TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Rental Car on Maui

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by LA_Transplant, Nov 26, 2017.

1. LA_Transplant

LA_Transplant Guest

Resorts Owned:
    WKORVN
    I have traveled to Maui the first full week of March the last three years. Each of those years I was able to rent a convertible for $350-400 for my trip. As I have been attempting to reserve a vehicle this year, I am encountering quotes for over $1,000 to rent a comparable car. Is anyone aware of why the cost is so much more this year? Is Maui much busier this spring than last? Does anyone know have any sense if these prices will come down between now and March?

flindberg likes this.
  2. mauitraveler

mauitraveler TUG Member

We're going to Maui the last week of February and reserved a car earlier this year in June. Now the cost has doubled for what we booked back then. I have a feeling the prices will not decrease, but may even increase as you get closer to March, which is such a popular time for those who hope to see some whales! On which sites are you searching?

3. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I confirmed a reservation for a mid-size SUV on Maui for March 2018 for $539.31 for two weeks back in June. The prices I'm seeing currently are at least double that. I don't know why they are so high and I have no idea if they'll go down again.

I had always said the "sweet spot" for the car rentals was about 6 months out. That doesn't seem to be true time time around. I had also always said that they didn't go lower closer to the date. This year I found that to be untrue. I checked our reservation about two days before our trip (again Maui in March) and it dropped by about $60.

I would suggest booking the reservation, then using AutoSlash to monitor it. They will notify you if they find a cheaper rate. You can also use them to book your rental originally.

4. flindberg

flindberg TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Bali Hai
    Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
    It is possible that the destruction of several hurricanes in other areas has increased demand for Hawaii as it is a tropical, easy to navigate destinations for Americans... I know my St Johns xmas vaca got cancelled - that's why we're headed for Kauaii instead.

BagsArePacked and Chrispee like this.
  5. DianneL

DianneL TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I have a convertible reserved on Maui for one week, $266. Reserved about a year ago when I traded into Maui for an upcoming trip.

6. MOXJO7282

MOXJO7282 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Yes rental prices for Maui have certainly gone up. I secured us a luxury sedan for $750 for 2 weeks in August through Costco and I checked to see if pricing had come down and saw that they have gone up 30% it seems. I think I got a pretty good deal so I'm satisfied but was hoping it would come down alittle.

7. Stressy

Stressy TUG Member

Luanne, what are your dates? I'm doing 3/25 to 4/1 which is Maui schools spring break and I'm finding that if I check Costco regularly, I see price breaks. I have 3 reservations currently, ;) but I'll also agree I was VERY surprised by the pricing. This is going to be the most I've ever paid for car rental on any island. I just figured it was because of spring break, but it sounds like that isn't the case. I'll have to factor that in for any trip after this.

8. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    It has to be something to do with the dates. The rates I'm seeing for a convertible for the last week of February is over $800. For the first week of March it's over $600. The same car for the first week of April is $414. The second week of April it's $369. I have a convertible reserved on Maui in mid-May, for just under $350 for the week. So there is a sliding scale happening, for sure.

Dave

9. Luanne

We are there from March 5 through the 20th. We'll just miss you!

I can't remember if I posted, but we have an intermediate SUV for those dates that is $540 all in. I am feeling really good about that price right now.

10. LA_Transplant

LA_Transplant Guest

Resorts Owned:
    WKORVN
    Thanks for all the feedback.

After checking my reservations for the last three years, I always made them in January and was able to rent a convertible for between $350-425 for 9-10 days. It also seems as though prices have come down today because I reserved a convertible for a little over $600. I will keep looking and expect prices to go down in January again.

11. Stressy

Stressy TUG Member

Ohhh , you have that price for two weeks. I'd feel good about it too. I'll look forward to your pics ...will help me get excited knowing I'm next ;)

12. Luanne

Two weeks plus one day. :)

13. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    My intermediate suv in Maui was from Hawaiian discount car rental and was suppose to be a Chevy trax for $420.00 for two weeks. It ended up being a full sized , very nice, full sized dodge suv. We bought the bring it in empty option for $70.00 so all in with at least one tank of gas were at $490.00. It's big enough to haul about 7 or 8 people but I laid the back seats flat and thought we might go camping next week if the weather gets better.

Bill

14. Luanne

March of this year we had a rental for an intermediate SUV. We ended up getting a Mazda 9, which is no one's idea of an intermediate, it's the larget SUV Maxda makes. If this happens again I would immediately turn it back and ask for the smaller vehicle. It was overkill for tne two of us, took more gas, and was more difficult to manuver and park.

easyrider likes this.
  15. easyrider

Resorts Owned:
    I thought the same thing as I was looking for a parking spot but my wife and I are very skilled drivers and both drive suv's as daily drivers so it is not a problem. The last time we went to Waianapanapa we couldn't stay as long as we wanted. This big Dodge might be our new camper for a night or two so we can hang out depending on the weather.

Bill

16. Luanne

Both dh and I drive SUVs, so that wasn't the issue (even though I probably made it sound like it was). It was just more car than we needed.

easyrider likes this.
  17. bobpark56

bobpark56 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

I think it pays to reserve early. We have a Hertz May rental for a Jeep Compass for 18 days for $679. It can be done...if you do it early (say a year or so in advance).

18. Luanne

I usually book as soon as I have the flights booked. So a year, or more, wouldn't work for me.

19. bobpark56

bobpark56 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Why wouldn't it work? Take a guess as to your dates. One thing nice about (most) car rentals is that you can cancel for no fee. The worst that can happen is they they charge you the new going rates it you need to rebook your vehicle. But then you are no worse off than you would have been if you waited until your flights were booked.

20. Luanne

Well sure I could take a wild ass guess, but for instance for 2018 we ended up flying a day earlier than planned because of flight scheduling. Since I usually book a flight as soon as they are available, I'm fine with waiting until then to book the car. And since I've found the sweet spot for pricing to be about 6 months out, it works..................for me. If you do better booking more than a year out, great. How many times do you end up cancelling and re-booking?

21. Tucsonadventurer

Tucsonadventurer TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
    We need a mini van as we have my daughters family coming with all the baby equipment. For June in Maui it is 727 for 2 weeks.
    We use auto slash so it could change. Don't usually rent mini vans so can't compare.

22. easyrider

Resorts Owned:
    Occasionally I get our car through the rock or kids portals. A few years ago my best Hawaii rental car was through rock.

Another thing that comes to mind regarding mini van vrs suv is that this Dodge Journey I'm driving seats seven and has the setup for car seats. It also has a roof rack so if a person had some rope they could tie stuff to the roof rack.

Bill

Tucsonadventurer likes this.
  23. easyrider

Resorts Owned:
    I was using my smartphone and it seemed to have auto corrected RCI into rock and II into kids. :wall:

Bill

24. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    Check SFX Exchange > Travel for your car rental. I don't know if you have to be a member. The prices are very reasonable in comparison with every other site.

25. Stressy

Stressy TUG Member

Is what you see, what you get? In other words, it shows taxes and fees as zero in one place and then in another it says total including taxes and fees and it shows the same price. It wants you to pay upfront but the price is a lot lower than what I have booked. What has been your experience?