TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Renting Wyndham Out

Discussion in 'Wyndham Vacation Resorts' started by skotm, Jul 12, 2018.

1. skotm

skotm TUG Member

Question. If I decide to go with Wyndham and cant use all my points/want to pay MF's etc...
    Can I only rent out my home resort? Or can I rent any resort? I saw some messages on the rental forums and want to make sure.

Thank you for helping me to my Due Diligence.

2. Richelle

Richelle TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham National Harbor
    Wyndham Branson at the Meadows
    Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
    Williamsburg Plantation
    Vacation Villages at Parkway
    Yes. You can rent it any resort your points are allowed to book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Richelle

Richelle TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham National Harbor
    Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
    Williamsburg Plantation
    You will need to issue a guest certificate to whoever is actually going to physically be there to check in. If they need to change the name on the guest cert, it will cost you a another GC so make sure they know it will cost them $129 to change the name, because that’s what a guest cert cost.

4. vacationhopeful

vacationhopeful TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ft Lauderdale Beach, Wyndham Santa Barbara, Wyndham Royal Vista, Wyndham Sea Gardens, Wyndham Shawnee (Poconos)
    AND no overlapping reservations for EVEN 1 night without a Guest Certificate on ALL but one reservation. NOT via resort bookings but under your MEMBER NUMBER.

5. Jan M.

Jan M. TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
    RCI Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach
    Guest certificates online only cost $99 but are $129 if you call in to add the guest if you don't have any free ones.

6. skotm

skotm TUG Member

Again thank you all --!! great community

7. tschwa2

tschwa2 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    You can not rent out what you book through Club Pass (worldmark) or RCI. You can only rent out what you book directly through Wyndham.

skotrla and skotm like this.
  8. James Pegram

James Pegram Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Cottages at Ocean Blvd
    Wyndham Seawatch
    Linda, just curious, do you mean overlapping reservations at multiple resorts? I make multiple room reservations at the same resort for the same time all the time.

9. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Wyndham, Bluegreen, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
    Wyndham's new rules (effective May 2017) state that overlapping reservations must have another owner's name or a guest certificate. If not, reservations may be canceled.

10. James Pegram

James Pegram Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Seawatch
    Ahh ok, that makes sense.

11. vacationhopeful

vacationhopeful TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ft Lauderdale Beach, Wyndham Santa Barbara, Wyndham Royal Vista, Wyndham Sea Gardens, Wyndham Shawnee (Poconos)
    And it applies to reservations at same or different resorts if it overlaps ... held in the same name .. both gets cancelled .. with a LOST of ALL points used to book those reservations at or inside the 14 days before checkin.

12. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Wyndham, Bluegreen, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
    I can't agree that it "make sense" but that's the new rule. I liked it better the old way.

Fortunately I have my adult children on a contract... added them a few years ago (when the transfer fee was only about $100) since they occasionally travel without me.

13. James Pegram

James Pegram Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Seawatch
    I guess that's to try and curtail those trying to make a business out of the secondary market. Good to know, thanks.

14. antjmar

antjmar Guest

Do you or anyone else know if this applies to ARP reservations? I thought the rule previously wasn't applicable if you had used ARP points for the reservations but I cant seem to find it written anywhere.
    Thanks

sjdanb likes this.
  15. ronparise

ronparise TUG Member

As you say, in the past the 10 nightly limit rules didn’t apply to arp reservations. The theory was that these are units you own. You are not using the exchange benefits provided by the club

To elaborate; the club is at its heart is an exchange club. You use points that come from a deeded ownership at one resort for a reservation at another resort. When you stay at your own property you are not exchanging; you are not going through the club. So club rules don’t apply, and you can have as many reservations as your ownership supports

But as has been said, there are new rules now designed to curtail the mega renters. For all I know they may have abandoned the idea that ownership is sacred in an effort to make it even more difficult to make money renting

Having said all that, you can test it. Make 10 arp reservations and see if the system allows #11

There are other things that Wyndham has done to make life difficult for renters. Now if you have overlapping reservations you have to add a guests name within 48 hours. So if you make multiple reservations and don’t have renters lined up you have to add a dummy guests. And then when you do have a guest for a reservation you change the name... $99 each time after you have used your allotment of “free” guest confirms

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    sjdanb and antjmar like this.
  16. antjmar

antjmar Guest

Thank you for the informative reply (as usual).
    I dont have enough ARP points to make 10 ARP reservation I reserved 2 (different names and different resorts) with my ARP I guess I can try at 10 months to see if it allows a 3rd for the same dates but I dont want to lose the points.

17. HitchHiker71

HitchHiker71 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Outer Banks Beach Club I
    Colonies at Williamsburg
    WCA VIP Gold (718k EY)
    I would love to get some specifics/advice on how to best rent out Wyndham points to cover MFs. It seems several folks on here are doing this on a regular basis with varying amounts of success. Some say that are covering ALL MFs using a portion of their annualized points, others not so much. For those of you who ARE covering your MFs in entirety or even in part, are you willing to share your methods?

sjdanb and James Pegram like this.
  18. am1

am1 TUG Member

They would be best not to. This led to the downfall before and Wyndham changing the rules. Hard work, trial and error and luck is a good method. Gold is good but you are competing with platinums. Your costs will always be higher. Not suggesting you go out and but more retail points.

sjdanb likes this.
  19. ronparise

ronparise TUG Member

That’s not really true.

Renting is still allowed, or at least tolerated when done on a modest scale.

When Wyndham came after us they hung their hat on two things. The personal use provision that says commercial use is prohibited; and the no unfair advantage clause

So in my case with 90 million points in reservations it was hard to argue that my accounts were for personal use. And although I argued that cancel/rebook/upgrade did not take anything away from other owners and did not make it easier to make a reservationahead of any other owner, As you know, wyndham disagreed

In my opinion, based on my own experience and conversations others in similar situations as us and with wyndhams legal dept. I’m pretty sure that if you do just a few reservations in a small account and don’t break any rules, wyndham will leave you alone

I would define small account as something under 5 million points

So then the question becomes: can you make enough reservations with a portion of your points to pay the maintenance fees on all your points, leaving you with some free vacations

In my opinion to make enough to cover your fees and get free vacations for yourself you need to make high value reservations, 10 to 13 months in advance. My favorite example is Mardi Gras at Avenue Plaza. A studio week there is 126000 points. They sleep 4 and I rented them for $1500

Do ten of these (1,260,000 points) to generate $15000 and you will have enough to pay mf on 2,500,000 points

The thing is that there are not many reservations as cheap as these that can be rented for as much

Good luck to hitchhiker

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    sjdanb and HitchHiker71 like this.
  20. ronparise

ronparise TUG Member

As 3 is less than 10 you should be fine

HitchHiker71 likes this.
  21. Richelle

Richelle TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham National Harbor
    Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
    Williamsburg Plantation
    Yes, but charge $129. If someone needs a last minute change and you cannot do it online for some reason (site down, no internet access), it will cost you $129. If they decide they want to make it cheaper after the fact, because it can be done online, that’s up to them. Always tell them it will be $129 in the event you end up having to pay the extra $30. Plus, the higher it goes, the less likely they are to make a name change and cost you another GC. If you are only allowed two and they make a name change, that’s one less you have for yourself. I don’t think they will allow you to buy one if you already have one. So if you need one for yourself later, it will cost you $99 or $129.

sjdanb, HitchHiker71 and Jan M. like this.