• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recommendations for Wyndham Hawaii?

dcdowden

TUG Member
Reaction score
My nephew is interested in a visit to Hawaii in the late Spring (April or May), and I have lots of Wyndham points next year due to our annual 4 weeks in January at Royal Vista being cancelled. I am looking for recommendations as to which are the best resorts. I have checked availability at a few and so far there is availability at Royal Sea Cliff (Big Island), Ka Eo Kai (Kauai), and Waikiki Beach Walk (Oahu). We sent guests to Royal Sea Cliff once and they seemed to like it, but I am not familiar with any of the Wyndham properties in Hawaii, so I would appreciate any advice people can provide.
Thanks much,
Doug

PS - My nephew is single in early his thirties and may have a friend or two tag along. He lives in Minneapolis so is looking for a break from the long cold winter.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
For a young single guy, Oahu would be my first choice.

slabeaume

Reaction score
Is he into hiking, history, snorkeling, ... ? For hiking, I'd suggest the Princeville resort on Kauai. For history, the Beach Walk on Oahu. For snorkeling, the Big Island. If he wants a lot of night life---Oahu. He won't need a car on Oahu, but will on the other islands.

woj027

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai Villas, Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort, Wyndham Midtown 45
All three are great locations (I mean area not resort). I’ve been to all 3 cities and tourist wise all three are fun.
Oahu is the big city in Hawaii and will have nightlife and you can drive to all sorts of the great parts of the island (lots of great beaches within a 1.5 hr drive).
the big island will be nice but you will have to drive to sandy beaches lots of tourist opportunities, but again 30-60 min drives. But the big island has so much to see
Kauai you need a car to get most places but as noted lots of great hiking and Great beaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peachh

TUG Member
Reaction score
My nephew is interested in a visit to Hawaii in the late Spring (April or May), and I have lots of Wyndham points next year due to our annual 4 weeks in January at Royal Vista being cancelled. I am looking for recommendations as to which are the best resorts. I have checked availability at a few and so far there is availability at Royal Sea Cliff (Big Island), Ka Eo Kai (Kauai), and Waikiki Beach Walk (Oahu). We sent guests to Royal Sea Cliff once and they seemed to like it, but I am not familiar with any of the Wyndham properties in Hawaii, so I would appreciate any advice people can provide.
Thanks much,
Doug

PS - My nephew is single in early his thirties and may have a friend or two tag along. He lives in Minneapolis so is looking for a break from the long cold winter.
Hi! We stay at the Ilikai, right on the beach. Beautiful spot. It is a Shell property, now owned by Wyndham. They have suites that face the mountain and some face the ocean. Love it there, very close to everything. Hope this review helps.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
Hi! We stay at the Ilikai, right on the beach. Beautiful spot. It is a Shell property, now owned by Wyndham. They have suites that face the mountain and some face the ocean. Love it there, very close to everything. Hope this review helps.
I agree the Ilikai has a great location in Waikiki and 123 rooms are Shell Vacation club .. all studios. Wyndham has not added that resort to it's inventory of bookable resorts through their site. If anyone knows a way to use Wyndham points to get in that would be good.

Bob

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are going to Hawaii in late May 2018 and are staying on three islands .. Royal Seacliff on the Big Island, Shearwater on Kauai and then Beachwalk in Oahu. Those were our favorite picks after lots of research but have not stayed in any of them yet. Shearwater is absolute tops for a view of the ocean .. another recent thread went into depth. At Royal Seacliff you may not have an ocean view or you may .. depending on room. We picked up a '2 bedroom plus' which I believe does have the view. Beachwalk in Waikiki is close to 'action' though the Garden looks nice as well there and just a few blocks away .. on the channel.

Bob

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Post a exchange in Market Place. Or, maybe a Shell owner might work something out.

dcdowden

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the comments. That will be helpful when my nephew is here for Thanksgiving and hopefully decides where he wants to stay.

