• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental Cars in Nevada

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Recently we rented a car from Alamo in Vegas. The salesman at the counter gave me a really hard sell that any damages would be billed directly to the credit card and not handled by insurance because "this is Nevada.' When I said that we have primary coverage through our credit card, he said, "we don't take insurance anymore."

I ignored him and declined their extortion price of $26/day insurance, but he had me wondering if I had gotten in an accident, would we be covered by the primary insurance on our chase reserve credit card (which would be the same card they would bill.)

Any thoughts on this? or is this just the latest sales gimmick to convince us to buy insurance we don't need?

Not a gimmick . . . not just Vegas . . . and NOT FUN!

We had a very minor bump with our rental car in Scotland back in March. We waived the rental company's coverage because we do have excellent coverage with our credit card AND we had coverage via our travel insurance policy as well. We immediately reported our bump on the back end and they told us to continue on with our rental (we had about 10 more days).

When we returned it, they deducted the full amount of the estimated damages (just under $700) . . . and we were left to handle it with VISA's carrier. They were very helpful on the front end . . . but!

They would not pay based on what we were charged when we returned the car on 3/30/18 . . . they are requiring the completed repair services invoice. So now we've been chasing Avis/Budget for about 6 weeks and to no avail regarding getting the actual repair bill for the damages incurred. Given it is in the UK that adds to the challenges . . . they told us we'd have the receipt as required, within 15 business days. Still nothing. So we've tried through the USA contact for Avis/Budget. They said they would get it resolved immediately . . . and here we are two more weeks later.

I am fearful we'll be SOL on this $700!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
What bank is the credit card issued? Do you have any recourse through that? It appears they are advertising a product that did not work.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Last year when we were on Maui, someone wacked my rental car. It apparently happened in a parking lot. No witnesses. I turned it in to my insurance company plus also worked with my VISA card company. My insurance deductible was $500. My insurance company paid for the amount above my deductible minus the "loss of use" and the "administrative fee". They said that they never cover those two items. So, they paid $14. Almost a joke. But, luckily, the VISA company (after numerous requests for an endless stream of documentation that I had to provide - - 32 pages in total) eventually coughed up the remainder, apparently including the loss of use and admin fee. So, I had no out-of-pocket. It sure took a lot of effort to get to that point though.

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
We just rented car from Thrifty on Las Vegas airport and declined insurance with no problem.