TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice

replacement hot water heater

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by tschwa2, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Bucky

Bucky TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
    Sheraton Broadway Plantation
    I see plenty of recommendations to shop the big box stores but what they didn’t mention is these stores also have sub contractors that will do the installation for a set price. Because I am no longer able to lift much I had them do our two new toilets. Very reasonably priced. And paid for up front so no surprises! It always helps that I stockpile Lowe’s gift cards I buy on eBay for a 10% discount and then get another 10% military discount at time of use.

silentg likes this.
  2. Elan

Elan TUG Member

Everyone should check their own state laws regarding DIY work, permitting, inspections, etc. I don't see the point in trying to scare someone into spending money they might not need to spend.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

PigsDad likes this.
  3. mpumilia

mpumilia TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    I never got a permit when we replaced our old boiler and hot water heater with the System 2000 system. We used a local reputable installer. Didn't say anything about permits. I never would think you would need one for that.

Anyway, this permit business is getting out of hand I think. Permits for this; permits for that. On your own property. SMH.....

4. jimf41

jimf41 TUG Member

I agree that the permit requirements are getting a little out of hand. It seems that they are more to generate revenue for the issuing body sometimes. I disagree strongly with the premiss that if you don't have one your insurance is void. That's nonsense. In order to void your insurance the carrier would have to show that some construction was performed in a shoddy manor that contributed directly to the loss. However not having all the correct permits will definitely cause problems in selling your home if the buyer or the mortgage lender raise the issue. In that case getting a permit is a simple application in most cases but a permit is just that a, permit. When the permitted work is complete then you apply for a CO (certificate of occupancy), that's when the inspection comes in not when you get a permit. Permits can be renewed almost indefinitely in some cases.

+1 on the tankless water heater. In order to extend the life of your current WH open the drain cock on the bottom every 6 months or so and drain a quart of water out. This prevents the minerals in the water from etching and eventually breaking the glass liner in the WH.

klpca, Elan and mpumilia like this.
  5. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Unfortunately tankless water heater runs only on gas. We have no gas in our building. We love our recirculating pump. It is always hot when you turn on a tap, but it also uses quite a bit more electricity.

6. PigsDad

PigsDad TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club
    There are electric tankless water heaters, but of course you would need 220/240 volt electric service.

Kurt

7. PigsDad

PigsDad TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Regarding tankless water heaters -- one issue that many do not realize is that performance (flow rate) can be greatly affected by your cold water temperature. If you are in an area where your cold water is 60 degrees or better, tankless WH can work great. However, if you are in a part of the country where your cold water is 50, 40, or even colder, the flow rate of a standard tankless system can be an issue and you probably will need a higher BTU (more expensive) unit.

Kurt

mpumilia likes this.
  8. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Mm.. I just checked it out and yes there are electric models. I will check with our in house engineer who is also our HOA president as to whether it is a technical issue or not. The plumber told us it could not be done.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  9. PigsDad

PigsDad TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    It might be an electrical service capacity issue. Some of those electric models can pull 150 Amps!

Kurt