• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Relief from swollen feet and legs

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diltiazemis used to prevent chest pain (angina). It may help to increase your ability to exercise and decrease how often you may get angina attacks. Diltiazem is called a calcium channel blocker. It works by relaxing bloodvessels in the body and heart and lowers the heart rate. Blood can flow more easily and your heart works less hard to pump blood.

I've been taking this for several years, but forgot to take them along on the AZ vacation. As I also have two other Blood Pressure meds, I wasn't too concerned. I didn't expect to exert myself on this vacation.

The morning of the 5th day at Sedona, I awoke with no swollen feet and legs. I held my arms upward and said, "Thank you Lord". When we got home I related to my doctor and he said apparently it's time to stop taking that med.

Never had I realized most of the swelling was due to taking Diltiazem 420mg caps. I've been eating water pills like crazy and urinating way too often.

Just thought I'd spread the word.

I've 45 caps left of the prescription filled 03/27/2014. Can anyone make use of them?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I've 45 caps left of the prescription filled 03/27/2014. Can anyone make use of them?
Please dispose of these properly. Transferring them to someone else is dangerous and possibly illegal. You can contact you local police department on how to dispose of excess prescription medication. DO NOT FLUSH IT! That contaminates the water supply. Thank you!

Kurt

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sadly places like NYC advise putting it in the trash.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Be careful with this. I have experience with deep vein thrombosis (DVT). I was off work with legs elevated for 12 weeks- many more weeks on max doses of warfarin to keep my blood from clotting. Fortunately, now I just wear compression stockings when traveling and take full strength aspirin daily. Do whatever your doc tells you. A clot that travels to and lodges in your lungs or brain can do a lot more than wreck your day. It'll wreck your- and your loved one's lives. No kidding.

Take good care. Oh, and dispose of the leftover drugs properly. Ours- and many other- police stations have drop boxes for these things.

Jim

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
In Ontario (& possibly the rest of Canada) every pharmacy/drug store has a 'discard' prescriptions drop box. They take pills, creams, liquids & patches and dispose of them properly & safely with no charge. We don't even have to take them to the drug store where the prescription was filled. No questions are asked.

Check with your local drug store.

Please don't share any prescriptions.

~Diane

travs2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Prescriptions

Please, DO NOT share your prescriptions with anyone. This is very dangerous and could be fatal. And, as mentioned DO NOT flush them down the toilet. Take them to your pharmacist who will dispose of them safely.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree with all the above.

Offering prescribed cardiac med to others ? At a loss for words.

Please, never, ever, ever, ever share/offer medications to anyone.

You don't know what their medical status, allergies, current medications, potential for interactions or reactions are. You could kill or make someone seriously ill or disabled (or all three).

Only a licensed medical clinician (MD, NP, PA, DO) should recommend and prescribe medications.

I know that you mean well, but you could be "killing with kindness" here, literally.

Beagle, ANP.

-

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would think he is offering it to someone who has been prescribed the same medication and the same dosage and is currently taking it. I don't think he is saying hey try this

I take Restasis at a cost of over 70 a month after insurance. some of my friends get it for free or 5 a month I would gladly take theirs if they went off it.

one woman needed a salve that would cost her 950 as her insurance wouldn't cover it. her friend had the same prescription, at no cost for 6 months. she passed along a tube of it.

taffy19

Reaction score
When our last cat died, I had an almost brand new bottle of his prescription drug left and offered it to the Vet's office to donate to someone who could use it but it is against the law. I then offered it to our shelter and, even after taking only 1 pill out of the bottle, they didn't want it either.

I knew that we shouldn't throw drugs in the trash so we took it to our hazardous waste place where we bring our old batteries and paint to once or twice a year.

They used to take old drugs but no more and told us to put water in the pill bottle and put it in another container or several plastic bags around it that are tied up tightly and then throw it in the regular trash.

The worst thing we can do is throw it through the toilet as it will pollute our ocean so in the trash may be better.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
when i went back to the dr as i was still sick she took the antibiotic I had used some of and said she was going to pass it on to another patient.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
when i went back to the dr as i was still sick she took the antibiotic I had used some of and said she was going to pass it on to another patient.
If that happened to me, I would seriously consider never seeing that doctor again!

Think about this scenario: A customer buys a bottle of Tylenol from a store, opened it up, uses some, and then returns the remaining pills to the store. Would you buy a partially-used bottle of Tylenol if the store decided to put it back for sale? That is exactly the same thing that your doctor did. How did your doctor know the pills were not tampered with, accidentally or intentionally?

I am just amazed (frightened, actually) that this doctor did such a thing.

Kurt

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
she was probably passing them to a patient who wasn't able to afford them. I have some issues with her, but she found my thyroid cancer, after three dr. including my oncologist, ignored what I told them, including the fact that two close family members were just diagnosed with it, and lo and behold I was third stage, already extended into the neck area. so she is a dr who listens to her patients, and that is why she has so many.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, after you ingest a medicine, the remains of it that your body doesn't incorporate ends up going down the toilet anyway.

Read here: http://www.alternet.org/story/43242/how_prescription_drugs_are_poisoning_our_waters/ I tried to copy/paste an excerpt, but it didn't seem to be allowed.

I'm certainly not saying you should simply flush excess meds when proper disposal is available, but water pollution by prescription drugs isn't just your fault.

Jim

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diltiazemis used to prevent chest pain (angina).
There are different formulas of Diliazem (brand name: Cardazem). Twenty years ago I was on one that as causing chest pains. It gave me quite a scare. Since I had just started them I looked up the side effects and found chest pains listed. When I went off of them the pains stopped. I've been on a different formulation for the past 13 years with no pains.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diltiazemis used to prevent chest pain (angina). It may help to increase your ability to exercise and decrease how often you may get angina attacks. Diltiazem is called a calcium channel blocker.

Months ago I stopped using Amlodipine, also a calcium channel blocker, and the swelling in my feet and ankles disappeared.

George

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In regard to disposal of medicines -- did some online research and here was the best idea I found. The primary idea is to be sure someone doesn't accidentally -- or intentionally -- ingest the meds. So -- I poured all the unused pills into a plastic cup. Cleaned the litter box in my usual manner -- which involves scooping the 'clumped' litter into a plastic bag. Then, dumped the bills into same plastic bag, tied a knot in it and placed in garbage. Done.