• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

*** Recommendations Wanted - Where should we buy? ***

Binspira

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree
Ok - here is my survey below. Wondering where should we Buy? I was going to purchase a Raintree Timeshare ----> http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index....-confused-supposed-to-close-this-week.257702/

Survey:

1) Where do you want your home resort to be? Rockies or Hawaii (not sure how important this is since would want to travel to different places and would want good value and good trading power.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? Trade more

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations? Rockies, Hawaii, Caribbean, Mexico (occasionally) and Canada

4) How many people do you usually travel with? 2-6

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? anytime

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 5 stars

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? Can afford whatever is best value - financing not needed

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? Can afford whatever is best value - ideally, $2,000 or less a year - would go more is super-compelling value.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? yes

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? yes

We own one timeshare - Raintree - bought at Mexico, rescinded sale, bought resale, didn't like just Mexico, was upsold to Raintree 15 (which added more resorts and allowed acceleration) and have enjoyed owning this timeshare every since. We use two weeks a year, go off-season and get a nice value in very clean place in the Rockies, yet want to expand and have more buying power and our Raintree is done in the next 5 years.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks. Binspira

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My knee jerk response is that based upon your replies you should give WorldMark serious consideration (and research), although "5 star" expectations are not likely going to be consistently met anywhere outside of Marriott, Hyatt, Westin, etc. Others may have different views and / or input.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Theo nail it above.

Since you have TS experience, is it the resort experience of pools, open green space, golf & tennis and condos with balconies that you need more of?

While I totally get that, might I suggest you look at the 'city' travel experience. Wyndham and several other developers have started opening major city buildings. Like "Wyndham Midtown 45" in NYC and several other large & major cities.

Binspira

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree
although "5 star" expectations are not likely going to be consistently met anywhere outside of Marriott, Hyatt, etc. Others may have different views and / or input.

Thank you and wanted to clarify.. 5 star does not mean 5 star from a hotel perspective. Just more on the nicer to much nigher properties. Like newer, cleaner, good amenities vs properties that are older. In fact, we prefer a more condo-feel vs hotel type of stay.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you and wanted to clarify.. 5 star does not mean 5 star from a hotel perspective. Just more on the nicer to much nigher properties. Like newer, cleaner, good amenities vs properties that are older. In fact, we prefer a more condo-feel vs hotel type of stay.

Virtually all timeshares are, by definition, condos not hotel rooms and virtually all timeshare properties will offer similar amenities (such as pools).

Fwiw, all of our remaining (favorite) timeshare properties are indeed of "older" construction, but are clean, well managed and maintained and with "amenities" the same as those at the shiniest new property. A timeshare property ain't necessarily any better just because it's "newer". We've sold off five or six much "newer" timeshare weeks in the past few years, by choice. At the oldest (built in early 1980's) timeshare property at which we still own intervals, all units are 2BR and a spacious 1,350 square feet. Personally, we prefer clean and spacious over new and glitzy. Also, bear in mind that "older" timeshare properties, having been in the vanguard of timeshare construction, often have prime, superior site location. To each their own, of course. YMMV. :shrug:

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
1) Where do you want your home resort to be? Rockies or Hawaii (not sure how important this is since would want to travel to different places and would want good value and good trading power.

Hawaii timeshares are not cost effective to use for trading because they have the highest maintenance fees and taxes, so most of the time, you would be trading an expensive timeshare for a less expensive timeshare, which isn't a good strategy.

I am not familiar with timeshares in the Rockies, but for strong trading value, you would need a ski week or Christmas, or New Years week. An off-season week will have poor trading power.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 5 stars

The only systems that are consistently 4-5 Star are the hotel affiliated systems, so if this is a priority, that is where you should look:

Westin/Sheraton, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Check out the Hyatt's in Colorado, you will love them..

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
You've already received good advice, and you've by now probably realized that you're likely going to have to make a choice: either lower your quality expectations from 5-star to something more like a 3.5 or be willing to reduce the number of targeted destinations. Of the top-tier resort systems, Marriott is by far the largest and most extensive--and has resorts in all of your desired locations except Canada. Hilton Grand Vacations Club is the next largest of the top-tier systems. Hyatt and Vistana (formerly Starwood) have smaller systems but with outstanding quality resorts.

