• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Points Guide

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Hello fellow TUGgers,

For those of you who would like more information on RCI Points, I have attached a guide from RCI that explains how the system works.

Attachments

• new-member-points-brochure.pdf
    8.7 MB · Views: 381
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Animal Kingdom
@RNCollins..Thanks for the RCI guide. We are using our first RCI trade next year in Riviera Maya. Very excited, will be doing All Inclusive at the Hard Rock! :banana:

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I'm in the dark about the value of RCI points and I'm only asking because a friend of a friend of a friend is trying to give away a unit that has been converted to RCI points.

Can someone tell me what 55,000 RCI pts could get me in terms of unit size, season and location. The home resort is a 2br 2ba lock off in Kissimmee.

Thank you for any help.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Hi csxjohn,

This Points guide should help you out. It is from 2017, I’m not sure if there is an updated version.

Attachments

• RCI points-grid 2017.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 59

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I'm in the dark about the value of RCI points and I'm only asking because a friend of a friend of a friend is trying to give away a unit that has been converted to RCI points.

Can someone tell me what 55,000 RCI pts could get me in terms of unit size, season and location. The home resort is a 2br 2ba lock off in Kissimmee.

Thank you for any help.
The number of points an rci points resort gets is a negotiated value between the resort and rci. Resorts in active sales may pay a back end fee to rci (in the millions as has been alleged by massanutten and other Vacation Village resorts) that gives them more points than other similar resorts. So it is harder to say what 55,000 will get you. It's unlikely that 55,000 will be enough to get you a newer 2 BR resort still in active sales but at an older points resort it could get you 2BR in prime and maybe even some points left over. I have both points and weeks in rci and always compare to see which is a better deal for me. 50% of the time the value is about the same in either system. 25% is skewed to points and the other 25% it is skewed to weeks. In places with a lot of availability like Orlando, or Massanutten or non summer Williamsburg weeks often has a better value in terms of using to trade in.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
The number of points an rci points resort gets is a negotiated value between the resort and rci. Resorts in active sales may pay a back end fee to rci (in the millions as has been alleged by massanutten and other Vacation Village resorts) that gives them more points than other similar resorts. So it is harder to say what 55,000 will get you. It's unlikely that 55,000 will be enough to get you a newer 2 BR resort still in active sales but at an older points resort it could get you 2BR in prime and maybe even some points left over. I have both points and weeks in rci and always compare to see which is a better deal for me. 50% of the time the value is about the same in either system. 25% is skewed to points and the other 25% it is skewed to weeks. In places with a lot of availability like Orlando, or Massanutten or non summer Williamsburg weeks often has a better value in terms of using to trade in.
Do points fluctuate? When a resort is no longer in active sales, will the points value decrease? Or does RCI just increase amount of points needed at higher rated resorts? The DVC resorts according to the last point chart anyone has shows a high of 68K points for a one bedroom SSR, yet some one bedrooms have been offered for 85K with priority. Is that increase based off of priority access? I’ve seen offerings for both 85K for priority and 68K non priority.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Do points fluctuate? When a resort is no longer in active sales, will the points value decrease? Or does RCI just increase amount of points needed at higher rated resorts? The DVC resorts according to the last point chart anyone has shows a high of 68K points for a one bedroom SSR, yet some one bedrooms have been offered for 85K with priority. Is that increase based off of priority access? I’ve seen offerings for both 85K for priority and 68K non priority.
Points don't fluctuate, either in terms of what you get or what it takes to reserve- other than during rci sales for booking. The exception would be if a resort loses its status so if it goes from a gold resort to a silver resort based on reviews or the closing of amenities. This is really rare.

DVC isn't really an rci points resort. DVC can deposit into rci weeks or points inventory. It isn't as though dvc members get rci points, they always exchange using dvc points. The fluctuation could be weeks vs points inventory or some other DVC back door something or other.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Points don't fluctuate, either in terms of what you get or what it takes to reserve- other than during rci sales for booking. The exception would be if a resort loses its status so if it goes from a gold resort to a silver resort based on reviews or the closing of amenities. This is really rare.

DVC isn't really an rci points resort. DVC can deposit into rci weeks or points inventory. It isn't as though dvc members get rci points, they always exchange using dvc points. The fluctuation could be weeks vs points inventory or some other DVC back door something or other.
Ah ok. Thanks for clarifying

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi csxjohn,

This Points guide should help you out. It is from 2017, I’m not sure if there is an updated version.
Both of your links are very helpful, thank you

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So I that someone wanting to get into RCI points should really shop around for a unit that gives them maximum pts for minimum annual fees since they are all over the place as far as value, thank you

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hello fellow TUGgers,

For those of you who would like more information on RCI Points, I have attached a guide from RCI that explains how the system works.
I don't see what the exchange fee is for using RCI points, I may have missed it in the brochure.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I don't see what the exchange fee is for using RCI points, I may have missed it in the brochure.
The RCI fee schedule is here; https://www.rci.com/pre-rci-en_US/help/forms-and-fees/pow-member-fees-us.page
The best feature we have found with our points ownership is that we pay the same exchange fee to stay 7 nights as we do if we stay 13 nights! In our retirement we now stay 10-12 or more nights giving us two full weekends at the resort so we can take part in any weekend events happening in whatever town we are near. There is no cleaning fee (that we have ever been charged) for staying more than 7 nights, only when staying less than 7, which doesn't make sense to us, but oh well.

