• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Points: finally a place I can exchange into that isn't Orlando or Disney and I LOVE

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Rick and I are staying in a 1 bed, 2 bath unit at Kahana Beach. We knew it would be nice. Our son stayed here and we have friends who own here. But this is by far the best exchange for Maui we have ever received.

I love Maui Lea at Maui Hill, and I love the Hono Koa resort we bought to get the oceanfront views. The Kahana Beach is a bit nicer on the interior than Hono Koa, and the one bedrooms are oceanfront and huge.

So we are staying here through II exchanges I happened to find sitting online last year. While here, I logged into RCI and saw in RCI Points at 10 months, two more weeks in a 1 bedroom unit for next August 20th-September 3rd.

Finally an exchange I can get through RCI that I can actually be excited about. It was 150,000 RCI points and $279 exchange fee, but worth it to us.

I highly recommend Kahana Beach to those who love oceanfront. The one bedrooms are guaranteed oceanfront because they are on the corner of the building, stacked one atop the other, all the way to the 12th floor. The unit quality is exceptional too.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Cindy

Do the units have A/C? I may look into Kahana Beach if I can pull off 3 weeks vacation again in 2019.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
22712533_10155252013208208_1572721834377572031_o.jpg

photo.php

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is AC here at Kahana Beach. :)

This was a good surprise for us because Hono Koa doesn't have it, and it's much needed on some hot days. I have survived some hot days at Hono Koa, but most have not been bad, until 22 months ago, when we had 98 degree temperatures for a couple of days straight. Miserable.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Thanks Cindy. I am a little surprised. It seems like a lot of resorts around there don't have it. We can survive without it but it sure is nice on some days. Enjoy!!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Amazing.
Sounds like a great trade!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There was a power failure of the entire island today, starting around 3 AM, I think. We didn't get our power back until about 3 hours ago. The power company got everything up and running as quickly as possible. The power failure was from a huge storm, lots of rain and lightning/thunder at bedtime last night. The storm took down power lines.

Buckets of rain fell overnight. The thunder was very loud. Such an interesting storm because we have never experienced that much rain on Maui.

The units on the ends of the buildings are next to open hallways and flooded some carpet and tile in the entryways. That just doesn't happen with a regular rain storm.

The woman who works the front desk was telling Rick that she and her husband took their big 4-wheel drive out in the rain late last night. They wanted to drive in the rain puddles. I guess one person's excitement is another person's fear. I would never do that!

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There was a power failure of the entire island today, starting around 3 AM, I think. We didn't get our power back until about 3 hours ago. The power company got everything up and running as quickly as possible. The power failure was from a huge storm, lots of rain and lightning/thunder at bedtime last night. The storm took down power lines.

Buckets of rain fell overnight. The thunder was very loud. Such an interesting storm because we have never experienced that much rain on Maui.

The units on the ends of the buildings are next to open hallways and flooded some carpet and tile in the entryways. That just doesn't happen with a regular rain storm.

The woman who works the front desk was telling Rick that she and her husband took their big 4-wheel drive out in the rain late last night. They wanted to drive in the rain puddles. I guess one person's excitement is another person's fear. I would never do that!

I’m glad you’re enjoying your Maui stay Cindy.

I agree I’d never drive in that much rain and especially through gigantic puddles.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are back, got back Saturday night, and we absolutely loved Kahana Beach. Even the studios have gorgeous views, but we felt very lucky to have the full one bedroom unit. I booked it again for next year. The studios have a sofa sleeper and a queen murphy bed. To me, those would be great for a single person or two singles. That bed looked tiny. The one bedroom has the king bed and the two bathrooms, and a full kitchen.

RCI has not been a great exchange company for me lately, but this is a resort I can really enjoy. I need to expand my travel focus a bit to work with RCI.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are back, got back Saturday night, and we absolutely loved Kahana Beach. Even the studios have gorgeous views, but we felt very lucky to have the full one bedroom unit. I booked it again for next year. The studios have a sofa sleeper and a queen murphy bed. To me, those would be great for a single person or two singles. That bed looked tiny. The one bedroom has the king bed and the two bathrooms, and a full kitchen.

RCI has not been a great exchange company for me lately, but this is a resort I can really enjoy. I need to expand my travel focus a bit to work with RCI.
I agree. I’m much more into II. I use RCI mainly for last minutes or extra vacations but I have a lot of points I need to use each year. I’m going to the Grandview using my points in Dec but it was only 36,000 points for the two bedroom since it’s way off season. I use it as a place to sleep because I go there to visit my sister in her assisted living place. My travel companions go to the strip everyday but I’m too busy with my sister to do that, not that I care about gambling.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this Kahana Beach Vacation Club, code KAH in II? I just want to make sure I understand... all 1BR units have ocean front views? Thanks!

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, that is it. And just an FYI, you are not going to get this or Sands of Kahana through RCI weeks. The only inventory is in points with RCI.

However, II has this resort pretty often. I have seen it several times and had to pass on it, regrettably. I see a lot more inventory for these Soleil-managed resorts in II with my Shell account. Every now and then, I will see 50 or more weeks banked for these Maui resorts through the Shell portal.

These units are not fancy. If you need fancy, you won't be happy here. It's clean, comfortable and has stellar views.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Clean comfy and a good view sounds great to me. A real plus to have two baths as well.