BillyBob444

Reaction score
We are going to Hawaii in late May 2018 and are staying on three islands .. Royal Seacliff on the Big Island, Shearwater on Kauai and then Beachwalk in Oahu. Those were our favorite picks after lots of research but have not stayed in any of them yet. Shearwater is absolute tops for a view of the ocean .. another recent thread went into depth. At Royal Seacliff you may not have an ocean view or you may .. depending on room. We picked up a '2 bedroom plus' which I believe does have the view. Beachwalk in Waikiki is close to 'action' though the Garden looks nice as well there and just a few blocks away .. on the channel.

Bob
Have fun on your trip there. The only problem you will have is the air fare between Islands is crazy expensive. Went there 2 years ago and spent more on Island airfare than anything else. Next time I go it will to one island

markb53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Panama City Beach
Worldmark
Have fun on your trip there. The only problem you will have is the air fare between Islands is crazy expensive. Went there 2 years ago and spent more on Island airfare than anything else. Next time I go it will to one island
I thought it was pretty reasonable to add the inter island flights. I’m flying from Oakland CA to Hawaii in June. First I was looking at just a round trip to the Big Island which would cost $781 per person. Then I looked at Oakland to Honolulu for 4 days then to the Big Island for a week then on to Kauai for a week then back Oakland. Total cost per person $846. I thought $65 for the 2 additional flights wasn’t too bad.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought it was pretty reasonable to add the inter island flights. I’m flying from Oakland CA to Hawaii in June. First I was looking at just a round trip to the Big Island which would cost $781 per person. Then I looked at Oakland to Honolulu for 4 days then to the Big Island for a week then on to Kauai for a week then back Oakland. Total cost per person $846. I thought $65 for the 2 additional flights wasn’t too bad.
I agree. From Ohio round trip to only the Big Island is around $1200+ in late May but adding a couple inter-island hops brought it up into the $1400 range.

BTW Island Air just closed down operations but Hawaiian Air is still covering. Prices might inch up without the competition.

Bob

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Each of those choices are very different. Each island is also very different. You'll want to ask how your nephew wants to spend his time, and how much time he will be spending in the resort. if he's like most younger people, he'll want to be outside, enjoying the Hawaiian sunshine.

Oahu is an island, and NOT just a big city. Yes, Honolulu is there, and Waikiki is part of Honolulu, but that's only part of the island's appeal. Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head are on Oahu. So is Waimea Bay, Makaha, Pupukea, Pipeline, Haleiwa, and Sunset Beach, for anyone who ever thought about climbing on a surfboard. A drive to the North Shore beaches brings a totally different experience than being in the city. Hiking the Koolau Trail is an adventurous, exciting time. There is plenty to do on Oahu, in or out of the city, especially if he has a friend or two along to share in the fun. If the goal is to escape the winter cold, then just kicking back on the sand in Waikiki may be a fine time, but a day spent in the sun on Kailua Beach may make him a Hawaii fan for life -- it's one of the best beaches on any of the Hawaiian islands. I used to live in Kailua as a teenager, and every time I go to Oahu, I make it a point to spend time on Kailua beach. In my opinion, none of the other beaches in Hawaii are as nice. Waikiki nightlife is as wild as it gets. No limit to the fun, people watching, and entertainment options to be found there. Definitely the "South Beach" of Hawaii.

Kauai is a quieter place. Great hiking, great beaches, and fewer people. But the Ka Eo Kai resort is perched on a cliff high above the water, and if you want to do anything, you need to have a car to get there. For anyone who wants to get up and out and "do" stuff, Kauai may be a bit too laid back. There is virtually no nightlife on Kauai, so if he's interested in after-dark fun, there isn't much on Kauai.

The Big Island is a bit of everything. It's very big, so lots of driving is required if he wants to see the high points. But if he wants to see an active volcano, the Big Island is the only place to see one. Black sand beaches, the telescopes at the top of Mauna Kea, amazing hiking in the lava fields or through the rain forests - there is plenty to do there. Snorkeling is excellent, and there is plenty of Hawaiian history there. It's a place for a more adventurous type.

Whichever you choose, you can't go wrong. They're all beautiful, exciting, and fun. Just very different from each other. The resort is secondary to it all.

Dave

Last edited: