• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resale - good deal?

lrm236

Reaction score
Went to a Westin timeshare presentation in Maui today and really liked what we saw.

However, after investigating further, not sure which option is the better deal - direct purchase or a resale purchase, as there is about a $30,000 difference.

Is a resale too good to be true, even if it is at a mandatory location? As this is a mandatory location, can I also exchange on the external exchange?

Also, not sure about the rating of the staroptions points - is there a site that can advise how much points are required for each resort and also how the resort compares against other external resorts?

Thanks,

Lesley

teepeeca

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have an extra $30k to spend, and don't mind doing it, go for the "developer purchase". After all, it is only $$$. You get the same thing (maybe minus some perks) buying "resale".

Are the perceived "perks" worth the extra $30k??? YOU be the judge !!!

Resale (in my mind) is the only way to go.

Tony

zcrider

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
resale

The only thing you lose by buying resale is the ability to change your staroptions into starpoints (to be used at hotels if you don't want to use your timeshare week) They are not a very good exchange value, so most people never do that anyway. Not worth the thousands of dollars it will cost you to get that option from the developer.
Hawaii is platinum and therefore gets you lots of staroptions, however, if you don't plan on always going to Hawaii, it might be best to buy another location and trade into Hawaii. For instance if you want to go to Harborside at Atlantis or St. John..........you will have a hard time getting that trade from Hawaii. My friends bought Hawaii and still have not been able to trade into Harborside or St. Johns for any prime weeks. The owners at those two locations mostly rent the prime week if they are not going to use it b/c once you look at the staroption chart you will see they don't give you enough value to give them up. But if you own one of those you can trade to anywhere else easily as everyone wants to trade into those two locations.
But just to give you something else to think about the Westin Kierland villas in Arizona have the lowest maintance fees per staroption, so are the best value for some. And you can get into the other starwood locations but mostly off season weeks. So it really depends of when and where you want to travel as to which starwood to buy resale.
Make sure you pick a mandatory resort if you want to be able to trade it internally. The charts for starwood can be found here on TUG in the starwood section and on the starwood website (but you might have to be an owner already to axcess them there?)
So think about where you want to go the most often and buy there, or if you want to mostly try new places each time and are very flexible on the dates you travel buy where the MF's are lowest.
Keep in mind the MF's at starwood are some of the highest out there so you have to really like that quality and the locations offered to justify it. If you like lots of other places too and almost as good a quality then Marriott might be better. They have more locations, more reasonable MF's and happier owners. I own one starwood week at Harborside b/c we want to go there each year, and I own one Marriott week in Branson to trade with.
Good luck in your search, you have come to the right place and timeshare ownership is great fun and great value when you learn how to work the angles!

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Went to a Westin timeshare presentation in Maui today and really liked what we saw.

However, after investigating further, not sure which option is the better deal - direct purchase or a resale purchase, as there is about a $30,000 difference.

Is a resale too good to be true, even if it is at a mandatory location? As this is a mandatory location, can I also exchange on the external exchange?

Also, not sure about the rating of the staroptions points - is there a site that can advise how much points are required for each resort and also how the resort compares against other external resorts?

Thanks,

Lesley

When you went to Maui were they discussing buying Maui or Kauai? Kauai is a voluntary resort and resale purchases cannot trade internally using Staroptions.

IMO resale is the way to go but, because it is voluntary and expensive, I wouldn't buy Kauai resale even if I loved the resort.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If you bought - rescind.

then research (and make an informed decision)

then resale.

What you are asking is too complicated to give an informed decision/opinion - it really depends on your vacation needs.
It is more than the SO cost - MFs (and increases of MFs at ~10%/year over the last 5 years) - and of course... location.

If you want a Mandatory resort (after your research has convinced you to buy a SVO VOI) - then consider WKV. If you want to save upfront costs and MFs (but not use SVN for exchange - only II exchange) - then consider a Voluntary resort (others would have to chime in what is the best).

If you absolutely need HI - then buy WKORV-S/N - actually I would (and did...) buy OF at WKORV-S - especially at the very low resale price. Otherwise, buy WKORV-N IV/OV (resale).

my opinion.

PS - once you have figured out what I am talking about above - you have done sufficient research...

Last edited:

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score

Lesley

As others have stated the ability to convert your ownership interest into SPG points will NOT transfer on the resale market. If you purchase the Westin Ka'anapali (Original or North) you will get the use of StarOptions on the resale and with ANY SVO purchase on the resale market, you can trade externally with II and in some cases RCI as well.

One thing I would suggest is to get comfortable with seeing pricing that is MUCH MUCH lower than the price the developer is offering. You should find some consistency so when you see a price that sticks out like a sore thumb (extremely low), make sure that you truly understand what is being advertised. Many resellers are going to provide ambiguous ads with an excellent price to gain leads and interest. Meanwhile, the annual, 2/2, ocean view unit that was price at $xx,xxx.xx turns out to be an EOY ownership.

If this is your first time purchasing on the secondary market, consider working with a licensed agent. You may pay a little more, but that is not always the case. Working with someone that you can trust will ultimately make the process smooth, and you will have someone to go to bat for you should there be any bumps in the road.

Good luck - great property

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I would never buy a TS in Maui again, no matter how good the purchase price. The MFs are par with rental prices and you are locked into booking a year in advance if you want the best view. Maui county is soaking TS owners for all we're worth. And airfare is through the roof.

Nope. Save your money and rent.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I would not buy a SW timeshare in Hawaii - PERIOD:

1) I have been an owner at the Maui resort since pre-construction, and the maintenance fee has increased $1,100 since 2004.

2) To add insult to injury, Maui County has declared war on timeshare owners by raising the property tax on timeshares to many times the rate paid by local home owners.

3) Add to that the issues with Starwood Mgmt....and it's a deal killer!​

If you already bought - you should rescind immediately: Rescinding FAQ

As far as the price - 2 bdm. Island View units are selling on the resale market for $9-10K.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I agree in part with Lisa and Denise - However, with disposible income, and true Ocean-front was really important, and had the resources and time to rent the studio side to offset the MFs. I would consider buying resale Ocean-Front center (OFC) at WKORV if at a bargain price.

Why? If those criteria above are met - then WKORV OFC offers a unique TS, has lower MFs than the Deluxe (Corner) OF villa - although not as large and with less light and panaromic views, and has a studio with a lanai directly facing the ocean - and WKORV is a great resort/location even with the issues with SVO.

my opinion