millennial children. Water or mountain property will be increasingly popular. Millenilals cannot afford big housing like their parents but will buy recreational property. Parents are the babysitting generation now and the millennials are having the children for them to babysit.

Anyway, I do not have a crystal ball for the future...but this cohort that I am a part of...a retiring babyboomer is going to disrupt the recreation space. It is just the beginning.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
That's progress !
Happens in every special town.
We had a buitiful farm across the street from our house, gone! Houses now. Few years later built another house and the original builder came over to complain.
I told him you started it, and I don't want to here it now.

It's pretty in Sedona it's only going to get worse.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
They should have bought something when they moved their 20 or 30 years ago. It would have been a fraction of the cost that it is now. If they did they would sell and move and be happy with the capital gain.

Living next to vacant land with the expectation that it will forever remain vacant is naive at best, and stupid at worst. If it is not national/state park or federal land, then someone owns it and can sell it at anytime to anyone. It might have to be rezoned, that is your only opportunity to have a voice.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Yes, he had a job...but there were very little opportunities to advance in their occupations because everything was focussed on tourism.

I was quite surprised to hear this. He was not angry...just stating a fact....
I had a similar experience in Sedona in '04 when I asked a local why the locals were so crabby. I mean, they are living in such a beautiful place!

She patiently explained that after they moved to "paradise," they realized they still had to work. So, it's no longer like those idyllic vacation days.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
That's progress !
Happens in every special town.
We had a buitiful farm across the street from our house, gone! Houses now. Few years later built another house and the original builder came over to complain.
I told him you started it, and I don't want to here it now.

It's pretty in Sedona it's only going to get worse.
So true! In my former home state, a farming couple is being prevented from selling their land to developers. It seems the neighbors in the surrounding subdivisions don't want to give up their view. Mrs. Farmer gently tried to explain the irony of this at the zoning meetings. It was ok for her former farming neighbors to sell their farms years earlier so these folks could move there.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1846713001

'They killed our city': Locals feel helpless as vacation rentals overrun Sedona, Arizona

Residents in Sedona are struggling to find long-term housing in the city after a state law prohibited the city from regulating short-term rentals.

I saw this article before you posted. I've had conversations with locals about this, too. Rental housing vanished there a couple of years ago. The AirBnB thing is extremely lucrative. There are people in Phoenix buying homes in the Sedona area for this purpose, but then nearly every homeowner here already owns at least two homes - they scooped up cheap rentals 10 years ago when the market went bust.

As I recall, the state law actually prevents local governments from making all sorts of laws which are more restrictive than the state. The state does depend on tourism and part-time residents. Sedona had a texting law. So tourists would be ticketed. The state feels that these sorts of law are anti-friendly to one of the largest sources of income. Good news, though. We now have a statewide texting law. It's just not friendly to visitors to have to navigate various laws as they drive through the state.

And, Sedona did this to themselves. They have notoriously restrictive zoning laws. Where else did McDonalds cave and paint their Golden Arches turquoise? The locals go on and on and lament about allowing the recent Best Western to be built. In the end, they agree that it turned out okay.

They stopped the building of timeshares years ago and that's been a good thing for Tuggers that own there.

There's been huge growth in that area. The population of the state has nearly doubled in the last twenty years. It's not easy to get a room up there.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Dont it always seem to go that you dont know what you got till its gone, paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

I just picked up a getaway to Hyatt, we like that location. We were last there in 2013 and looked at a fixer right behind HPP listed at $399k. Somebody fixed it up very nice and included a rental unit, sale pending for almost double.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/711-Forest-Rd-Sedona-AZ-86336/7381028_zpid/

I appreciate their strict zoning, nothing uglier than driving down the street looking at fast food signs and utility lines on poles, signs, signs, everywhere signs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

rosebud5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good friend of mine owns a micro-brewery and restaurant in Sedona, Oak Creek brewery. Was there in May visiting him. I was struck by the beauty of the area and thought to myself.. what a great place to retire to. Apparently, its a pretty pervasive thought. He moved there in 1992 and told me how much it has changed. Property values have skyrocketed. This is the thing.. why should a beautiful place like Sedona be reserved for only a few? I'm sure you would all like to keep it small and quaint, but it will grow, as long as its affordable. The good thing is it will always retain its beauty.. the red rocks will never disappear, the grand canyon will still be only a couple hours away, Phoenix will still be a short drive, the beauty of going north into Utah will not change It will never turn into a big city, but the days of old are long gone.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
On our trip to Sedona we checked out some real estate. If we were to purchase in the Sedona area it wouldn't be in the middle of Sedona proper. Probably out side Sedona but close enough to the Red Rock. The Oak Creek area kind of appealed to me.

We spoke to a resident of Sedona while on a hike. We were in a vortex area I guess. These people moved to Sedona about 20 years ago. They didn't seem to mind that the area has turned into a tourist destination because they make their living off of tourists.

In contrast, I talked to a local in Makaha Hawaii. They don't like tourists for many reasons the main reason being that wealthy people have bought up all of the beach front properties and the price is too high for the locals to buy anything in any city.

Bill

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Couldn't this be said about any attractive resort area?

Thinking about Sedona specifically, when we visited there a couple of years ago, I was struck by how a good number of the full time residents lived in the city. Packed in like sardines, no yard or area to enjoy of their own....it really looked like a miserable existence but with a lovely view.

I sincerely hope where ever we end up when we move that it does not end up similar to what Sedona is turning into.
Park City (we visited there this year) is another example.

Last edited:

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess everyone wants to be the last person in. I've often said, 'if you like the view, you better own it.' This is mostly in reference to the farm couple who wanted to sell but the neighbors don't want them to because of the view. Perhaps people should try on other people's shoes before they demand things be stopped.

Aside from that, there's nothing the 'natives' can do really. Except maybe move? Best kept secrets about 'best places to live' become non-secrets and then everyone wants to be there. Human nature I'm guessing. This is a story that plays out in numerous places - and has played out in numerous places before. Before there were suburbs people paid to be in the city. Now some bigger cities are 'slummy' in some areas. The tide seems to be turning and younger people seem to be moving back to cities because of transportation without cars and vicinity to 'places to go'.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
Wish Vermont had some development, the rural areas have been in a recession since 2006.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Seems to be a lot of anti-tourist crap going around.