• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Points expiring 8/31/2018 -- Do I have to check-in by then? Check-out? Book?

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have some RCI Points that will expire on 8/31/2018. I'm not sure exactly what the expiration date means. Do I have to check-out by 8/31/2018? Check-in by 8/331/2018? Book by 8/31/2018?

Yeah, I could call RCI and ask. I bet people on TUG have a better idea, though.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Just book by 8/31. Can you extend them or have you already done that? If you aren't platinum and it is a lot of points it might be worth your while to pay to be platinum to be able to extend them longer. I remember one person posting that they talked to the RCI rep and got a cheap trial period offer to try platinum.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
My understanding has been that your points could be used for an exchange with a check-in date on or before the points' expiration date.

As with searching online with a deposit, the check-out date doesn't matter, only the check-in date matters. But I cannot find the reference for this with RCI. So if this is not correct, someone please correct me.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
My understanding has been that your points could be used for an exchange with a check-in date on or before the points' expiration date.

As with searching online with a deposit, the check-out date doesn't matter, only the check-in date matters. But I cannot find the reference for this with RCI. So if this is not correct, someone please correct me.

This may not be Wyndham weeks account deposit she is talking about. Especially since this isn't the Wyndham thread. I was assuming she has an RCI points account but am realizing she didn't make that clear.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. These are regular RCI Points, not Wyndham or HGVC or anything. I did refer to them as "RCI Points," both in my title and in my first post, and I'm not sure they have any other name. These are the ones that cost, say, 30,000 to 120,000 points to book a week in RCI, are available from multiple brands of resorts, and cost maybe 1.1 cents in MFs per point.

So, now that I've clarified what type of points these are, do I have to check-in, check-out, or book by 8/31? (Also, I've extended these points before, and cannot extend them again. I could use some of them to book some other sort of travel, but RCI seems to be giving only 0.7 cents per point if you do that, plus there's a fee of $25.)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You probably should join Platinum, as someone else said. Call and ask RCI if the Platinum membership would allow you to extend the points beyond the expiration date.

I think the RCI Points get better than that for car rentals, maybe close to 1 cent per point, but you can only use 1/2 of your allotment annual for car rentals and other travel needs. I have the Platinum membership because it allows me to use 1/2 and not just 1/3 of my points for things like car rentals.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I have some TPU's (weeks) points expiring at the end of this month. The system is not allowing me to extend them, and I always thought I could extend them over and over again, so I don't understand it at all. It's quite a few TPU's.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I have some TPU's (weeks) points expiring at the end of this month. The system is not allowing me to extend them, and I always I could extend them over and over again, so I don't understand it at all. It's quite a few TPU's.
Ugh. I hope that it's just a glitch and not a new "enhancement". Although why wouldn't they want to get more extension fees?

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Just book by 8/31. Can you extend them or have you already done that? If you aren't platinum and it is a lot of points it might be worth your while to pay to be platinum to be able to extend them longer. I remember one person posting that they talked to the RCI rep and got a cheap trial period offer to try platinum.
Do you have info about the RCI Platinum trial offer?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Do you have info about the RCI Platinum trial offer?

From what I understand weeks RCI members don't get all of the most worthwhile platinum benefits that points members get. Paying for platinum benefits might not be worth the money for a weeks owner. It has probably been a year ago now but someone posted that they got a 6 months trial platinum membership for I think $39. Don't know if RCI still offers them or if the price would be the same. If you have a weeks account and log into your RCI account you can see what the benefits are and the fees to be platinum. Don't know if it will show trial offers.

If you can find and post the platinum prices and benefits for RCI weeks owners it would be great for everyone to be able to compare them.

RCI PLATINUM® Benefits
Annual RCI Points Platinum Fees Total Cost (USD) Price Per
Year (USD)

RCI Points Platinum® 1 Yr $89
RCI Points Platinum® 2 Yrs $155 $77.50
RCI Points Platinum® 3 Yrs $221 $73.67
RCI Points Platinum® 4 Yrs $279 $69.75
RCI Points Platinum® 5 Yrs $322 $64.40

Platinum-Benefits-Tile-RentalDiscounts.png

10% Discount on Extra Vacations getaways and Last Call Vacations
Enjoy an additional 10% off all your Extra VacationsSMgetaways and Last CallSM Vacations — even those already on sale.*

RCI Platinum Points Extension
Get more time to enjoy your Points! As an RCI Platinum member, who is also an RCI Points® member, you are eligible to extend your unused Points for Two Use Years, as compared to standard RCI members who can extend their Points for only One Use Year, when they pay the same applicable fee. While extended Points expire at the end of a Third Use Year for standard RCI members, RCI Platinum members will enjoy a Fourth Use Year with no additional fee.

Free Ongoing Search
Can’t find the vacation you’re looking for right now? We’ll keep a lookout for you 24/7 and you won’t be charged your exchange fee until we find a match!

Platinum-Benefits-Tile-FreeOnHold.png

Free On-Hold Vacations
Not quite ready to book? We’ll hold your 7-night RCI Weeks®vacation for you without a fee while you iron out those last minute details.

Platinum-Benefits-Tile-GuestCertDiscount.png

25% discount on Guest Certificates
Receive a 25% discount on the purchase of Guest Certificates which you can share with family or friends! An RCI® Guest Certificate lets them experience a vacation at an RCI affiliated resort booked through your RCI account.

