• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental value of HGVC?

TDub1313

Reaction score
Just as a rough idea...
It seems HGVC isn’t at the top of the list for renting out points, for several reasons. But... is there a a general point at which HGVC owners rent to family and friends if they have excess points? If I had more points than I could use/save (and/or couldn’t go along with, to treat) and I had a taker, what would be a reasonable request for a cash fee? Is it worth buying a new contract to have a few thousand extra points to try to recoup some/all of MF buy renting to those who are close to me and not gouging? Somewhere in the the range of MF/PP? Such as $.17-.20 per point? Am I way off base here? I would appreciate the feedback on general guidelines. It seems the Wyndham folds are big on this, but is seems less so with HGVC. Or is there an open marker that I’m not aware of that will bring more. Thoughts?
Thanks.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I think you are a little low on cost, I shoot for .25 a point and I’m still cheaper than what hilton dot com rents for.

That covers my maint fee, club fee, reservation fee, guest certificate fee and amortized upfront costs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
I seem to recall that HGVC has blocked those that are attempting to use Airbnb to rent their units out.

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
I seem to recall that HGVC has blocked those that are attempting to use Airbnb to rent their units out.
The OP said that this would be just a "friends and family" transaction, so Airbnb wouldn't be needed.

what would be a reasonable request for a cash fee?

You might want to compare your requested rental fee to the open market. Your friends/family won't be happy if they later find out you are charging more than an arms length transaction.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Anyone have a thread on that? I've considered using airbnb to pick up an odd HGVC night I've needed, but don't want to do that if it's going to get cancelled...

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually rent at my cost and explain about the reservation cost and name change cost. With those included, I have rented studios at $65 per night in Las Vegas and $95 per night at Lagoon tower in Hawaii. My cost would have been cheaper if I had bought 7000 points with the same maintenance fee, but most people are happy to get a nice room at a low price. I never try to make money off friends or family. At the end of the day, most people are impressed that I own a timeshare with cost so cheap.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Personally, I would never try to profit on "renting" to friends and family. I have just figured out my costs (MFs + fees) and offered it to them at that price. But that is just me.

Kurt

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Personally, I would never try to profit on "renting" to friends and family. I have just figured out my costs (MFs + fees) and offered it to them at that price. But that is just me.

Kurt

I have not rented to friends and family. I have reserved accommodations for family to come and join us for a spectacular 3 Bedroom Condo in the Lagoon Tower. I have rented to none friends and family for what I considered a good rate for a special event in South Beach when I had surplus points before being retired. Since being retired we vacation about 150 days a year so I usually don't have any surplus points to rent to anyone. I don't know what I would do if I did have surplus, but I think I agree with others that I wouldn't charge anymore than my costs or if it was close family just give them the week.

TDub1313

Reaction score
I certainly don’t intend to make a profit off of family or friends. It seems the general rule is at “my cost.” MF/PP+booking fees wouldn’t be unreasonable. Has anyone bought extra low cost points to use what you can and “rent” to cover costs. The idea being to “rent” out points now but have more personal use out of them in the early retirement years? Or is that far fetched?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I certainly don’t intend to make a profit off of family or friends. It seems the general rule is at “my cost.” MF/PP+booking fees wouldn’t be unreasonable. Has anyone bought extra low cost points to use what you can and “rent” to cover costs. The idea being to “rent” out points now but have more personal use out of them in the early retirement years? Or is that far fetched?
According to the HGVC rules, an owner can only rent out their Home Week reservations, so if you owned at a popular place that might work.

Kurt

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

The rental to none friends that I mentioned above was an example of the situation that you describe. We bought more timeshares in the last 3 years before we retired with more points than we could use while still working. We did save some of the points to build up a bank. Since it was a special event time period in South Beach we rented at about $300/night for a 1 BR apartment when small hotel rooms were going for over $300/night.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I certainly don’t intend to make a profit off of family or friends. It seems the general rule is at “my cost.”

When it comes to renting points, the definition of "friends" can be far-reaching. Some "friends" would definitely be at-cost. Others, maybe not :)

In that case, I think the rate would be location-dependent.

Cheers.

TDub1313

Reaction score
I did not realize this was the case. Home week only... is this something that they enforce such as they won’t issues a guest certificate if it is outside of home week? I’m not asking to try to beat the system just want to know before we seriously consider another contract....

“According to the HGVC rules, an owner can only rent out their Home Week reservations, so if you owned at a popular place that might work.”

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think there would be much value in renting out your home week if it was in Vegas. Another way to use up your excess points is to use them to pay your MF's. I think that option is worth around $0.10 per point but not completely sure of my information.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I dont think the rule is enforced, why should HGV care they are getting their fees and have no problem renting themselves.

You can get guest certs for club reservations. There are point rental ads all over the internet. Look at eBay.

I think you can only use bonus points to pay maint fees.

I dont know why people are adverse to a reasonable profit for taking a risk renting to friends and family, how often do they back out at the last minute and leave you stuck?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont know why people are adverse to a reasonable profit for taking a risk renting to friends and family, how often do they back out at the last minute and leave you stuck?

For actual family, I would not rent. I would give. We take them with us, though, rather than making reservations. One time we did a bigger trip with some family and friends of theirs that we also know. Family got the rooms free. Their friends got the rooms for what it would have cost to rent from Hilton (and they saved the resort fees).

Other "friends," well, that's a different story...

Cheers.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not realize this was the case. Home week only... is this something that they enforce such as they won’t issues a guest certificate if it is outside of home week? I’m not asking to try to beat the system just want to know before we seriously consider another contract....

