• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RC Residences breaks ground in Portland - $600M 35 story tower

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks for sharing this news. It would be great if we have access to some of the residences through the DC program. We will have to wait and see.

Best regards.

Mike

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
https://news.marriott.com/2019/06/m...to-portland-pacific-northwest-for-first-time/

The Mayor, Marriott, and developers broke ground last Friday. The Mayor said he was very happy that the $600M 35-story tower would bring affordability to Portland.

The development is a mixed-use development, with 138 residences (condos).. Assume these will somehow be available via Bonvoy and/or DC Points??

Besides it being a 'vacant space' on the MVC/RC map, I struggle to understand why Portland? My last visit there was underwhelming, other than a strong food truck scene. Extremely high rates of vagrancy and panhandling (which was a real downer from a tourism standpoint), not to mention a strong Antifa presence. I guess I must be missing something. As far as filling 'vacant space' geographically, I would have leaned more toward Seattle than Portland as far as putting a pin in that part of the MVC/RC map, but that's just me.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
https://news.marriott.com/2019/06/m...to-portland-pacific-northwest-for-first-time/

The Mayor, Marriott, and developers broke ground last Friday. The Mayor said he was very happy that the $600M 35-story tower would bring affordability to Portland.

The development is a mixed-use development, with 138 residences (condos).. Assume these will somehow be available via Bonvoy and/or DC Points??

There was no quote from the mayor in that release - did he really say he was excited for the affordability of a Ritz Carlton? That doesn't sound right to me...

Given this is a Marriott International full ownership and hotel project, I doubt it will be available with DC points. Maybe if there are a few unsold units at the end VAC could buy them and put them in the trust, but I doubt they would find that cost effective. There is a hotel portion, so bonvoy points will be useable there.

Wei339

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko olina
Besides it being a 'vacant space' on the MVC/RC map, I struggle to understand why Portland? My last visit there was underwhelming, other than a strong food truck scene. Extremely high rates of vagrancy and panhandling (which was a real downer from a tourism standpoint), not to mention a strong Antifa presence. I guess I must be missing something. As far as filling 'vacant space' geographically, I would have leaned more toward Seattle than Portland as far as putting a pin in that part of the MVC/RC map, but that's just me.
I totally agree with your comments. I stay usually at the Residence Inn Pearl District.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC

I agree
We are actually in Seattle now and although they have their issue as well, there seems to be less of it. At least what we have noticed or just where we’ve been so far??

Portland is beginning to look a lot like LA

My guess is that the city is forking over a lot of perks to the developers such as discounted land ( maybe even free?? ) and tax cuts etc to get this done

To clean up an area you have to start somewhere and maybe this is their long term plan??

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

DITTO, who visits Portland? or Seattle, or Alaska??? All too close to Russia, I heard.

Only if you have family that somehow got lost and were found on the doorsteps of
one of those big unheard-of companies.......like Amazon, Starbucks, Boeing, Costco, Nike....whatever.....or THA (aka Tree Huggers Anonymous).
Even Sherlock Holmes, as hard as he looked, could never find a carbon footprint anywhere.

So the Mayor says "Now Portland will have affordability".
Great, worth every penny, as "Room with a View" has no meaning there. ;) ;)

Last edited:

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting if you try to find something comparable to a Vacation Club project, at least in terms of size. My thoughts were Paul Anka's old site, now the Grand Chateau which was a 33 story tower that costs $300M in 2003. Prime Vegas strip is 1/2 the price of PDX!? :)

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Simple answer for those of you who don't want to go to Portland - Don't go there. There will be plenty of people who do.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Simple answer for those of you who don't want to go to Portland - Don't go there. There will be plenty of people who do.

They must be loading up on those GREAT Oregon wines....world-class Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris, etc.
Now, I would go there to make the rounds at the wineries.

