TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

RCI Platinum is it worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Exchanging' started by silentg, Jul 9, 2018.

1. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Orange Lake, Holly Tree,Calini Beach, Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes, The Pines At Aspen East
    Hi TUGGers!
    We have been members of RCI for many years. Have been thinking of letting membership expire ( Jan2020). Was reading about the Platinum Membership sounds a bit better than regular RCI. Do any of you have this? Is it better than RCI? How much more does it cost?
    Thank you for any info, pro or con.
    Silentg

AwayWeGo likes this.
  2. Laurawilcox

Laurawilcox Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Pono kai, kaui
    I would first look at their policies. We are platinum members and it was no help when we tried to get an exchange that made sense for us. Lots of new fees and many weeks locked to cash payments instead of exchanges. Hilton Grands in Orlando $25 a day resort and some $18-24 for parking as well as point fees. I’m not sure of the value but don’t know how we’ll TUG works for exchanges. New here. We have Pono Kai in Kauai and lots of flexibility to weeks just don’t know how to swap them now.

3. missyrcrews

missyrcrews TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Cold Spring Resort
    I have it. We do several extra vacations through RCI. (4 or 5 a year...mostly purchased on sale, for long weekend use.) Platinum members get 10% off for those. And they get a 1 day "jump" on any sales. It is $89/year. I figure the 10% savings on the extra vacations makes it a wash for us. We are weeks members of RCI.

VanillaXtracts likes this.
  4. b2bailey

b2bailey TUG Member

In years past, Platinum afforded opportunities in random Hilton and Hyatt hotels. We booked Chicago, Washington DC and San Diego. That made it worth it for me. Rejoined again -- but never saw any of those again.

5. jackio

jackio Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HIVC Desert Club, Sand Pebble, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, Quarter House
    That was the reason I joined in the first place - they had the Affinia in NYC. After I joined, I never saw it, although I have seen Washington DC.
    They used to give good rebates, and I took advantage of them, but now they give you % off the combine fee and guest certificates. I don't know if it will be worth my while to renew when my membership is up.
    I do put in ongoing searches a lot, and you don't have to pay to initiate one with platinum. You can also hold a vacation without paying
    I did get a unit upgrade, just once, several years ago for being platinum. DVC SSR - we were upgraded from a 1BR to a 2BR, 2 weeks prior to check in.
    Now I think you can buy the upgrade option without platinum, but it is free with it.

silentg likes this.