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
The studios are large, and most have full ocean front views, which is nicer than the one bedroom corner units’ view. On the downside they have partial kitchens and a Murphy bed. The resort pool is tiny, the parking lot is very small, and there isn’t much landscaping, just beach. Still, it’s closer to the ocean than 99% of oceanfront resorts, so that makes up for many of its deficiencies.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The studios are large, and most have full ocean front views, which is nicer than the one bedroom corner units’ view. On the downside they have partial kitchens and a Murphy bed. The resort pool is tiny, the parking lot is very small, and there isn’t much landscaping, just beach. Still, it’s closer to the ocean than 99% of oceanfront resorts, so that makes up for many of its deficiencies.
I find this acceptable as as I would combine a week here with a stay at the Marriott or Westin. Having such a great view is worth a lot to me as long as it is clean. You say " most" studios, while Cindy said ALL one bedrooms have a view. As an exchanger, I don't expect much so would likely go with the one bedroom to guarentee ocean view.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Apparently Polly has never stayed in a one bedroom. It's the studios on the north side of the resort that don't have quite the great views. Still good, but not great. You still get a bit of a view, even in those studios that are closer to the road.

All of the one bedrooms are stacked one atop the other. We were on the fifth floor of twelve floors.

Four studios are oceanfront on each floor. The one bedrooms have two lanais. The one bedrooms have the same exact view as the oceanfront studios because the one bedrooms are in the same row, no angles at all. The one bedrooms are twice the size and are the last two lanais in that long line. The ones facing Sands of Kahana angle away from the ocean, and those are the studios without the great views.

I would take a studio. I don't think Soleil Mgmt would ever put an exchanger in one of the units by the road. Soleil favors exchangers over owners. Sad but true. Our friends own there and had a unit by the road last year. They were disappointed but still had ocean view from the lanai. The ocean is big. :)

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Apparently Polly has never stayed in a one bedroom. It's the studios on the north side of the resort that don't have quite the great views. Still good, but not great. You still get a bit of a view, even in those studios that are closer to the road.

All of the one bedrooms are stacked one atop the other. We were on the fifth floor of twelve floors.

Four studios are oceanfront on each floor. The one bedrooms have two lanais. The one bedrooms have the same exact view as the oceanfront studios because the one bedrooms are in the same row, no angles at all. The one bedrooms are twice the size and are the last two lanais in that long line. The ones facing Sands of Kahana angle away from the ocean, and those are the studios without the great views.

I would take a studio. I don't think Soleil Mgmt would ever put an exchanger in one of the units by the road. Soleil favors exchangers over owners. Sad but true. Our friends own there and had a unit by the road last year. They were disappointed but still had ocean view from the lanai. The ocean is big. :)
What you said PLUS you are very very close to Kapalua and Merriman's

Polly Metallic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find this acceptable as as I would combine a week here with a stay at the Marriott or Westin. Having such a great view is worth a lot to me as long as it is clean. You say " most" studios, while Cindy said ALL one bedrooms have a view. As an exchanger, I don't expect much so would likely go with the one bedroom to guarentee ocean view.
“Most” being like 80% have full oceanfront and the rest have a side view more like the one bedrooms. To the best of my knowledge all have some view of the ocean due to the way the building is laid out.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kahana Beach Resort #C608
SC-ColorTinierIcon.png

Lahaina, Maui, HI USA

rating_4_2.png
61 Reviews

Price Range
USD 879.99 - USD 1039.99

12-Jan-2018 - 29-Dec-2018

Every week available for rent. 92 available. None for a weeks exchange.

Checked thru BG portal. Available at 10 months via points.

Last edited:

Polly Metallic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kahana Beach Resort #C608
SC-ColorTinierIcon.png

Lahaina, Maui, HI USA

rating_4_2.png
61 Reviews

Price Range
USD 879.99 - USD 1039.99

12-Jan-2018 - 29-Dec-2018

Every week available for rent. 92 available. None for a weeks exchange.

They get bulk deposits, or at least they did a few years ago, and I’ve seen inventory on both RCI and II. Check TripAdvisor for loads of pictures showing the view, (and the rest of the place too, of course.) When we were there we had concurrent weeks, with one non-overlapping day, at this resort and the Westin. Both were studios. Obviously, there was no comparison and we spent 90% of our time at the Westin. It was tough getting a parking space here, especially if you returned late in the day, and your car had better be small. We had a high floor oceanfront unit and it was like being on a cruise ship—all you could see was water. Many people spot sea turtles there. It was quiet and laid back compared to the Westin, but minimal place to lay out in the sun and the pool is tiny. They have cabana type lounge chairs on a narrow patio area, but the chairs were about twenty years old and kind of gross.

The place definitely has its redeeming qualities. I would stay there again. We only slept on the Murphy bed one night. It wasn’t great but it wasn’t too bad. The kitchen had two burners for cooking, if I remember right, and a compact fridge—not one of those under counter kinds. The thing I like about the Murphy bed style studio is that the unit is a living room/dining room all day and becomes a bedroom only when you need it, which is nicer than the studios that are basically a bedroom with a couch and a chair and feels more like you’re spending the day in a bedroom.