• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Ongoing search question

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I have an EOYO week at Bay Club - 7000 pts/year. I saved my 2017 points into 2018. They were free points that I received when I bought the Bay Club unit and there was no way that I could use them in 2017. I just put an ongoing search in RCI for a specific resort for a 2019 stay. Will RCI use my saved points that expire in 2018, or my 2019 points? I would prefer to use the 2017 saved points - even if I need to pay - because we are planning to use our home resort week in 2019. Thanks for any help!

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Deleted... didn't realize I was in the Hilton forum and this was about Hilton points!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
They will not use saved points that expire in 2018 for a stay in 2019.
Your saved points have a hard-termination date of 12/31/18.

However
: You can deposit them into HGVC's RCI program (for a fee).
Depositing saved points to RCI allows them to be used for 2019.
Points deposited to RCI will be drawn before regular year points.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They will not use saved points that expire in 2018 for a stay in 2019.
Your saved points have a hard-termination date of 12/31/18.

However
: You can deposit them into HGVC's RCI program (for a fee).
Depositing saved points to RCI allows them to be used for 2019.
Points deposited to RCI will be drawn before regular year points.
Thanks for the reply. I will call HGVC today to see what I can finagle. We have too many weeks banked and they are all expiring in 2019 (first world problems for sure). I need to extend whatever I can, for as long as I can.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
Thanks for the reply. I will call HGVC today to see what I can finagle. We have too many weeks banked and they are all expiring in 2019 (first world problems for sure). I need to extend whatever I can, for as long as I can.
Once you have banked the points with RCI it is my understanding that you can pay to extend the bank each year indefinitely so as long as you are willing to pay, you can keep the points banked there.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Once you have banked the points with RCI it is my understanding that you can pay to extend the bank each year indefinitely so as long as you are willing to pay, you can keep the points banked there.

Yes, but the OP only needs the initial deposit to use them in 2019.
The Rules: "On or before December 31 of the current year, points previously deposited with RCI scheduled to expire at the end of the current year, may be extended for one additional year for use toward weekly or nightly exchange reservations in the following year for a fee." -- $129/Year.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FYI - I just got off the phone with HGVC. The rep *insisted* that they would use my saved points first if the exchange was filled during 2018 (even for a 2019 exchange). According to her, if the exchange request was still open towards the end of the year, she said that I would deposit to RCI then. Do I believe her? Is this covered somewhere in the HGVC rules? I'm embarrassed to admit that it never crossed my mind to look there since my brain processes this transaction as an RCI thing.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Hmmm, that's the opposite of what one poster says he was told last year... That his saved points could not be used for a RCI stay in following year, unless deposited to RCI first. The rules seem to be silent on this, but it's possible there's been a reinterpretation which says that a booking by 12/31 = use by 12/31. :shrug:

While your OGS is open, its a moot point as there's no need to do the deposit until you match. When you do, I suggest that call again to see whether you need to do a deposit or not. Note: You need to by 12/31 in any event, as otherwise, they disappear at Midnight.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hmmm, that's the opposite of what one poster says he was told last year... That his saved points could not be used for a RCI stay in following year, unless deposited to RCI first. The rules seem to be silent on this, but it's possible there's been a reinterpretation which says that a booking by 12/31 = use by 12/31. :shrug:

While your OGS is open, its a moot point as there's no need to do the deposit until you match. When you do, I suggest that call again to see whether you need to do a deposit or not. Note: You need to by 12/31 in any event, as otherwise, they disappear at Midnight.

We may have a more concrete data point soon. I found a week that we could use in Normandy (instead of Vincennes) so if my husband wants to do a week there then add a few days in Paris proper, I will probably book it.

I was a bit skeptical about the reps understanding of the rules because it was so different than what I expected to hear.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI - I just got off the phone with HGVC. The rep *insisted* that they would use my saved points first if the exchange was filled during 2018 (even for a 2019 exchange). According to her, if the exchange request was still open towards the end of the year, she said that I would deposit to RCI then. Do I believe her? Is this covered somewhere in the HGVC rules? I'm embarrassed to admit that it never crossed my mind to look there since my brain processes this transaction as an RCI thing.

That sounds right to me also - it is when the points are actually spent on the reservation that matters. And they try to use the oldest points first.

The issue is that if you make a 2019 reservation in 2018 with 2018 points, and then you cancel the reservation in 2019, you will lose the points. They MIGHT at that time let you pay to extend them - but I would think you have no guarantees. If you pay up front to extend them, as was previously suggested, you could avoid that situation.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Just so you folks know that I'm not making this up.
This poster tried to use 2016 saved points for a stay in 2017...
-------------------------------------------------------------
I called and was on hold for about the same amount of time. It appears they did deduct the points, but they did not deduct the SAVED points first (contrary to what I was told on the tug).

So apparently with RCI exchanges, when you book, they draw the oldest points that are *not* saved first. If you want to use saved points, you have to deposit them FIRST (pay the $84) and then book. The agent said they could deposit the points, give it a week or more to show up into RCI and then call back and they could "redo" the point bucket so that it'll put back my 2017 points and use the "now deposited" saved points.

hurnik, Dec 30, 2016
--------------------------------------------------------------

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is what I see on the "manage points" tab:

RCI Deposit
Deposit current-year ClubPoints or previously Saved ClubPoints into the RCI Exchange Program for future weekly and nightly RCI exchange reservations.

SOURCE POINTS
ClubPoints - 2018 7,000
Saved ClubPoints - 2018 0

I have an EOY odd contract. I saved my 7000 2017 points into 2018. Are those (saved points) my ClubPoints for 2018 referred to above? Why are those under ClubPoints instead of Saved Club points?

It looks like I will need to watch any transaction closely to make sure that things turn out the way that I want them to. The website seems to be very light on details with respect to RCI transactions.

Btw, is there any chance that the website is screwed up on this ownership? In addition to the odd presentation of points above, it looks like I could go through with a HHonors conversion if I wanted to, even though this is a resale contract. One of my Marriott contracts was similarly messed up the entire time that I owned it, so anything is possible.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Looks like they simply moved your ClubPoints from one year to the next.
If they messed up and classified your Saved points as ClubPoints, then...
of course they'd say you could use your points for a later-year RCI stay.

I wouldn't call 'em on it, just use 'em as such, and see what happens.
Maybe they'd even let you "save" 'em again, if need be.