"Life in Oregon is a state of wine"........uhhhh, mind. o_O

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I'm not saying don't go to Portland. It's just not one of the first places I think of when planning my vacations. I can think of plenty of other 'touristy' destinations where there is no vacation club presence, that I would definitely consider going to (especially interior US), including national/cultural landmarks (Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Niagara Falls, Mount Rushmore, Nashville aka Music City USA, etc.) or destination locations for East Coast snow skiing, hiking, caving, etc. (not the same as West Coast I know but doesn't require flying). May never happen, but a guy can dream.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I'm not saying don't go to Portland. It's just not one of the first places I think of when planning my vacations. I can think of plenty of other 'touristy' destinations where there is no vacation club presence, that I would definitely consider going to (especially interior US), including national/cultural landmarks (Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Niagara Falls, Mount Rushmore, Nashville aka Music City USA, etc.) or destination locations for East Coast snow skiing, hiking, caving, etc. (not the same as West Coast I know but doesn't require flying). May never happen, but a guy can dream.

Why are several questioning this and stating their comments as if this were a vacation club? It is not.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why are several questioning this and stating their comments as if this were a vacation club? It is not.

While this new property may not be one, at least some of the Ritz Carlton Residences and Destination Club (RCRDC) properties are available for booking by Marriott Destination Club members. Looking in my owner account, I see 5 RCRDC locations that I can reserve.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
While this new property may not be one, at least some of the Ritz Carlton Residences and Destination Club (RCRDC) properties are available for booking by Marriott Destination Club members. Looking in my owner account, I see 5 RCRDC locations that I can reserve.

My impression was the "Club" properties are the ones where we can use points. I was always under the impression the "Residences" are a different animal.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My impression was the "Club" properties are the ones where we can use points. I was always under the impression the "Residences" are a different animal.

Could be, although the RC property in San Francisco is showing on the MVCI website as the 'Ritz Carlton Club and Residences'. When I do a random search, it shows up to 2BR units available with floor plans and square footage similar to other MVCI locations.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Could be, although the RC property in San Francisco is showing on the MVCI website as the 'Ritz Carlton Club and Residences'. When I do a random search, it shows up to 2BR units available with floor plans and square footage similar to other MVCI locations.

My impression is the "Club" are the places where they sold fractionals, whereas the "Residences" are full-ownership. Maybe some locations have a mix of both, and SF may be one of those. Again, that is my understanding, and I may be incorrect because I've never studied the Ritz programs closely, since as lowly Standard Owners, we can't book there until 6 months out, and when I've shopped, there's nothing much.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

But if you look online, the official name of the San Francisco property is the Ritz-Carlton Destination Club - San Francisco.

https://www.ritzcarltonclub.com/ritz-carlton-luxury-resorts/san-francisco-luxury-resort.shtml

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My impression is the "Club" are the places where they sold fractionals, whereas the "Residences" are full-ownership. Maybe some locations have a mix of both, and SF may be one of those. Again, that is my understanding, and I may be incorrect because I've never studied the Ritz programs closely, since as lowly Standard Owners, we can't book there until 6 months out, and when I've shopped, there's nothing much.

Same here. I've never stayed at one or researched them significantly.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
May just be a scrivener's error in how MVCI has it listed on their website.

San Francisco is listed as Ritz Carlton Club and Residences in Marriott Vacation Club's points book as well (the paper copy). All of the others are just Ritz Carlton Club. So, not sure what the differences mean, but it was always my impression that the only properties that played in the DC system were the fractionals, not the whole-ownership units. Maybe SFO has both. Maybe an RCC owner will see this thread and clear it all up.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

Based on the Ritz website. The Residences are full ownership units with high end management:

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/residences

The Club is fractional / Timeshare units:

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/destination-club

My guess is that the San Francisco location must have a mix of both types of units.

Based on what i have read, i don't think we should expect to book the Portland location with points.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Ritz San Francisco does have both. When we checked in using DC points, they told us approx 75% of their units are permanent residences. In fact they have a separate elevator for the residences.