• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2016] Renting getaway weeks through U R Exchange [RCI Rental scam]

glenheather

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got a call from Sarah at U R (Universal Resort) Exchange asking us to rent our RCI getaway weeks. We could rent up to 4 weeks. It would take 60-90 days to process. We would get $1500/week. Apparently this company has been in business for 10 years or so. Sarah has been working there for 4 years.

But first we would have to activate each week by paying an exchange fee to RCI ($198) and then transfer the week to U R Exchange, paying the guest fee of $100. So it would cost us $300/week.
We called RCI and they didn't know anything about it.

Does anybody have experience with this? Is it legit or is it a scam?

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is a common scam - they are going to charge you an upfront fee and disappear with your money.

RCI does not permit you to rent ANY of their products including exchanges and Getaways.

Guest Certificates are only permitted for guests - not for renters.

*Now that you have talked to them, you have been identified as a potential mark, and you are likely to get lots more calls from scammers. Don't talk to them - don't answer the phone: use your caller ID, and if you don't recognize the name, don't answer the phone. A legitimate caller will leave a message.

Last edited:

Jedi502

Reaction score
RCI called about RENTING getaways

RCI just called me telling me i have getta ways about to expire and I rent them with them if I join their rental program. I have to pay a fee of course of $2,499 per year and they pay $2100 per week. Feels like a scam anyone else here of this.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI just called me telling me i have getta ways about to expire and I rent them with them if I join their rental program. I have to pay a fee of course of $2,499 per year and they pay $2100 per week. Feels like a scam anyone else here of this.

Except it wasn't really RCI.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

It's not RCI - it's a scammer posing as RCI. They just want to steal your money. Don't communicate with them again - don't give them any info.

Jedi502

Reaction score
a good scam at that

It's not RCI - it's a scammer posing as RCI. They just want to steal your money. Don't communicate with them again - don't give them any info.

So I called the guy back from a blocked phone and they are good. The first operator is computer generated and then they mimic the hold music from Wyndham. Finally a live person answers "corporate office how may I help you". Very vanilla and fraudulent.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I called the guy back from a blocked phone and they are good. The first operator is computer generated and then they mimic the hold music from Wyndham. Finally a live person answers "corporate office how may I help you". Very vanilla and fraudulent.

That's hilarious!

Promoter1

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange Lake, Sands Beach Club, Grand Luxxe
This is still going on. I got a call about selling the RCI Getaway Vacations. Said they could rent them for $1,600 a week for the 4 I have. However, I needed to pay the $399 fee for each week first, then I would get the approximate $1,200 remaining for each week.

Reaction score
If RCI is not involved in the scam, why wouldn't they pursue the scammers for damages? It is the same company and people every time. RCI is involved in this or they would not have all of our account information from RCI.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
RCI is involved in this or they would not have all of our account information from RCI.
RCI corporate? Or one of their many employees (or contract workers) who have access to account information in the course of their work? Scammers pay for lists, and then they get passed around to other scammers.

If RCI is not involved in the scam, why wouldn't they pursue the scammers for damages?
It's whack-a-mole.

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I am amazed that this scam, using the same “business model”, is still around after all these years. It is still around because people keep sending them money hoping for a big payday that never comes.

Unfortunately, this crime is not a priority and I doubt any regulatory agency ever investigates. Low risk, high reward for the scammers.