TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice

Renting Your Week

Discussion in 'Hilton Grand Vacations Club / HGVC' started by WildCat45, Feb 14, 2018.

1. WildCat45

WildCat45 TUG Member

If you've been able to rent your week (or partial week), what have you been able to get per night for it? Please also post the location you rented out, the season, and the method you used (TUG, RedWeek, Craigslist, etc), and the year (this is so we can see what the most current rates are vs. rates a few years ago). I'm trying to figure out the cost-benefit ratio of renting out vs. converting to HH points, etc. when I can't use my weeks. Is there a "market rate" that you can expect for a platinum season rental (i.e., a rule of thumb that's similar to the $1/pt rate for a resale...maybe like $150-200/night for a platinum season rental)?

All help and insight is appreciated. Thank you!

2. Mosescan

Mosescan TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
    I’m curious about this myself but I suspect it’s going to be very location dependent. I’m sure I can get a lot more for my Craigendarroch lodge week than I can for my Vegas week. Likewise for Hawaii vs anywhere else.

My learning so far from the others here on TUG is that if you want to know what you can charge for rent then you need to see what others are charging for the exact same thing. Apples to apples as it were. Much like in the resale market people are going to take the units with the best price first and above a certain price they’ll just go straight to the resort to rent for peace of mind.

So I guess the short answer would be “that depends “

Location, season, competition, etc

WildCat45 likes this.
  3. 1Kflyerguy

1Kflyerguy TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Kings Land, Marriott Destination Club Points
    I would suggest you check the TUG marketplace or Redweek for rental listings of the resorts your interested. I am not sure there are really any hard and fast / generic rules you can apply to something as dynamic as rental rates. It will definitely vary by location, season and what is happening in the bigger marketplace. i.e. hotel rates, and the availability of VRBO, air bnb units, etc.

4. WildCat45

WildCat45 TUG Member

Yes, but the problem with checking the listings (which I've started to do) is that you can't see what has actually rented. That's why I want to hear from people who have actually done it to start to get a feel for what is possible.

5. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 14.4K Points.
    I set my rental price per point, that way season, size, etc is irrelevant. I encourage people to consider the cheaper point cost for weekdays vs weekends.

I am able to charge 25 cents a point and make a profit due to my low buy in cost and low maint fee per point cost. Here is the formula I developed.

Calculating point rental rates.
    (Annual Maint Fee + ((Purchase cost - Resale Value) / expected usage years)) / number of points= Your cost per point

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

WildCat45 likes this.
  6. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    Rather than a grab-bag of other rentals, how about posting your size, season & resort for more specific results?

I trust you know that renting "your week" means you must make "home week" reservation (unless you own a fixed week)
    ... only home-weeks are rentable... which means you may reserve a holiday week and thus, increase it's value.

-------------------------------------------------------
    You didn't ask, but rather than go thru the trouble, how about "saving" them for another year?
    ... After saving them, you can deposit them to the RCI program for another year.

7. WildCat45

WildCat45 TUG Member

Can I reserve outside of my home week through the club and let friends/family use the reservation?

8. Arimaas

Arimaas TUG Member

Guest reservations (which is any reservation where you are not present to check in) are allowed, but cost a $69 (?) fee. I'm not sure if you need to have the guest's information input at time of the reservation, or if you can amend the reservation later and turn it into a guest reservation.

9. Talent312

Resorts Owned:
    As WildCat says, friends+family can use any booking [except OS], but they need a GC.
    You're just not 'sposed use club bookings for rental, although reportedly some have.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  10. PigsDad

PigsDad TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club
    Well, not any booking -- Open Season bookings are for owners only (but you knew that ;)).

Kurt

11. Talent312

Resorts Owned:
    Slap me with a wet noodle.
    I knew it, but I ploughed right over it anyway.

GTLINZ and PigsDad like this.
  12. Gryphoak

Gryphoak Guest

If you have a floating week, eg. platinum season in ski resort, can you rent out any of the weeks if you make a home week reservation? You don't actually have to own that specific week?

13. GT75

GT75 Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC-x6
    In order to make a Home Week Reservation, you must own the season, unit type in that resort and you book it for 7-days (non-changeable reservation). So yes, even if it is floating week but you make a home week reservation.

14. Mosescan

Mosescan TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
    I think it also has to be between 12 and 9 months in advance as well. Otherwise if it is closer than 9 months it is a Club reservation and not a home week even if it meets all of the other criteria.

15. Talent312

Resorts Owned:
    Actually, you can make a HW reservation after the 9-month mark, but you don't get the exclusive hunting license that you do during the 12-9 month window. The Rules spell it out...

"After the Home Week Priority Reservation Window ends, Members will no longer have an exclusive window to book their Home Week, however, they may still make a Home Week reservation, subject to availability."
    -- In the Travel Section

IIRC, this clause is fairly new. A few years ago, a poster related an argument he'd had with the call center over this issue and they ultimately caved.

WildCat45 likes this.
  16. Cyberc

Cyberc TUG Member

I’ve not been able to rent my home week even though I tried. I own Vilamoura which is tough to get into but still no takers. Iirc I’ve listed it at both 0.20 and 0.25$ per point.

Problem is not bigger than I just canceled my home week and used the points for something else.

My DVC on the other hand, very easy to rent.

I think that you shouldn’t count on getting your home week rented out. If you can perfect but don’t count on it.

I’d talk to friends and family and ask them if they would be interested. To them you could book home or club season.

WildCat45 likes this.
  17. WildCat45

WildCat45 TUG Member

Good info...thanks. What venue do you use (Redweek, etc.)?

18. heisenberg815

heisenberg815 TUG Member

I own July 4 week at Ocean 22 in Myrtle Beach and get 24,000 points per year which equates to 2 three-bedroom oceanfront units and one 1 bedroom oceanfront unit per year. I rented two of the three last year and used the other. I didn't know the $0.20 - $0.25 rule of thumb but I was able to rent a three bedroom and a one bedroom for just under $0.22 per point each so that rule of thumb seems appropriate. I listed on VRBO.com so after fees I took home less than the $0.22 per point.

WildCat45 likes this.
  19. Cyberc

Cyberc TUG Member

I’ve listed here on tug and redweek.

TUGBrian and WildCat45 like this.
  20. jehb2

jehb2 TUG Member

So do you have to pay the $59 reservation fee or is it free since it is still considered a home week reservation?

21. Seagila

Seagila TUG Member

I've reserved my Home Week at less than 9 months from check-in a couple of times now and have not had to pay the Club Reservation Fee. I really appreciate having the benefit to book my Home Week at anytime during the use year as long as I find availability, specially given the increase in Club Reservation Fee (now $65 online, $80 by phone).

The question of booking your Home Week throughout the use year has been discussed before -

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/home-week.205180

Glad HGVC finally made the rule unambiguous in both letter and practice.

22. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

Has anyone had luck renting their unit through sites such as VRBO, HomeAway, or AirBnB?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018 at 4:02 PM
  23. jehb2

jehb2 TUG Member

Seriously!...Seriously!!! What, are computers people too. Are computers demanding equal pay for equal work.

24. Talent312

Resorts Owned:
    Hey, it takes talented, highly-paid IT geeks to load all those nifty resort pictures into the system, and cleverly design their webpages to look like they were put together by a 4-year old.

25. Tamaradarann

Tamaradarann TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I don't mind the pictures and webpages looking like they were put together by a 4 year old, they could be put together by no one for all I care. I just which they would test the system and let the owner/members test the system and fix it before they release it instead of making us struggle.