• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recommendation to get Pesos prior to Cozumel Trip versus using US Currency

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
What would be better to use paying taxi cabs? They do accept USD bills, right?

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Pesos is the best. While they will reluctantly accept USD, the taxi drivers will give you an awful exchange rate.

Plus, I think it is just more courteous. How would you feel if a Mexican national tried to pay you for a service you provided in Pesos in Canada?

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably. But at an abysmal exchange rate. They would likely count each dollar as worth perhaps 10-12 pesos whereas the official rate is north of 17 per USD. Just get a stash of pesos from a BANK ATM as soon as you arrive. No point making this difficult. If you pay a taxi or tip a baggage handler in dollars, THEY have to exchange it and will make the exchange from you worth their inconvenience.

Jim

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To a cab driver, I would prefer the American dollar. The Dollar is worth more than pesos. No changes my amigo passenger.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if a foreigner were to withdraw cash from an ATM, would it be more advisable to get it from one at the airport or away from the airport? Would that answer depend on which bank you use back home?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
We've never had any issue getting Pesos at any airport ATM in Mexico, and I can't imagine it would depend on your home bank. There has always been a small (<$3-4) fee, but we have always gotten a good exchange rate and have never had any problems w/ fraud.

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lanny, Using an ATM at the airport is fine. Perhaps better if you find one from a bank that your home bank is associated with (might save you a couple of bucks-ask your home bank which one to use), But the semi-important thing is to use a BANK ATM, not something like CASHBox or some other cute name. Big banks in Mexico are Banamex, HBSC, Santander. All the ATMs will be clustered together outside the baggage carousels/customs/red-green light button/timeshare body snatchers etc. They will be in the area accessible to the public outside the secure area of the airport.

This isn't difficult. Don't overthink it.

Jim

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're going to Cancun for the first time. It will really be our first time in Mexico using Pesos,

I know it will end up being easy peasy once we get used to using a different currency. Do you remember when you used a foreign currency for the first time? What was the easiest and quickest way to convert in your head? Does the average tourist grasp this fairly quickly? I would like to appear more savvy than I am and avoid overpaying or initially underpaying, or being short-changed myself. I also don't want my husband and I standing there attempting math problems and feeling "stupid" while attempting to pay for something. :p

I've taken the stress out of renting a car and us both getting wigged out driving in unfamiliar territory. My husband has anxiety issues with these types of situations, even if it's just in the next town over from where we live, GPS doesn't necessarily help. I always have him drive on vacations because I don't want that anxiety I try to assist with getting us where we need to go, but I'm not always the best navigator.

So, I would say the next thing on the "do not stress" list is dealing with a different currency than my own, I've never done it nor he, and I just want it to be as stress-free as possible.

I am going to my bank today to notify them about my upcoming international travel and the accounts I will be using while away.

I know that I need to utilize only the Bank ATMs at the airport after clearing Customs near Baggage Pick-up where I will be accosted by timeshare body-snatchers. Too many warnings over the years here on TUG about developer timeshare sales in Mexico. I warned my Mom several years ago, but she still came back home having bought one. :eek: I did my best to help her, but she finally told me to "STOP". I guess she chalked it up to "lost money" and didn't want to fight to possibly get money back. Looking back, she probably made the right choice in just moving on. She never used it. You just pay the maintenance fees for the years that you use it. It's a racket. I can pay my way for tours, restaurants, etc. Any offers would not entice me. :cool:

So, Tuggers, what's the fastest and easiest way to learn to use a foreign currency? :hi:

eabishop2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, Mazatlan
Tahiti Village, Las Vegas
HGVC Elara, Las Vegas
Mentally, 200 pesos equals 10 dollars. And 20 pesos equals 1 dollar. If you keep this in mind it's pretty easy to do the math in your head most of the time. (i.e. a menu item shown as $220 is 11 dollars). Remember, they use the $ for pesos as well so it can be confusing, but it's pretty clear with context and almost always means pesos. If something is priced in dollars it will usually say US Dollars. The actual currency itself is as easy to use as any currency. It has numbers on it. Unlike US currency, it's size tells its relative value, and the colors are different. Just treat a 200 peso note as if it's a 10 dollar bill, and a 500 peso note as if it's a "25 dollar bill". The smallest bill is 20 pesos. Coins take a bit of time to get used to, so you kind of have to look like a tourist if you want to pay with coins....but you are a tourist!

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mentally, 200 pesos equals 10 dollars. And 20 pesos equals 1 dollar. If you keep this in mind it's pretty easy to do the math in your head most of the time. (i.e. a menu item shown as $220 is 11 dollars). Remember, they use the $ for pesos as well so it can be confusing, but it's pretty clear with context and almost always means pesos. If something is priced in dollars it will usually say US Dollars. The actual currency itself is as easy to use as any currency. It has numbers on it. Unlike US currency, it's size tells its relative value, and the colors are different. Just treat a 200 peso note as if it's a 10 dollar bill, and a 500 peso note as if it's a "25 dollar bill". The smallest bill is 20 pesos. Coins take a bit of time to get used to, so you kind of have to look like a tourist if you want to pay with coins....but you are a tourist!

Thank you. Divide by 2 and knock off a zero. We'll practice our new currency skills on the plane ride there to while away some time.

rpennisi

Reaction score
Thank you. Divide by 2 and knock off a zero. We'll practice our new currency skills on the plane ride there to while away some time.
My method is similar...move the decimal left and divide by 2 (for US currency). So, 300 pesos becomes 30 and divided by 2 becomes 15 dollars.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
rpennisi, I like your methodology and it is so simple. Thanks

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
To a cab driver, I would prefer the American dollar. The Dollar is worth more than pesos. No changes my amigo passenger.
Of course they would, especially when the offer a poor exchange rate like 1:10 or 1:12. This is why it is always better to use Peso.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
My method is similar...move the decimal left and divide by 2 (for US currency). So, 300 pesos becomes 30 and divided by 2 becomes 15 dollars.
Even easier, just look at a 100 peso note as $5, a 500 peso note as a $25 bill, one peso coin is a nickel, 10 pesos is 50 cents and so on.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Even easier, just look at a 100 peso note as $5, a 500 peso note as a $25 bill, one peso coin is a nickel, 10 pesos is 50 cents and so on.
Which one is easier is objective. I find the math easier to do on the fly than remembering each individual note. It is the same result after all.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
There’s an app for that! The rules of thumb work now, but when the exchange rate changes (after we build the wall/exit NAFTA) they won’t.... I picked a free app for my phone that updates the exchange rates and does the calculations for me. Makes it easier to see how good an exchange rate at a resort is, too.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which one is easier is objective. I find the math easier to do on the fly than remembering each individual note. It is the same result after all.
True. After a day or two using any foreign currency, my mind stops trying to do a conversion and just uses the currency at hand as it is. in other words if a restaurant bill says 1600 pesos, I just dig out the notes rather than do the mental gymnastics to figure out what it converts to. OTOH, when I see a billboard offering a car for millions of pesos, I'll do the math to get a comparison figure- not that I'm going to buy a car, just to answer my morbid curiosity.

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used an app. The one we used would give use the current exchange rate if we had data, and if we didn't it used the exchange rate from the last time it did.

To easy really.

We take a little bit of Canadian (not on purpose, just what is on us), America cash (not alot, 4-500), also America debit/Visa, and the rest is Paseo's.

We don't drink, smoke and with my wife's food allergies we don't eat regularly. We will hand pick some local restaurants that she can pick off the menu since safe items. As such, we don't spend a large amount so it's not too difficult for us to manage the exchange.

Sent from my M6 Note using Tapatalk

rpennisi

Reaction score
True. After a day or two using any foreign currency, my mind stops trying to do a conversion and just uses the currency at hand as it is. in other words if a restaurant bill says 1600 pesos, I just dig out the notes rather than do the mental gymnastics to figure out what it converts to. OTOH, when I see a billboard offering a car for millions of pesos, I'll do the math to get a comparison figure- not that I'm going to buy a car, just to answer my morbid curiosity.

I look at your example of a meal of 1600 pesos and go 160, then to 80 US dollars just as an example of relative cost.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
And also for Canadians, you can get the Amazon Visa(Chase) which has no annual fee and does not charge the foreign fees.

I am pretty sure that the Marriott card and Amazon are the only no foreign transaction fee options for us Canucks

Update on this: Chase is canceling their agreement with Amazon.ca effective Mar 15th 2018. As well the Chase Marriott is no longer taking new applications, so likely only a matter of time before that card goes also.

There is a new player Home Trust preferred Visa, no annual fee, no foreign transaction fees and 1% cashback, so a decent alternative for us Canucks