• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI is skimming the best deposits for rentals

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Perhaps I worded my original post badly. It was not really about me and my situation. My example was offered as proof that RCI is skimming the best deposits for their rental pool, not as they would have us believe, just renting those deposits that (lie #1) would have gone unexchanged or (lie #2) had been deposited in exchange for a cruise. I have not personally seen my best deposits placed directly into RCI's rental pool before, while blue week deposits from the same resort go into the exchange pool.

Ouch!

I knew what you were trying to do, Judy. I don't know why the guys all chimed in like that. Do you think some of them are a little bitter? :rofl:

I would bet you have superior trading power for that week, if RCI can rent it for so much money. I think that area has to be one of the best exchanges out there.

dmbrand

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
Judy,
Posting your information is very helpful, thank you. These continued discussions on exchange companies may seem repetitive to some, but do help those of us still learning the ropes. And the subsequent posts are helpful as well, and mildly entertaining.:)

Now, do you suppose that RCI would pull that week out of rentals to fill a request in the future?

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
As for those people who might continue to business with RCI despite the fact that they feel they are getting ripped off, well .... I'm not sure how to respond if someone persists in doing something that leaves them worse off than if they did nothing at all.

While my tally of posts would suggest I'm still a newbie, we have timeshared for 25 years, owned three separate properties, currently one, and have been an interested observer of this site for some time before taking the initiative to join BBS. While we have growing frustration with our experience with RCI we have not switched primarily as we'd rather deal with the devil we know, and I suspect this may be the case with many other owners. And as we all know many owners are completely unaware of these issues and alternatives that exist...played tennis yesterday with a long time timeshare owner who was completely unaware of TUG BBS...but he was going to check it out last night! To RCI's credit and I'm am sure influencing our dealings with RCI is the way they came to our rescue twice over our years of exhanges, when we found ourselves checking into resorts that were wholly unacceptable. So for the time being we work with them as best we can.

Last edited:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another very important pro-active thing that people can do is when you hear that the period for comment on the RCI ''settlement'' is open again, then PLEASE send in an OBJECTION to the settlement and ask to OPT OUT of it. These numbers are the main thing getting the judge's attention that all is not well in RCI-land. Maybe we can force that case into a trial posture, and then force a REAL settlement out of RCI.

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would bet you have superior trading power for that week, if RCI can rent it for so much money. I think that area has to be one of the best exchanges out there.

My week used to be a tiger trader, but since the RCI "enhancements", it's lost about 20,000 exchange options. Now I'm wondering whether it's really a loss of trading power, or simply a result of RCI's moving more deposits into rentals. After all, if units are not available for exchange, you can have the highest trading power and still not be able to see them.

Perhaps the Outer Banks in summer is such a tough trade because most of those deposits are going into the rental pool.

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Now, do you suppose that RCI would pull that week out of rentals to fill a request in the future?

Sadly, no. After the RCI supervisor had given up lying to me (I think), I asked her whether an ongoing search, already in place, would have priority over the rental pool for a new deposit. She said "no". If they won't give a new deposit to an ongoing search already in place, IMHO they certainly won't pull anything out of the rental pool to fill a new request :( But if a rental doesn't sell, then I think they'll make it available for exchange at the last minute.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
My week used to be a tiger trader, but since the RCI "enhancements", it's lost about 20,000 exchange options. Now I'm wondering whether it's really a loss of trading power, or simply a result of RCI's moving more deposits into rentals. After all, if units are not available for exchange, you can have the highest trading power and still not be able to see them.

Perhaps the Outer Banks in summer is such a tough trade because most of those deposits are going into the rental pool.

I have been complaining about that myself, as you know. I am so angry with RCI, and because they are doing this to our weeks, they will go elsewhere. I was bitter, but I am getting over it. These other alternate exchange companies deserve a chance to have our weeks. I purposely bought prime summer weeks, for exchange power, which used to be great with RCI. Now it just isn't anymore. I accept it, but I know what I have to do.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score

From the experience of a number of regular RCI searchers at Timeshareforums, the conclusion is that 10-20K weeks simply vanished in the disenhancements. The thread is at

www.timeshareforums.com/forums/rci/93191-how-big-yours.html

The interesting discussion starts at the top of page 3.

Last edited: