• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Points

Daddyaus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Fairfield Glade
Does anyone know of a good source of information for RCI points membership?

Things like best way to use them and what represents good value in terms of MF’s?

Thanks in advance.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
TUG is certainly one of the best sources of information! RCI also has a lot of info online. What specific info are you looking for?

A penny per point had been considered a good cost for maintenance fees... I saw that the first time a few years back. But as we know, maintenance fees rise each year but the number of points received usually stays the same.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've searched TUG but didn't find the information on the RCI points system. I would be interested in the legal arrangements. I toured the Grand View (a Vacation Village site). They were selling RCI points. As best I could tell, I would buy a deeded week at the resort and the deed would be valued in RCI points.

(1) Am I required to trade only with in the RCI point system? Can I use the deeded week for exchanges with third party companies, like SFX or DAE?

(2) With RCI points am I exchanging only among other RCI point owner? Is the RCI points inventory the same as the "normal" RCI inventory?

(3) Is Club Wyndham involved in the RCI points network? Would a RCI point owner have access to the Wyndham portfolio?

(4) What would I be selling in the secondary (or resale) market if I get out? The deeded unit? Do the RCI points and membership transfer?

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I've searched TUG but didn't find the information on the RCI points system. I would be interested in the legal arrangements. I toured the Grand View (a Vacation Village site). They were selling RCI points. As best I could tell, I would buy a deeded week at the resort and the deed would be valued in RCI points.

(1) Am I required to trade only with in the RCI point system? Can I use the deeded week for exchanges with third party companies, like SFX or DAE?

If you confirm your deeded week (I believe 12-13 months in advance) you could use it to exchange with a 3rd party company. I've never done that.

(2) With RCI points am I exchanging only among other RCI point owner? Is the RCI points inventory the same as the "normal" RCI inventory?

RCI Points members also have access to RCI Weeks inventory.

(3) Is Club Wyndham involved in the RCI points network? Would a RCI point owner have access to the Wyndham portfolio?

No...only access to Wyndham inventory they had been deposited to RCI.

(4) What would I be selling in the secondary (or resale) market if I get out? The deeded unit? Do the RCI points and membership transfer?

Both.. as long as your RCI fees are current. There is a fee to transfer the RCI membership.

Also... only buy resale!!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
There are a few RCI points resorts that do not transfer with resale, most do.
Another thing that makes it hard to advice when talking about using a timeshare primarily through RCI, things change. Although the points to use at the home resort and at other points resorts are relatively fixed, the points used for specific weeks resorts can change. The points and fee structures can change when using points partners for hotels and airfare and such. MF's can rise dramatically while points do not change so what saw once a very efficient points exchanger can be come so so or not so great. Obviously if and when those things happen it would become more difficult to unload the unit to someone else.

At a minimum even if you are looking at a resort as an exchanger, I would ask myself is this a place where I would like to stay or at least wouldn't mind staying in (is it nice enough with a decent enough location and decent enough amenities) if the whole points thing doesn't end up working out. If the answer is no I would never want to stay there then you might want to consider someplace else as others probably feel the same way and there could be a special assessment in the near future or a rise in MF's.

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
How do you know which resorts are RCI point affiliated? Don't know if they still are, but Sheraton Vistana Resort used to be an RCI points resort.
Also, when you use RCI Points do you have to book 7 nights or can you book shorter stays?
Does your unit have trade power? So do you have to be sure you have a week and good season etc?
Are all RCI affiliated resorts in the points program? If not, how can you find which resorts are affiliated before you buy.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If there is at least 1 person at the resort who has converted and is currently in RCI points, it is a points resort. Also non RCI points resorts that have their own internal points system where the developer can choose to deposit in either points or weeks are considered RCI points resorts(Hilton, Wyndham, DVC, etc). There usually are still weeks owners at a points resort and their membership continues the same as it always had with trading power (tpu).

If you own an RCI points week then your trading power is the number of points you have. You want to make sure your points to MF ratio is good. You don't want anything above a penny a point and the closer you can get to half a penny per point the better.

You can book for less than 7 nights into points resort inventory. Again just because it is a points resort doesn't mean a particular week that is deposited is in points. It could be in either. In some ways the only way to tell if it is in points is if it lets you book more or less than 7 nights in a single transaction. If you are booking 7 nights you can tell it is points because the exchange fee is about $30 less.

If you want RCI points you need to look for someone who has already converted and is selling. Buying an unconverted week at a points resort will get you an unconverted week. There are a few resorts that do not transfer the points with resale. I don't have a list. I know the Soleil managed resorts fall into this category. You would need to make sure you don't buy one that doesn't transfer as points. You will just need to do the research when you come to one you like.

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
j
If there is at least 1 person at the resort who has converted and is currently in RCI points, it is a points resort. Also non RCI points resorts that have their own internal points system where the developer can choose to deposit in either points or weeks are considered RCI points resorts(Hilton, Wyndham, DVC, etc). There usually are still weeks owners at a points resort and their membership continues the same as it always had with trading power (tpu).

If you own an RCI points week then your trading power is the number of points you have. You want to make sure your points to MF ratio is good. You don't want anything above a penny a point and the closer you can get to half a penny per point the better.

You can book for less than 7 nights into points resort inventory. Again just because it is a points resort doesn't mean a particular week that is deposited is in points. It could be in either. In some ways the only way to tell if it is in points is if it lets you book more or less than 7 nights in a single transaction. If you are booking 7 nights you can tell it is points because the exchange fee is about $30 less.

If you want RCI points you need to look for someone who has already converted and is selling. Buying an unconverted week at a points resort will get you an unconverted week. There are a few resorts that do not transfer the points with resale. I don't have a list. I know the Soleil managed resorts fall into this category. You would need to make sure you don't buy one that doesn't transfer as points. You will just need to do the research when you come to one you like.

Thank you so much for explaining it fully. I appreciate it.
One more question, so RCI points inventory is from RCI point deposits, correct?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes RCI points inventory is from RCI point owners deposits which in most cases are auto deposited at 12 months, becoming available to rci point owners at other resorts at 10 months or developer RCI points inventory deposits. RCI points members also have access to RCI weeks inventory.