“According to the HGVC rules, an owner can only rent out their Home Week reservations, so if you owned at a popular place that might work.”

According to the Rules (you can download the PDF from the HGV website), renting your homeweek is the only "approved" option. You can get a Guest Certificate for anyone.

Now, whether you rent out a points week (non-home week) is a different story. Can you? Yes. But it's against the rules. although I'm not aware of anyone getting shutdown by Hilton for doing so.

I have been reimbursed by family when using my points (my cost of the points on a MF/point basis, plus the booking/Guest cert fees). It still provides them a very cheap (comparatively) stay.

If one were to rent out to non-family, the only way you're going to probably break even or "make" some money is with a high-demand place (Hawaii-Honolulu) or timeframe (ie: Christmas, spring break, etc.). You could go onto redweek.com and look at the rental ask prices for various Hilton locations to get a guesstimate of what will rent for what (just because it's asked doesn't mean it was received, LOL).

I don't think Vegas is a good option for renting for profit, unless possibly you can get an Event week. Although if you were to have to break even, it's better than losing your points, but typically you have plenty of options with that (save them into next year, or deposit into RCI, etc.)

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've heard that Wyndam has a problem with a few Airbnb operators using their system as a business with the result that inventory that would normally be available to the members is taken up by renters through Airbnb. Thankfully HGVC seems to have thwarted this so far.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I dont think the rule is enforced, why should HGV care they are getting their fees and have no problem renting themselves.

You can get guest certs for club reservations. There are point rental ads all over the internet. Look at eBay.

I understand your comment about friends and family; "they back out at the last minute and leave you stuck". That's why we insist on knowing they bought the plane tickets for the timeframe of the reservation before we book a plane oriented vacation for them. For driving ones we would be stuck. Of course with the HGVC system you can move the reservation to a future date and save the points so you would only be out the relatively small reservation fee.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here is an real world example of my .25 a point fee:

A “friend” asked about a 2br at Seaworld this week, 26-29th.

Using points is 2800 x .25 = $700
Open Season is $650, not allowed for “friends”
Hilton dot com, best I could find was a 1br at $256/night = $768

So I’m sticking to my original answer, .25/point. Some will make a little at this rate, others break even or lose a little depending on your maint fee per point ratio.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

This topic leans towards people acquiring timeshares to then rent out through Airbnb. This has happened at Wyndam and available inventory is snapped up by the rent-for-profit operators. This can make it much more difficult for legitimate owners to compete for the holiday accommodation that they signed up for. I am sure the Airbnb type of operators will continue to try, but I sure hope HGVC has the ability to continue to shut them down. I for one will report any Airbnb renters that I detect in an HGVC

4Sunsets

Reaction score
Just as a rough idea...
It seems HGVC isn’t at the top of the list for renting out points, for several reasons. But... is there a a general point at which HGVC owners rent to family and friends if they have excess points? If I had more points than I could use/save (and/or couldn’t go along with, to treat) and I had a taker, what would be a reasonable request for a cash fee? Is it worth buying a new contract to have a few thousand extra points to try to recoup some/all of MF buy renting to those who are close to me and not gouging? Somewhere in the the range of MF/PP? Such as $.17-.20 per point? Am I way off base here? I would appreciate the feedback on general guidelines. It seems the Wyndham folds are big on this, but is seems less so with HGVC. Or is there an open marker that I’m not aware of that will bring more. Thoughts?
Thanks.

Buying extra because you think family might use can go sideways fast. Unfortunately, you may end up on the losing end more often than you think when family cancels on you and you get stuck with a reservation you can't use. Family also tends to think they don't have to pay you / you are overcharging them / whatever. If family wants weeks, better to steer them to resale weeks for themselves, at least imho. that way they are entirely responsible for the costs and fees and you dont have to worry about it.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Buying extra because you think family might use can go sideways fast. Unfortunately, you may end up on the losing end more often than you think when family cancels on you and you get stuck with a reservation you can't use. Family also tends to think they don't have to pay you / you are overcharging them / whatever. If family wants weeks, better to steer them to resale weeks for themselves, at least imho. that way they are entirely responsible for the costs and fees and you dont have to worry about it.

I agree with NOT purchasing a property because you think family MIGHT use them! If this is a close part of your family that you have or have jointly planned on having vacation with you in the future then getting the extra points may be a good idea, if you can you use the points for vacations in the future if plans fall through with these family members?

We have used points to vacation with our Daughter, Son-in-law and Grandchildren for many years, however, the Grandchildren are at the College entering stages of their lives and no longer take those vacations with school being their primary focus in life.
We are using those points to extend our winters in Honolulu until sometime in spring.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with NOT purchasing a property because you think family MIGHT use them! If this is a close part of your family that you have or have jointly planned on having vacation with you in the future then getting the extra points may be a good idea, if you can you use the points for vacations in the future if plans fall through with these family members?

We have used points to vacation with our Daughter, Son-in-law and Grandchildren for many years, however, the

We don't have any kids (so gradnkids are unlikely), but I have a brother with family and mrs. brp has 4 brothers. These are the people we take with us on trips (Disnye-DVC, Hawaii, NYC, Orlando-HGVC). They are our guests and pay nothing. And they closest they've come to backing out was the time I booked a 2BR at Kohala in anticipation of a trip with them. They never committed in the first place, and couldn't make it. So, speculation on my part :)

They're not the backout type, in general, and they will never pay for a point.

We've also brought some close friends with the same rules - they pay nothing for the accommodations. They are our guests.

We also have a "friend" or two that are different :)

Cheers.