• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rescinding today's purchase in Mexico

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I think I'd prepare a letter for your credit card company and let them know you exercised your right to rescind your contract according to Mexican law. Include copies of your first letter showing the date and give all the details of what happened when you tried to cancel.

Also, contact Profeco and give them all that information, too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Circle sunset
I think I'd prepare a letter for your credit card company and let them know you exercised your right to rescind your contract according to Mexican law. Include copies of your first letter showing the date and give all the details of what happened when you tried to cancel.

Also, contact Profeco and give them all that information, too.
Thanks I just called my credit card and they transfer me to the dispute department they’re gonna send a dispute letter and they want me to fill out everything and send it back to them after a few days or else I’ll be charged.

EmptyNester

Reaction score
The instructions for rescission should be in the packet of information, including your contract. I wouldn't go and talk to a salesperson -- at best they would try to talk you out of it, and at worst, they would be underhanded and take your rescission information and then never submit it, just to save their commission.

Kurt
We had a similar situation last year. The Customer Service dept was extremely understanding and helpful.

Tsdude

TUG Member
Reaction score
We foolishly find ourselves in a similar place. We signed a contract on Monday Feb 4 in Cancun. Since that time, we sent rescission letters to all addresses on the contract via DHL with signature required. We plan to also send via USPS registered mail on Monday (day 5). I called Profeco and the woman I talked with sounded hopeful. I followed up with emails to all email addresses I could find for the company as well as Profeco and included a copy of the letter we mailed.

Other ideas?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We foolishly find ourselves in a similar place. We signed a contract on Monday Feb 4 in Cancun. Since ....via DHL with signature required. We plan to also send via USPS registered mail on Monday (day 5). I called Profeco and the woman I talked with sounded hopeful. I followed up ...included a copy of the letter we mailed.

Other ideas?
As others said above in this thread
- If a credit card was used for a deposit .

Contact credit card company to explain you have rescinded & any charges are disputed .
Don’t use that card for now & ask them to cancel the number once resolved / credit issued
and issue you a new card number .

Ask if they want copies as well

Rescinding is a legal right .

Last edited:

Tsdude

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've already sent rescission letters as I noted above. It does say on our contract that it is also a valid option to deliver the notice in person. Since we are staying at a sister resort our sales rep offered to have us driven back to the sales office where we signed to help us cancel. Even though we are sure they will try to talk us out of cancelling, we still think it is worth the trip in the hopes of getting a written notice of cancellation. And take a video of us handing our cancellation letter to the rep.

Other thoughts?

Tsdude

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the way, thank you all for being here to offer suggestions and share experiences! We can have the "how could you be so stupid" discussion later, but for now it is encouraging to hear others that have gone down the same path we're on.

rolly

Reaction score
Thanks I just called my credit card and they transfer me to the dispute department they’re gonna send a dispute letter and they want me to fill out everything and send it back to them after a few days or else I’ll be charged.
Once your dispute goes through with the credit card company, the disputed amount will be set aside until your case is settled by the credit card company with the merchant. No interest will incur on your disputed amount. Give it time and it will be all over. This is what happened with my credit card. off course after all was settled I had cancelled the card and had them issue me a new card. The only thing that pisses me off is the zillions of email I receive from mexico base outfit as they have my email

Dariah

Reaction score
I am happy to report that I got a full refund within 5 days. All the paperwork was handled via email.

Great! I was just checking for an update. It's been 2 weeks since I sent my letter, I got a phone call from someone "welcoming" me to the club told them I sent a cancellation letter. Yesterday evening I got an email from the operation supervisor. So I emailed her back this morning. I was too nice and gave them explanations..I should have just said refund please and thanks and that's all.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Circle sunset
Wow you guys are lucky! Mine is still waiting. I called my credit card company again and they said they’ll talk to the merchant. Actually the sunset group from Mexico has tried to call me and left a message on my voicemail. I’m not sure if I should answer them/call them or just let the credit company do all the stuff for the refund.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
.....Actually the sunset group from Mexico has tried to call me and left a message on my voicemail. I’m not sure if I should answer them/call them or just let the credit company do all the stuff for the refund.

DO NOT ANSWER - they just want to convince you to keep it .

Stay in contact with the credit card company & let them do the job .

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Circle sunset
DO NOT ANSWER - they just want to convince you to keep it .

Stay in contact with the credit card company & let them do the job .
Thanks I’m planning to call back today actually to verify the cancellation but I’m not so sure on what to do

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks I’m planning to call back today actually to verify the cancellation but I’m not so sure on what to do
Tell them that you cancelled on (date) and what the (bleep) are they waiting for????!!!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

If you did call them - I hope it was helpful .

IMO - It is not a good idea to contact any TS sales organization once you have rescinded ;and
awaiting full refund .

Dariah

Reaction score
I got an email today with membership cancellation letter to sign today. Was very clear, proper amounts to be refunded, then asked questions about why the rescind so it better helps them in the future. I have been very lucky, it went smoothly.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I got an email today with membership cancellation letter to sign today. Was very clear, proper amounts to be refunded, then asked questions about why the rescind so it better helps them in the future. I have been very lucky, it went smoothly.
I’m glad they are going to cancel your purchase but I wouldn’t waste too much time explaining why you rescinded. According to Mexican law, you have the right to rescind within the prescribed time without any other reason than that you decided to exercise that right.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
...... Was very clear, proper amounts to be refunded ....

then asked questions about why the rescind so it better helps them in the future. ......

I agree with Karen - no need to teach the vultures how to eat more pigeons

Dariah

Reaction score
I’m glad they are going to cancel your purchase but I wouldn’t waste too much time explaining why you rescinded. According to Mexican law, you have the right to rescind within the prescribed time without any other reason than that you decided to exercise that right.
It was 5 questions on the form you only had to answer yes or no.