• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Refresher needed, credit card for paying Vistana MF

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Good choice -

This $450 annual fee card ends up costing almost nothing.
$450 Annual Fee
<$300> Annual Travel Credit - immediately credited back to you on your statement for Vistana Management Fees or any other travel related charge
<$95> Cancel SPG AmEx card - Annual Fee
______
$55 net annual cost
<$95> Cancel Chase Sapphire Preferred or any other card you currently have that gives less benefits
---------
$0 No additional cost for these great benefits offered by this card!!!!

To be fair, you really can’t assign other card annual fees to this one. I figure this card will cost $150/year. I’ll likely keep my Amex cards since they will now include a free hotel night, and that’s worth more than $95 to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good choice -

This $450 annual fee card ends up costing almost nothing.
$450 Annual Fee
<$300> Annual Travel Credit - immediately credited back to you on your statement for Vistana Management Fees or any other travel related charge
<$95> Cancel SPG AmEx card - Annual Fee
______
$55 net annual cost
<$95> Cancel Chase Sapphire Preferred or any other card you currently have that gives less benefits
---------
$0 No additional cost for these great benefits offered by this card!!!!
Are you gearing up for a timeshare salesperson position?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Any other way to get platinum elite? (75k on Amex Spg).

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Any other way to get platinum elite? (75k on Amex Spg).
Other ways: MVC ownership at Presidential or Chairman Club level. Stay 50 nights at Marriott/SPG/Ritz brand per year, 15 nights can come from credit card bonus. Vistana 5 star elite. Marriott Lifetime Gold this year gives you Lifetime Platinum next year. SPG Lifetime Platinum this year gets you Lifetime Platinum next year. 600 nights plus 10 years Platinum gives you Lifetime Platinum.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Other ways: MVC ownership at Presidential or Chairman Club level. Stay 50 nights at Marriott/SPG/Ritz brand per year, 15 nights can come from credit card bonus. Vistana 5 star elite. Marriott Lifetime Gold this year gives you Lifetime Platinum next year. SPG Lifetime Platinum this year gets you Lifetime Platinum next year. 600 nights plus 10 years Platinum gives you Lifetime Platinum.

Thanks, yeah, the hotel route is not going to happen; ditto for the MVC ownership (at least for now...)
Maybe with two credit cards (and combined programs) could probably work 50 nites (20 paid).

We typically book at non-commissionable rates. Could maybe review the wisdom of that.... Do Marriott timeshare stays count for the 50 nites counter?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Thanks, yeah, the hotel route is not going to happen; ditto for the MVC ownership (at least for now...)
Maybe with two credit cards (and combined programs) could probably work 50 nites (20 paid).

We typically book at non-commissionable rates. Could maybe review the wisdom of that.... Do Marriott timeshare stays count for the 50 nites counter?

You can't get 30 nights via two credit cards. The 15-night credit card bonuses are not stackable regardless of the number of Marriott/SPG cards you have. Maximum is 15 nights.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Since the program merger won't be implemented till Aug 18, I think it means the starpts earned from my next Amex billing period will transfer to Marriott at higher 3 MRP/starpt conversion rate instead of 2 MRP/$.
I can't see Amex being able to change over any earlier if the SPG & MRP account number changes aren't in place.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
It's August 1. I just used my SPG Amex and submitted a small payment to prepay a portion of a MF. My statement closing date should be August 12. I'll report back as to the number of points received for the payment.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
I'm late to the party, trying to catch up, without much luck. Is the consensus that the SPG AMEX isn't going to be the best card to use anymore, and that we should apply for a Chase Sapphire Reserve, or a new Amex and spend $75K? We currently use the SPG Amex for everything that gets us 1 point and for Starwood MFs and timeshare incidentals. However, we have other cards...Costco Citibank, Hawaiian Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Disney, United Explorer...

Also, if I have 200K SPG points, is it too late for me to do anything good with them now, or do I have another week to make a transfer to an airline? If we have never used any points for hotels and fly mainly Hawaiian or Alaska, should I just transfer them all to one or both of these airlines? According to the Points Guy, he indicated that the conversions would still stay the same, is this right?

Not a fan of change. Loved our SPG Amex for so long. We like the extra warranty coverage, purchase protection, etc.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Newbie to Vistana. Where does one pay MF online? Just went into the reservation portal and could not find bill payment.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Newbie to Vistana. Where does one pay MF online? Just went into the reservation portal and could not find bill payment.

It’s on the dashboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thank you! So much on the dashboard I did not see it. When are MF due?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thank you! So much on the dashboard I did not see it. When are MF due?
Usually in January. Though it many depend on the resort. You can prepay any time.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I'm late to the party, trying to catch up, without much luck. Is the consensus that the SPG AMEX isn't going to be the best card to use anymore, and that we should apply for a Chase Sapphire Reserve, or a new Amex and spend $75K? We currently use the SPG Amex for everything that gets us 1 point and for Starwood MFs and timeshare incidentals. However, we have other cards...Costco Citibank, Hawaiian Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Disney, United Explorer...

Also, if I have 200K SPG points, is it too late for me to do anything good with them now, or do I have another week to make a transfer to an airline? If we have never used any points for hotels and fly mainly Hawaiian or Alaska, should I just transfer them all to one or both of these airlines? According to the Points Guy, he indicated that the conversions would still stay the same, is this right?

Not a fan of change. Loved our SPG Amex for so long. We like the extra warranty coverage, purchase protection, etc.

If you have never used any points for hotels and do not plan on doing so in the future then airline miles may be your best best. Yes, the transfer (conversion) ratio, including the bonus, will remain the same in the future. Prior to August 18, be sure and transfer in increments of 20,000 to get the 5,000 bonus. After August 18, transfer in increments of 60,000 to get the 5,000 mile bonus.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have never used any points for hotels and do not plan on doing so in the future then airline miles may be your best best. Yes, the transfer (conversion) ratio, including the bonus, will remain the same in the future. Prior to August 18, be sure and transfer in increments of 20,000 to get the 5,000 bonus. After August 18, transfer in increments of 60,000 to get the 5,000 mile bonus.
I think it will be 60K to get 15K miles bonus.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I think it will be 60K to get 15K miles bonus.

No. 60,000 Marriott points will yield 20,000 miles and a 5,000 mile bonus. Therefore, 60,000 Marriott points will get you 25,000 miles.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC

Thank you! I might just transfer before August 18. If I ever wanted to use the points for hotels, has that ship sailed already? What are those of you who use them for hotels doing with your points? Is the best credit card now the Chase Sapphire Reserve?