Platinum-Benefits-Tile-TravelConcierge.png

Travel Concierge
Receive access to the comfort, care, and attention of personal assistance coordinators available 24/7 to respond to your phone calls. Available services include restaurant reservations, event ticketing, ground transportation coordination, golf tee-time reservations, and more! Click here to view all available services. Please contact RCI directly (at 1.866.545.7205) to assist you with Exchange-related inquiries. To take advantage of your Travel Concierge services, call 1.866.557.3238 (domestic) or 715.342.2414 (International collect).1

Platinum-Benefits-Tile-TravelAssistance.png

24/7 Emergency Travel Assistance
Relax knowing you have access to dedicated around-the-clock travel counselors, just a phone call away to help solve last minute travel problems or to help with emergencies, such as flight or hotel re-booking, roadside assistance - assist only, or emergency travel return services. Click hereto view all available services. Please contact RCI directly (at 1.866.545.7205) to assist you with Exchange-related inquiries. To take advantage of your Emergency Travel benefits, call 1.866.557.3238 (domestic) or 715.342.2414(International collect).1

City Attractions
Save 20% off things to do when you travel with a Go City Card multi-attraction pass. Passes include admission to top attractions, tours, museums, and more in 11 popular destinations for one low price. Pay nothing at the gate. More choices, more savings.

Complimentary Unit Upgrades & Changes
Here’s how it works: when you book your confirmed Exchange vacation, you’ll have the opportunity to receive Complimentary Unit Upgrades and Resort Changes. Just let us know you’re interested in a unit upgrade or resort change. Within two weeks of check-in, if one of the resorts you’ve specified, or a bigger unit at your confirmed resort becomes available, we’ll change your reservation and provide you with the details.

Savings Dollars
Earn Savings Dollars on select RCI transactions you already do (like paying exchange fees and renewing your RCI®subscribing membership).Then it’s up to you how you redeem them – hotel stays, home electronics, fashion, wine (where legally available to ship), jewelry, sporting goods, dining certificates and more.*

Priority Access
Get exclusive access to exchange vacations at select hotels and resorts before they’re made available to standard RCI®subscribing members for exchange.

Platinum-Benefits-Tile-PlatinumPreviews.png

Platinum Previews
RCI Platinum members have first dibs on Extra VacationsSMgetaways sales! With RCI Platinum membership, see (and book) Extra Vacations getaways sales one day earlier than standard RCI members.

RCI® Points Partner Program
Make your Points go farther! RCI Platinum members, who are RCI Points members, can use more of their annual Points allocation when booking travel – 50% of your annual Points allotment, rather than 33% for standard RCI members.

Platinum Cruise Exchange
RCI Platinum members still receive an extra $25USD off per cabin towards the purchase of select cruises (and can enjoy this benefit on an unlimited number of cabins, so bring along the whole family!)

Platinum-Benefits-Tile-PriorityAnswer.png

Priority Answer
RCI Platinum members who call 1.866.545.7205 get quicker access to our knowledgeable guides. Enjoy fast answers from the RCI Platinum experts who are waiting to help you with your vacation planning!

Platinum-Benefits-Tile-FreePointsTransfers.png

Free Points Transfers
Know an RCI Points member that could use additional Points? Lucky them! Now RCI Platinum members no longer pay a Points transfer fee, so transfer away!

RCI Platinum® Guided Vacations
Looking to explore exotic locales? Or do you want to visit a new location in the U.S.? Either way, we’ve got a vacation tour for you! Plus, RCI Platinum members receive an extra $25USD per couple towards the purchase of select tours, as compared to standard RCI members.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Just book by 8/31.
I was assuming she has an RCI points account...
Agree, so was I. But I had thought the reservation had to have a "travel" (check-in) date on or before the points expiration date. Is this incorrect?

If her RCI Points expire on August 31, 2018, is she able to use them for a May 2019 (or up to 10 months after the booking date) RCI Points exchange, as long as she actually books it by August 31, 2018?

The only company that I've heard of doing things this way was WorldMark, not an exchange company. ??? :shrug: ???

I have some TPU's (weeks) points expiring at the end of this month. The system is not allowing me to extend them, and I always thought I could extend them over and over again, so I don't understand it at all. It's quite a few TPU's.
That's disappointing. A friend of ours said she was told she could only extend her TPUs (for a year) once as well. :mad:

Last edited:

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains

Are the deposits associated with an ongoing search? If so, I believe you will need to cancel the search before you will be allowed to combine on-line. An agent might be able to do it without losing your original search start date, but I've never ask.

Sheila

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses here. Platinum membership won't help, as I had Platinum before and extended the points then. RCI tells me I cannot extend these points any further.

I'm still not certain if I have to check-in, check-out, or book by 8/31/2018. I'm playing it safe, and assuming I have to check-out by then. Luckily, I saw a DVC SSR week sitting online for mid-August. I used my expiring points (plus some more, 68k total) to book it. So, Disney World, here I come!

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Judy, I had the same question for RCI when we had some points expiring in May. I went on RCI's on-line chat and I am fairly certain I had to check-in before our points expired, but our stay could extend past the end of the month. I was hoping I just needed to book buy the last day but RCI said no. I thought I had saved the chat for future reference but now I cant find it. I have used the online chat quite often and find the response time faster than phoning them and I can save the conversation (print version) for future reference - if I remember to do so!

~Diane

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can always combine deposits to extend them for a year.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Judy, I had the same question for RCI when we had some points expiring in May. I went on RCI's on-line chat and I am fairly certain I had to check-in before our points expired, but our stay could extend past the end of the month. I was hoping I just needed to book buy the last day but RCI said no. I thought I had saved the chat for future reference but now I cant find it. I have used the online chat quite often and find the response time faster than phoning them and I can save the conversation (print version) for future reference - if I remember to do so!

~Diane
Thanks, Diane!