• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

renting DVC points ressie gone wrong

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I am sorry about your dog. That is terrible. We just lost our cat after 17 years of loving him. His brother (same litter) is still mourning the loss of our little gray tabby. It's devastating to lose a pet.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Although he paid you back, John Molesi is still a scammer that people need to be wary of. Took over a year to get your money and probably only paid because of the lawsuit. That isn’t even considering the reservation he never made for you leaving you scrambling for alternative accommodations.
As the Klingons say: "He has no honor!"

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your baby dog. Happy to hear you got your money back.

Good for you for going after him. I bet many/others do not. He had no chance.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Been following this from the start. So glad it worked out for you. You have been more than fair with the owner and deserve more than what you got back. So sorry to hear about your dog. Losing a pet is a very difficult thing.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
I was so happy to read you got your money back, and yet so sad to hear about your dog.

The lesson from this whole thread: ALWAYS have a rental agreement in place - even if you have previously rented from the same person. That doesn't prevent all bad outcomes, but it may have made someone like John Molesi come to his senses sooner.

klynn, you are a hero in my book. Keep fighting the good fight, and give your dog a belly rub for me.

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question about any future rentals. With a rental contract, how can I be sure the DVC member will be in good standing with DVC? Even if the reservation is made, if the owner falls behind in their payments, won't Disney cancel the reservation?

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the concern for my little Sugar. In addition to her congestive failure, she is also dealing with either a tumor or obstruction in the upper part of her stomach. She is back at the vet's today for further testing as she declined rapidly this weekend.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Thanks for the concern for my little Sugar. In addition to her congestive failure, she is also dealing with either a tumor or obstruction in the upper part of her stomach. She is back at the vet's today for further testing as she declined rapidly this weekend.
Prayers sent your way. Please keep us updated.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question about any future rentals. With a rental contract, how can I be sure the DVC member will be in good standing with DVC? Even if the reservation is made, if the owner falls behind in their payments, won't Disney cancel the reservation?

There is no way to guarantee this. Even the big two rental brokers have this problem. (I'm sure not often) If/when this occurs, I know at least one of the big brokers with go after the owner for big time damages.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
I can't speak in terms of Disney, but under any timeshare system an owner can try to back out of a deal. For instance, a Marriott owner can give you a confirmation number with your name on the reservation. If he decides to call Marriott and remove your name at the last minute, he can. With a rental agreement in place, a small claims suit is much easier to win.
In the case of Disney, I guess a good agreement would include a statement that the owner is in good standing with DVC and will remain as such through the rental period.

In my opinion, if you are renting, a rental escrow is the most screw-proof way to go. The owner doesn't get paid until the renter completes their stay. No way would someone like John Molesi agree to this. It costs a good deal of $$, and honest owners hate them because it ties up their money. I used them the first couple of times I rented because I was so concerned about getting screwed over. If I encounter a first time renter who is nervous, I will offer the escrow route (if they pay for it) to help their peace of mind.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
One reason why building relationships between Renters and Rentees is important. I have a fairly stable, but limited in number, renters. They always call, I always book, they always call back.