• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recommendations needed: Amenities and Quality of Florida Gulf Properties

marinskas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tuggers,

Trying to figure out which of Florida gulf properties has the nicest amenities and things to do for families with kids under 10? Reviewed each resort on HGVC web and the ratings and it is hard to figure out.

Mostly interested in proximity to the beach, variety/large pools and things to do for kids (pool side entertainment, movie nights, etc.). Something similar to SeaWorld and Parc Soleil, but with a beach... Any recommendations?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
First off, none of the SW Florida properties compare to SeaWorld or Parc Soleil for size, multiple pools, activities, etc, so you might be disappointed if that is your expectation. They are mostly all smaller and older properties, but most have fantastic beaches.

I could recommend two that I am familiar with would be my best guess as a good fit for your family, both on Marco Island. Eagle's Nest is a bit newer than most of the other resorts, has a decent pool area and some activities. The Charter Club is a bit older, but the units are nicely updated. The pool is average but the big advantage of this location is they provide a nice selection of water sports equipment (paddle boards, kayaks, sail boats, etc.). Both of these locations are right on the ocean with fantastic views and a very large beach.

Kurt

marinskas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kurt.

How's the Plantation House on the Atlantic side? Looks a bit dated based on pictures, but beach seems to be nice.

Wgk101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas blvd
Charter Club Marco Island
Flamingo
We were at plantation house over thanksgiving a couple of years ago. Accommodations were very nice but the beach had a sort of mud like consistency. We much prefer the beaches on the gulf side. Sanibel has a lot of kids activities in the area. Captiva has a great kids program at the resort.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I recommend that you book whatever gulf-front resort you can get.
Availability is notoriously limited. So, it's not like it's totally up to you.

I asked them: "Do you have any place on Sanibel-Captiva 7-9 mo. out?"
They said, "No." So, i asked about my second choice, Marco Island.
They had Charter Club & Eagle's Nest. Been to one, so I chose the other.

Last edited:

marinskas

TUG Member
Reaction score
A month or two ago in the Club Traveler there was an article that Gulf Coast properties will soon be available for online reservations. I got excited thinking they are talking in a matter of days or weeks, but its still not available and who knows when it will be. Once they are there it will be much easier to reserve than to call and ask - such a pain!

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
First off, none of the SW Florida properties compare to SeaWorld or Parc Soleil for size, multiple pools, activities, etc, so you might be disappointed if that is your expectation. They are mostly all smaller and older properties, but most have fantastic beaches.

Sound and accurate observations.

We don't own within HGVC, but stayed at SeaWatch on Estero Blvd. in Fort Myers Beach via a rental from a Tugger / owner. The (somewhat "high rise") property is situated right on the Gulf beach. That said, I do not recall any "youngster" type amenities or activities on site (nor anywhere in the immediate area, for that matter). I suspect that property on narrow Estero Island is just too limited and too valuable to allocate for things like mini-golf, arcades and the like.

We rented kayaks from an outfit at FishTale Marina (within walking distance, Bay side of Estero Blvd) from a small operation called Crazy Woman Kayaks.
I recall that there were also powerboat based "eco-tours" of Estero Bay waters also being run out of that same marina, but we did not opt for that activity.
Bicycle rentals are available at nearby Dolphin Inn (Bay side of Estero Blvd). Dunno if any of that works for youngsters under 10 years old, however. :shrug:

Last edited:

X-ring

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tuggers,

Trying to figure out which of Florida gulf properties has the nicest amenities and things to do for families with kids under 10? Reviewed each resort on HGVC web and the ratings and it is hard to figure out.

Mostly interested in proximity to the beach, variety/large pools and things to do for kids (pool side entertainment, movie nights, etc.). Something similar to SeaWorld and Parc Soleil, but with a beach... Any recommendations?

Tortuga Beach Club on Sanibel is right on the beach and (as far as I know) is the only resort in the area with a full-time social convenor. She organizes various activities for kids (e.g. t-shirt painting) as well as having a special kids' night with movies, videos. She also organizes BBQ lunches every day and sometimes frozen treats. The pool is nice (including a lifter for persons with disabilities) with the size being commensurate with the size of the 54-unit resort. [P.S. - check my rental ad for more details on the resort ... e.g. free green fees for 6 guests, daily]

Bxian

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at the Charter Club. They have crafts (and perhaps scavenger hunts) for the kids, but no movies or poolside activities that I am aware of. The boats are great, and if you don't know how to sail you can reserve one of the guys at the beach hut to show you the ropes. There are also bikes that you can take out as well as organized bike rides a couple of mornings a week. Tennis, too. Marco Movies is a dine-in movie theater right across the street. On Monday, there is a breakfast where local vendors will come in and talk about boat trips, fishing, etc. We won a boat trip last year-went out to an island for some shelling and then went looking for dolphins. The kids on the trip enjoyed that. If your kids are OK with swimming, sailing, and other low key type stuff, CC would be fine. But is they need a constant dose of organized activities, it may not be a good fit.