TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Renting your points for a Disney Cruise

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Club - DVC' started by icydog, Apr 12, 2018.

1. icydog

icydog TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

I ran across a website that will rent your points out and then use that money to get you on a Member Cruise. You won’t have to pay the $95 exchange fee and you can use non-developer, non-DVC, purchased points bought after March 1, 2011.

I’m not positive how they do it unless they us set you up with a member who books the cruise for cash in your name and their membership. But why would the owner do that? Are they paid $$.. I’m at a loss but maybe I’m missing something very obvious.

2. mj2vacation

mj2vacation Guest

I know David’s Rentals advertises that you can book cruises with the points that they rent on your behalf.

Essentially, they rent your points, you pay cash for the cruise.

Not sure how that ties into the Member Cruise.

https://www.dvcrequest.com/dvc-cruise.asp

3. Dean

Dean TUG Member

It's basically a rental in both directions. Just compare to renting and paying cash on your own, while I haven't compared, I suspect it's still cheaper just to rent out and book elsewhere for the cruise. You have more control and less aggravation overall.

4. icydog

My interest is solely the Member Cruise. That’s the only Disney cruise I care about. How can I rent my points to get on the Member Cruise if I bought post 2011? I don’t want to list the website but they used the term “cruise swap”

5. icydog

OH NEVER MIND.. THIS POINT SWAP IS NOT FOR THE MEMBER CRUISE! IT'S FOR ANY OTHER DISNEY CRUISE.:doh:I KNEW IT! I'M AN IDIOT!!

6. Dean

Dean TUG Member

Give yourself a break, we've all done something similar many times and will again. I didn't realize your goal was to get on the member cruise but assumed it was to use points to get a better value than through DVC directly. The only indirect way I know to get on a member cruise is to have someone who qualifies reserve for you. A qualifying member can reserve up to 4 cabins and I don't believe there's any restriction on who the cabins have to be for. Obviously entrusting such matters to a third party is difficult so I'd only want to do so where I was comfortable. I haven't been on a member cruise and I don't think I want to, Kool-aid drinkers would drive me crazy.

7. bendadin

bendadin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DVC BLT & AKV
    Wyndham WBC, Panama City Beach, Bay Club
    Grandview Las Vegas
    Can't you simply use cash for the Member's Cruise?

8. Dean

Dean TUG Member

Not unless you meet the qualification with qualified points

9. bendadin

bendadin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DVC BLT & AKV
    Grandview Las Vegas
    So would I need to have that number of direct/grandfathered points?

10. Dean

Dean TUG Member

Correct, you'd have to be grandfathered for before the first set of changed. Basically if you can't use points for a cruise, you can't do the member cruise.

11. icydog

I bought 25 OKW points from Disney Vacation Club last year. If I remember correctly members may pay for the Member Cruise with cash. Since I own 25 Developer points would that allow me to pay for the Member Cruise with cash?

12. Dean

Dean TUG Member

Yes, as long as you have qualified points you can do the member cruise on cash.

13. icydog

That’s so cool. Thanks!!

14. Weimaraner

Weimaraner TUG Member

What are the advantages of going on a DVC member cruise other than mingling with fellow DVC owners? I went on a Disney Bahamas Cruise and hope to go again some day. I loved Castaway Cay.

15. Dean

Dean TUG Member

Sure.

16. icydog

The Member Cruises always have interesting speakers. They give out presents every night to every person in your cabin. The ships make two stops at Castaway Key. There are kids, but usually fewer of them, so that your kids will have the kids' clubs and counselors to themselves. It costs more than a regular Disney Cruise though.

Weimaraner likes this.
  17. icydog

Hi Dean, I was just going through my Alerts and found your post above. Thanks a lot for saying all that reassuring stuff. I really thought I had lost my mind. After all these years as a member, I am still flummoxed sometimes.

As far as the Kool-aid, it is fun comparing resorts, points (et al) with other members. There were the DVC trivia games, that I always won, but there are other things, non-Disney Vacation Club, as well.

18. Dean

Dean TUG Member

I'm sure there are things I'd enjoy but other things that'd drive me crazy. It's certainly not worth it to me to pay more, esp when I don't see Disney in general as worth more than other comparable cruise lines. We're taking the family with grandkids in 2019 and we'll likely do it in a few more years as the younger ones are older but I'm guessing that'll be it for DCL for us unless something changes.

19. bendadin

bendadin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DVC BLT & AKV
    Grandview Las Vegas
    I have a direct contract. Hmm.

20. Dean

Dean TUG Member

With direct points historically (not a minimum of 75 pts) one could pay cash for a member cruise. For non member cruises or to use points at all, one would have to pay one adult on points in total.

21. elaine

elaine TUG Member

Yes for paying cash for members cruise with small direct points. Did it with 35 direct points. Members cruise has nice additional lecturers and entertainment such as lead broadway singers from Mary poppins and Tarzan sang songs including from upcoming Frozen play. Voice of goofy was MC for beach games. Disney engineeer for rollercoaster talked about early days at disnyland Disney animators went thru how an animated movie is done etc. We loved it. Didn’t really care about the gifts. Didn’t really mingle with anyone and talk about dvc on the cruise.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Weimaraner likes this.