• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

renting Marriott properties

tiger1210

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to determine when people advertise their Marriott property, say Ko Olina can I verify if they actually have a reservation. I was almost scammed a couple of years ago and it was hard to verify information from Marriott. I have read the thread concerning if a reservation is legit, but I want to have something more if anyone can help. I know that to rent a place at Ko Olina they have to be an owner of a week or have some points. But, I want to verify if they are who they say they are. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can follow the advice that Denise provided, but ultimately your best bet may be to rent directly from Marriott so that scamming will never be an issue.

Yes, you will pay a little more, but you will sleep better at night knowing you have a legitimate reservation to check in to.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can follow the advice that Denise provided, but ultimately your best bet may be to rent directly from Marriott so that scamming will never be an issue.

Yes, you will pay a little more, but you will sleep better at night knowing you have a legitimate reservation to check in to.

You pay a lot more in many cases. I'm not sure why people say it's hard to verify with Marriott, it shouldn't be if the owner gives you his name and reservation number. That is all you should really need. I tell my guests to call 800-845-4226 option 5 which is the Marriott Vacation Club's Customer Service and they will gladly confirm that Mr. So So is the owner and the reservation is valid. Before I have them call I will have already put the reservation in their name so they can also confirm they are on the reservation. It can't get any easier.

Now of course a fraudulent owner can take your name off and rent to 100 people if he wanted to so if you're that concerned about being ripped off then by all means pay a huge premium for that peace of mind but if you perform the most basic of due diligence I think it is quite easy to confirm you're dealing with a honest person and save yourself a significant amount of money.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You pay a lot more in many cases. I'm not sure why people say it's hard to verify with Marriott, it shouldn't be if the owner gives you his name and reservation number. That is all you should really need. I tell my guests to call 800-845-4226 option 5 which is the Marriott Vacation Club's Customer Service and they will gladly confirm that Mr. So So is the owner and the reservation is valid. Before I have them call I will have already put the reservation in their name so they can also confirm they are on the reservation. It can't get any easier.

Now of course a fraudulent owner can take your name off and rent to 100 people if he wanted to so if you're that concerned about being ripped off then by all means pay a huge premium for that peace of mind but if you perform the most basic of due diligence I think it is quite easy to confirm you're dealing with a honest person and save yourself a significant amount of money.
Do you keep your name on the reservation as well?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you keep your name on the reservation as well?
No I don't. Marriott used to insist that your name stay on it but they've recently changed that and now ask whether or not the owner is also staying in the unit and if not they remove the owners name entirely. Of course the owner never relinquishes control so it doesn't really matter.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No I don't. Marriott used to insist that your name stay on it but they've recently changed that and now ask whether or not the owner is also staying in the unit and if not they remove the owners name entirely. Of course the owner never relinquishes control so it doesn't really matter.
Thank you. I have never rented out my weeks and contemplating doing so for 2 of my weeks for next year.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
Having rented my units and having rented units from an owner many times, it is important to me to speak to the person. You get a good sense of who they are and they of you. I pay by check and I ask for a check. Sending a check I get an address and getting a check usually has a name and address on it. Knowing a combination of name and email address or address allows you to find out a fair amount of free common information on most people in less than 5 minutes. Information that while not very detailed tends to be informative.

I will add a name on my reservation but will keep my name on it. More times than not, i will,get the nights credit if the renter doesn’t add their MR number.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
You will pay much more directly from the resorts in prime time.

When I look for a vacation that is definitely a way I search price and if it is close direct rent would be the trouble free option.

Most the time this is not the case, you could save hundreds to thousands NOT going direct.

Example would be last year I had a 9 night 2 bedroom Orlando reservation that had Christmas and New Years in one reservation. Our resort rents directly and will be sold out, this reservation would have cost $4,850.00 directly, we all know that you will save a lot of money from tug or Redweek.

Very few times do we ever see someone getting scammed from tug or Redweek do to paid membership and our info collected , happens more likely on sights like Craigslist.

If you cross someone here you will be tarred and feathered!
Your name will be mud, and non of us want this to happen.