• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

replacement hot water heater

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
I see plenty of recommendations to shop the big box stores but what they didn’t mention is these stores also have sub contractors that will do the installation for a set price. Because I am no longer able to lift much I had them do our two new toilets. Very reasonably priced. And paid for up front so no surprises! It always helps that I stockpile Lowe’s gift cards I buy on eBay for a 10% discount and then get another 10% military discount at time of use.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everyone should check their own state laws regarding DIY work, permitting, inspections, etc. I don't see the point in trying to scare someone into spending money they might not need to spend.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I never got a permit when we replaced our old boiler and hot water heater with the System 2000 system. We used a local reputable installer. Didn't say anything about permits. I never would think you would need one for that.

Anyway, this permit business is getting out of hand I think. Permits for this; permits for that. On your own property. SMH.....

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that the permit requirements are getting a little out of hand. It seems that they are more to generate revenue for the issuing body sometimes. I disagree strongly with the premiss that if you don't have one your insurance is void. That's nonsense. In order to void your insurance the carrier would have to show that some construction was performed in a shoddy manor that contributed directly to the loss. However not having all the correct permits will definitely cause problems in selling your home if the buyer or the mortgage lender raise the issue. In that case getting a permit is a simple application in most cases but a permit is just that a, permit. When the permitted work is complete then you apply for a CO (certificate of occupancy), that's when the inspection comes in not when you get a permit. Permits can be renewed almost indefinitely in some cases.

+1 on the tankless water heater. In order to extend the life of your current WH open the drain cock on the bottom every 6 months or so and drain a quart of water out. This prevents the minerals in the water from etching and eventually breaking the glass liner in the WH.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately tankless water heater runs only on gas. We have no gas in our building. We love our recirculating pump. It is always hot when you turn on a tap, but it also uses quite a bit more electricity.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Unfortunately tankless water heater runs only on gas. We have no gas in our building. We love our recirculating pump. It is always hot when you turn on a tap, but it also uses quite a bit more electricity.
There are electric tankless water heaters, but of course you would need 220/240 volt electric service.

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Regarding tankless water heaters -- one issue that many do not realize is that performance (flow rate) can be greatly affected by your cold water temperature. If you are in an area where your cold water is 60 degrees or better, tankless WH can work great. However, if you are in a part of the country where your cold water is 50, 40, or even colder, the flow rate of a standard tankless system can be an issue and you probably will need a higher BTU (more expensive) unit.

Kurt

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are electric tankless water heaters, but of course you would need 220/240 volt electric service.

Kurt
Mm.. I just checked it out and yes there are electric models. I will check with our in house engineer who is also our HOA president as to whether it is a technical issue or not. The plumber told us it could not be done.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mm.. I just checked it out and yes there are electric models. I will check with our in house engineer who is also our HOA president as to why it is a technical issue or not. The plumber told us it could not be done.
It might be an electrical service capacity issue. Some of those electric models can pull 150 Amps!

Kurt