~Diane

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you all for your help, I understand it much better now.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
The RCI fee schedule is here; https://www.rci.com/pre-rci-en_US/help/forms-and-fees/pow-member-fees-us.page
The best feature we have found with our points ownership is that we pay the same exchange fee to stay 7 nights as we do if we stay 13 nights! In our retirement we now stay 10-12 or more nights giving us two full weekends at the resort so we can take part in any weekend events happening in whatever town we are near. There is no cleaning fee (that we have ever been charged) for staying more than 7 nights, only when staying less than 7, which doesn't make sense to us, but oh well.

~Diane
So the membership subscription fee is just the annual fee you pay for RCI? If I’m understanding correctly, you can have an RCI points enrolled ownership and it’s 499 for a five year RCI membership, if you want platinum it’s an additional 322? Say I purchase a 5 year, and then sell in two. What happens with the remaining three years? Do they transfer on the sale? Does the new owner have to pay another yearly fee on top of the subscription fee? Is the subscription fee just to keep the points active and then you also have to pay a yearly membership fee of 125? I’m confused

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So the membership subscription fee is just the annual fee you pay for RCI? If I’m understanding correctly, you can have an RCI points enrolled ownership and it’s 499 for a five year RCI membership, if you want platinum it’s an additional 322? Say I purchase a 5 year, and then sell in two. What happens with the remaining three years? Do they transfer on the sale? Does the new owner have to pay another yearly fee on top of the subscription fee? Is the subscription fee just to keep the points active and then you also have to pay a yearly membership fee of 125? I’m confused
membership fee=subscription fee.
You have a choice. You could keep the membership until it expires or you re-up it (say you have more than one timeshare) or you could transfer it to the new owner. I think there may be a fee to transfer the remaining time. You may also be able to get a pro-rated refund based on what you paid but I don't know if that option is always offered.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
membership fee=subscription fee.
You have a choice. You could keep the membership until it expires or you re-up it (say you have more than one timeshare) or you could transfer it to the new owner. I think there may be a fee to transfer the remaining time. You may also be able to get a pro-rated refund based on what you paid but I don't know if that option is always offered.

So if I’m a new owner and I’m buying I have to pay 222. I assume I then have to pay for more years based on the chart? Again, the platinum membership is in addition to the subscription fee for how ever many years I renew for.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So if I’m a new owner and I’m buying I have to pay 222. I assume I then have to pay for more years based on the chart? Again, the platinum membership is in addition to the subscription fee for how ever many years I renew for.
If you don't have a current points membership and the current owner isn't transferring any of the time left on their membership, I think they only let you do the single year plus setup/transfer fee that is around$222. You would then have the option of purchasing more years based on the chart. Platinum is separate. They do prorate platinum so you may want to use your membership for 4-6 months and then add the platinum membership to see if it is worth it for you.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
If you don't have a current points membership and the current owner isn't transferring any of the time left on their membership, I think they only let you do the single year plus setup/transfer fee that is around$222. You would then have the option of purchasing more years based on the chart. Platinum is separate. They do prorate platinum so you may want to use your membership for 4-6 months and then add the platinum membership to see if it is worth it for you.
Excellent thank you. Yes I’ll be new to RCI and paid 222 for the set up. I know points aren’t transferring just 2020. I assume I have one year and then renew at however many years after. Thank you for explaining. I’ll probably wait until Jan to add platinum if I feel it’s worth it. I’ll have to do more research on what’s included to see if it’s worth it. If it helps achieve OGS easier or see inventory not yet released to weeks or points owners without platinum then I’d possibly do it

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

~Diane
Thank you again for your help, I'm thinking about getting out of my Bluegreen points and into RCI pts.

I saw in one of these links that with a points membership you can still reserve from the weeks membership inventory. It that is correct, how does it work?

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Yes I believe you can book from the weeks inventory but you wont be able to stay longer than 7 nights as far as I know. When we first started staying for longer than 7 nights an RCI rep (online chat) told me we could only pull inventory from the points resorts that allow for more than 7 night stays. I have found that inventory quickly diminishes as check-in time gets closer.

~Diane

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Does anyone have a newer RCI Points Guide? I found the 2023 online Affiliated Resorts directory, but it doesn't include point values. It also seems to be missing Hilton Grand Vacations and Hilton Vacations Club locations?

Last edited: