TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Refillable water bottles with filter suggestions for Orlando

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by mdurette, Jan 13, 2019.

1. mdurette

mdurette Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I'm thinking about an upcoming trip to Disney and ways I can keep a few pennies away the mouse. Water is our families "go-to" drink - we are not fussy, prefer Poland Springs but am fine with filtered, non spring like Dasani. BUT...I cannot stand Orlando swamp water. The smell, the taste. Ugh.....

In the past I have always brought a few bottles into the park with us. They last the morning, but by the afternoon/evening we are buying water and it adds up. Not to mention the weight of them in the back pack too.

I have heard Starbucks locations provide free cups of water that are better tasting than fountains or other counter service locations. This is a start....but I'm thinking about those refillable water bottles with filters.

Anyone with a disgust to Orlando water like me and have tried one? Do they really work to pull the swamp taste out of the water?

2. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    I just got one for my birthday and I can tell you that it does a very good job of filtering out the icky taste but it was not cheap - about $60 if I recall correctly. We were headed to French Polynesia and I had heard that their water, even though treated, could still mess with your stomach and I wanted none of that. The bottle that we used is called the Grayl and filters out almost everything including viruses, so it is probably a lot more than you need. It works like a french press for your water, so it is fairly quick to filter and refill everyone's water bottles.

Anyway, if you read reviews for the Grayl you will probably see other brands mentioned so perhaps that will point you in the right direction if the Grayl is more than you need. https://www.amazon.com/GRAYL-Ultral...ocphy=9031352&hvtargid=pla-541368665272&psc=1

3. DrQ

DrQ TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed), Inverness by the Sea
    Jan M. likes this.
  4. Pompey Family

Pompey Family Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
    I don't think there's anything that will remove the stench and taste from Orlando water, I'd be amazed if there was.

5. Jan M.

Jan M. TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
    RCI Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach
    I can recommend these water bottles. We also bring our Brita pitcher when we go to Orlando and can do that because we are driving. I bought a second smaller Brita pitcher that we keep in our travel box. If you have a pitcher you aren't using take the filter out of the pitcher and store it in the refrigerator making sure it is covered in water. Same thing with the filters in the water bottles. If you aren't using them, still keep them in the refrigerator full of water so the filters don't dry out. If they dry out you will get carbon particles in the water the next time or two you use your bottles. I don't believe it will hurt to you drink the water with the carbon particles in it but it really isn't appealing. Walmart sells their Great Value brand replacement filters for the pitchers if you want to save some money. At home we have a Brita filter on our kitchen sink faucet too and we fill our Brita pitcher with water that has already been filtered once. I figure it can't hurt.

I mentioned this thread to my husband and he said what I was thinking. You all must not have stayed at some of the resorts around the Country that we've stayed at if you object that strongly to the water in Orlando. I don't remember where but somewhere we stayed I wouldn't even rinse my mouth out with the tap water after I brushed my teeth. When we go to Vegas we fly and stay longer than just a week. We buy so many gallon jugs of water that I always feel guilty about all the plastic jugs we are putting in the trash that I doubt get recycled.

1st Class and klpca like this.
  6. DrQ

DrQ TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed), Inverness by the Sea
    If it is just strongly chlorinated, here is a trick to reduce the chlorine taste, fill the pitcher provided by the resort from the HOT water tap. The hot water degasses and releases much of the chlorine.

Jan M. likes this.
  7. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    Btw, going along with what Jan posted, we use a PUR filter pitcher at home because while San Diego is wonderful, our water is gawdawful. Seriously, it's so bad that I can smell it when it comes through the tap. Brita does not remove enough of the taste for me (two filters IIRC) but PUR has three, and once I filter it through the PUR filter I can drink it. I am a bit of a fanatic about the way my water tastes, and the PUR filter is awesome. I have taken mine on vacation many times.

1st Class likes this.
  8. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    Don't forget to outfit your family with these...

[​IMG]
    Available at Amazon.com

9. mentalbreak

mentalbreak Guest

We use aquasana and love them. Filters great, and it is the only water bottle I have found where I actually don’t mind the spout. I can’t stand straws or anything you have to bite and drink.
    We got ours from Costco.com, but that was a few years ago.