TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Rental Cars - Hawaii - PRICE DROP

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by daventrina, Aug 23, 2018.

1. daventrina

daventrina TUG Member

Finally ... Or Costco car reservation for our JEEP Wrangler on the Big Island in October for 21 day finally had a price reduction of $415 ... Yay :cheer:

If anyone is is/has been shopping for a Hawaii rental ... now might be a good time to check....

itr452 and WyndhamBarter like this.
  2. daventrina

daventrina TUG Member

Would folkd prefer Alamo or for an extra $110 Enterprise?

3. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    I think in Hawaii, either company is fine. I'd go with the cheaper one. The cars will be identical.

Dave

Luanne likes this.
  4. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

I would prefer Alamo, because you get to pick your car from a selection of choices in the class.

dioxide45 likes this.
  5. Egret1986

Egret1986 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Great savings!

Thanks for the reminder to check. :thumbup:

6. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    I would always go with Alamo, all things being equal. The kiosk at Alamo might save you hours over Enterprise.

dioxide45 and daventrina like this.
  7. daventrina

daventrina TUG Member

In this case doesn’t matter much ...
    JEEP Wrangler or JEEP Wrangler

8. itr452

itr452 Guest

sweet thanks for the headsup just checked and our minivan rental for HNL went down $40 for the week!

daventrina likes this.
  9. StevenTing

StevenTing TUG Member

Enterprise and Alamo are essentially the same company. Same with National. They are owned by the same parent company.

https://www.enterpriseholdings.com/en/index.html

10. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

And on another note Avis, Budget and Payless are owned by the same company (not the same company as Alamo). Once when we had a rental in Albuquerque with Budget, they didn't have the size car we needed, so the rep just moved over to the Avis desk and gave us one of their cars. :)

11. Luanne

Just got notification through AutoSlash today that they found a cheaper price for our rental on Maui in March. We originally had a mid-size SUV with Alamo for $804.00 for two weeks. Now it's $629.80, still with Alamo.

12. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

I have a big island two week rental in January that just went down by $250 yesterday. Might be worth a check for those with upcoming trips.

13. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    Our son and daughter-in-law just got a 2 week rental from Costco for $600, full-sized car at Alamo. This is for 2/23-3/9. I think it was a special sale.

14. Luanne

I'm seeing close to the same rate we got through AutoSlash and Priceline with Costco. Our rental is actually for 15 days, not two weeks. They are quoting $635.59 for a midsize SUV, our price is $629.80. Both with Alamo. Full size cars are more.

15. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

We got a 2 week rental on Oahu for a little over $300 in late September. I had a car booked for more and at the airport, I switched to a different company and the last minute price was lower. I did not switch due to price. The first company had terrible airport pickup service and we were waiting for the car rental bus for a long time so I looked up another company that had a lot of rental car buses passing us by and switched. I use the discount car rental links to book cars in Hawaii. The pricing is often a lot better than other options and it is all name brand rental car companies.

16. richardrose

richardrose TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Royal hawaiin

I preety well stick with alamo always happy with them and can usually, far enough out, find good deals.

17. cgeidl

cgeidl Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

We just rented a full size from the Phoenix airport for two weeks with a total cost under $300. Why Hawaii is so high seems ludicrous when few drive many miles with their rental. For our upcoming Feb trip for 17 days we will probably drive 3 or 4 hundred miles. Our present cost is around $700. Previously we have always gotten rentals under $200 per week.

18. Luanne

I would imagine prices are higher for rental cars as with everything else on Hawaii it's difficult to get it there. They probably have smaller fleets, and difficulty in replacing cars when they go out of service.

19. luvgoldns

luvgoldns TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
    THANK YOU ALL once again! I totally forgot about looking at Costco for rental cars. After more than 6 years, we're finally heading back to Maui for two weeks this spring. The price to rent a convertible from Avis (through Costco and the Avis site) is $2,409; Alamo through Costco is $721! Awesome!

20. slip

slip TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Pono Kai, 20 wks: Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
    I just checked mine yesterday and it went down $50 for my Maui trip. So we now have a full size SUV for $317 all in. Full size cars came down to $240 so that’s not too bad either. I’ll keep watch. I have this registered in AutoSlash but haven’t gotten any notices from them.

21. lockewong

lockewong TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, HGVC Sea World, Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
    I have a car through Hotwire for President's Week 2019 Maui. Maui often sells out that week and I have had to pay through the nose. Also, try Price line. Costco did not work for me last time.

slip likes this.
  22. slip

slip TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Pono Kai, 20 wks: Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
    Costco didn’t work for me either last time. I actually used RCI. They had the best price. I did try Priceline and they were about the same on a full sized car but more on the full sized SUV. We have friends with us this time and extra luggage for our condo so I need the larger vehicle. I’ll keep watching.