If you're able to take a step down on quality--but still have nice vacations--WorldMark is a good choice. They check off all of your location requirements.

One important factor you did not mention is your budget. You said you were looking for "best value", which can mean different things. If you're able to spend $12-15,000 upfront and support annual maintenance fees of $1500-3000 (as Denise mentioned, these fees vary widely depending on location with Hawaii typically being the most expensive), then you will probably be happiest with Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, or Vistana. If that's too rich for your blood, WorldMark is a good choice. I would highly recommend you avoid the Wyndham system, however--at least for the next few months--because of a hellacious problem they have right now with a terrible reservation system that does not allow owners to have full confidence that reservations made are held. Just read the Wyndham BBS here on TUG for more details than you'll ever want to know.

Finally, always keep in mind future resale. While there are exceptions, it's unlikely your resale purchase of a timeshare in any system will gain value over time, but the key is buying something that will easily re-sell in the future. Properties in any of the top tier systems named above will most likely be fine--especially if you avoid overbuilt locations like Orlando, Las Vegas, or Branson, for example. But if you check the Bargain Basement listings on TUG or Redweek, you'll notice that there are lots of Raintree, Bluegreen, Wyndham, Westgate and others that owners literally want to give away just to avoid paying continued maintenance fees.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
In fact check out all the Hyatt's... Great locations and top tier quality. For very reasonable MF's...

Ssentiw

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Branson's Nantucket
I recently purchased a 3 bedroom deeded timeshare from Branson's Nantucket and my mf's are only about 200 dollars per year. I thought that was pretty reasonable. I can use it every year.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I recently purchased a 3 bedroom deeded timeshare from Branson's Nantucket and my mf's are only about 200 dollars per year. I thought that was pretty reasonable. I can use it every year.
How recently? $200 sounds like a triennial (once every 3 years) and you probably either get 1/3 or the RCI points every year and/or you have the option to purchase bonus weeks from the developer for a fee on your off years. I can guarantee you are not getting a 3 br that you can use any week of the year annually for $200.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Go back and look at your deed and check the MF. My guess for an annual week for this resort, it will be closer to $1200 to $2000. Don't know if you are missing a 1 at the beginning or a 0 at the end.

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want a home resort in the rockies, is that for skiing or would that be more of a summer/offseason destination for you? My recommendation would change quite a bit depending on that answer.

Also, which Hawaiian island(s) do you prefer to visit? My recommendation would also change quite a bit based on your answer to that one.

Ssentiw

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Branson's Nantucket
Go back and look at your deed and check the MF. My guess for an annual week for this resort, it will be closer to $1200 to $2000. Don't know if you are missing a 1 at the beginning or a 0 at the end.
No ... it is truly only 200 dollars per year. We have had it since 2008 and that is what it's always been.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
No ... it is truly only 200 dollars per year. We have had it since 2008 and that is what it's always been.
Do you get points every year and if so how much and if you don't get points do you have to reserve a floating week each year or is it assigned.

Ssentiw

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Branson's Nantucket
How recently? $200 sounds like a triennial (once every 3 years) and you probably either get 1/3 or the RCI points every year and/or you have the option to purchase bonus weeks from the developer for a fee on your off years. I can guarantee you are not getting a 3 br that you can use any week of the year annually for $200.
You are correct ... I get 24,500 points per year or 73,500 points per three years. For three years it cost us $599 for three years.

Ssentiw

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Branson's Nantucket
Do you get points every year and if so how much and if you don't get points do you have to reserve a floating week each year or is it assigned.
We get 24,500 points every year. When we reserve at our Home TS, it cost us half the points. Nothing is assigned and no floating weeks.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We get 24,500 points every year. When we reserve at our Home TS, it cost us half the points. Nothing is assigned and no floating weeks.
Does it cost half the points because you are reserving something smaller than a 3 bedroom unit or during a lower season?

Ssentiw

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Branson's Nantucket
We were told that anytime we book at our home timeshare we would only have to pay half the points. That is a big "IF" you can get a reservation at the resort.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were told that anytime we book at our home timeshare we would only have to pay half the points. That is a big "IF" you can get a reservation at the resort.
Look at RCI now for August 2018. How many points for a 3 br?