• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Points Quirk

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Learned something new about RCI Points today that might be worth keeping in mind. I had about 100K Points left in the 2017 use year, which ends in May of 2018 for me. Made a home week reservation for July 2018 that used up my 2017 points. Subsequently I canceled the reservation and the points showed up as 2018 use year, effectively extending them one year with no cost since home week reservations are free and I canceled early enough to get all the points back. Wasn’t on purpose, but nice to know about this quirk in case I don’t use up my points in future years, too.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Learned something new about RCI Points today that might be worth keeping in mind. I had about 100K Points left in the 2017 use year, which ends in May of 2018 for me. Made a home week reservation for July 2018 that used up my 2017 points. Subsequently I canceled the reservation and the points showed up as 2018 use year, effectively extending them one year with no cost since home week reservations are free and I canceled early enough to get all the points back. Wasn’t on purpose, but nice to know about this quirk in case I don’t use up my points in future years, too.

Thanks for the information. I might just try that! Since we started to spend 3 winter months in Belize we are finding it difficult to use all our points (we also own a week) and I don't like giving RCI any extra money to extend our points. Then we'd have even more to use the next year!:wall:

~Diane

flybefree

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked our home resort for June 2018 and our adult and teen sons have decided they're not interested in going to Myrtle Beach. So I'm going to be canceling it and was concerned about having to extend those points as well. RCI told me they're good through Sept. 30, 2019. I'm a platinum member, though, so I'm not sure if that matters.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I believe the reason it worked out that way (as an extension) for me was because my use year ends in May, so the reservation was in the next use year, which would be ok for 2017 points given the extra year to use them. Since it was a July reservation, when I cancelled it, the points went in the year for the cancellation. It sounds like your use year ends in September, so the reservation would have to be October or later to have that effect. Sounds to me like these were points from the year ending 9/30/2018 to start with and should come back in the same year. In the account summary for me it lists current year points and future year points, which I can borrow from; when this happened the net effect was the points came back in the future year bin.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Given the relationship between RCI and Wyndham... and their inability to put out software that actually works, I'd say it's a bug that may be fixed someday.