TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Rayburn Country Club Resort

Discussion in 'US - Central States Timesharing' started by CMVer, Oct 23, 2019.

1. CMVer

CMVer TUG Member

Just received an email from RCI Points stating that this resort has been suspended from the RCI system. I had already planned to NOT pay my maintenance fees this year, but this is more ammunition for them to fold or offer deed backs. Anyone else get this email? I'm sure there are other owners out there since, at one time, Rayburn was an economical way to get into RCI points and then add points to the RCI account using points for deposit.

2. KACTravels

KACTravels TUG Member

Yes, I received it as well.

Dear RCI Member:

We are writing to you regarding your Vacation Ownership at Rayburn Country Club Resort in Brookeland, Texas (the “Resort”). This letter is to inform you that, effective immediately, the Resort has been placed in a suspension status due to quality issues, which temporarily prohibits the Resort from participating in the RCI Exchange Programs. Accordingly, RCI will no longer accept additional inventory from the Resort until further notice.

Please note that any RCI Points allotments associated with inventory prior to November 2019 that have been allocated to your RCI account are unaffected by this suspension. However, RCI Points associated with inventory starting November 2019 and beyond will no longer be allocated to your account, or, if any such unused Points have already been allocated to your account, they will be removed from your RCI account and will no longer be available for use until further notice. In addition, any unused inventory starting November 2019 and beyond will be returned to the Resort. If, however, previously allocated RCI Points associated with inventory starting November 2019 and beyond have already been used by you to reserve an upcoming RCI vacation, you may retain that vacation provided that your RCI membership is current and you remain in compliance with the Terms and Conditions of RCI Points Subscribing Membership through the start date of the vacation.

Please know that if you participate in an RCI Exchange Program through your Vacation Ownership at other RCI Affiliated Resorts, such participation will not be affected by the Suspension of the Resort provided your RCI subscription in that Exchange Program remains active and you remain a Member in good standing.

Please be assured that we are working with Rayburn Country Club and hope that your exchange privileges may be restored as soon as possible. Should you have any questions regarding your RCI membership, please contact an RCI Guide at (877) 968-7476. Should you have specific questions regarding the Resort or the suspension of the Resort, please contact the Resort directly at (409) 698-9248.

We hope to have the opportunity to continue offering you the best leisure travel services available.

Sincerely,

Shelia Flatt
    Director, Customer Care – RCI Exchanges
    Ref. #933987

3. KACTravels

KACTravels TUG Member

I just received a letter in the mail with the following:

Dear Rayburn Country Timeshare Owner,
    During the past three years we have had to foreclose more than 500 weeks of timeshared ownership and we presently have nearly 300 weeks in line for foreclosure. We have been reduced to only enough paying owners to support about 20 condos. We have 45 condos in our Timeshare Association! We cannot afford to pay taxes, condo dues, HOA dues, insurance, utilities, etc. on 45 condos from the maintenance fees that we receive which equate to essentially pay the bills for 20 condos. We have tried to reduce the number of condos but have not been able to get the cooperation from owners to get this done.
    R.C.I. continues to pump people into these units which causes us to do extensive maid service, maintenance, etc. and we receive no funds from these R.C.I. rentals. They make all of the money, we do all the work and we receive nothing in return. It is just one of the inequities of the timeshare Business and especially in these old rundown facilities.
    At the end of the day, we see no alternative but to file bankruptcy. We are hopeful that the bankruptcy court will approve a workout plan which will allow us to continue to operate with 20 to 25 condos and allow us to sell 20 to 25. The reality is that the court may decide that we just need to liquidate and sell all of the assets and pay off all the creditors. In any event, we will begin the process and work through the system until there is a resolution one way or the other.
    Please remember, we only have one person in our office and to try to return hundreds of phone calls will take months. My limited experience with Bankruptcy courts is that you as creditors will receive updates as we move through this process and will have some input although I do not know how much.
    Very Sincerely Yours,
    C....P....

4. chazpbg

chazpbg TUG Member

Maybe this is the best thing that could happen. I was ready to foreclose and was worried about legal action that arise from that -- I'm guessing this will be a non-issue. But I do have a few questions:

1) Will Rayburn try to collect MFs for 2020? I can't imagine they would, but they did say in their letter that process could drag out... I hope they're not planning on us paying fees during this process.

2) I obviously received points for 2019 (and paid my maintenance fees). The RCI email sounds as if those would be good presuming this is all prior to Nov. 2019, but do our annual points correspond to actual weeks on the calendar? (If so, I'd hate to think my week would was post Nov. 1...).

3) My other timeshare ownership, as I'm sure is the case with many Rayburn owners, is a South Africa week. I purchased Rayburn just so I could transfer my SA week into points (and not pay much for a US points week to do so -- Rayburn was a helluva deal at the time, but I guess you get what you pay for!). I wonder if I can continue to do the points for deposit thing -- I've paid for RCI points membership through 2024 -- even if my only points week is now suspended (and may go defunct). Obviously, I can keep the RCI week within the weeks system, but it has so little value there. For that matter can I renew my RCI points membership in perpetuity if Rayburn is no more?

4) On the other hand, if Rayburn is kaput and I want to ditch my South Africa week, I wonder how easy it is of late to do a deedback? I did one with a South Africa week ages ago, but not sure what the latest deal is... It's a Falcon Glen week (believe it's part of Beekman/VMS).

5. KACTravels

KACTravels TUG Member

All good questions. I thought this part was interesting “you as creditors will receive updates as we move through this process and will have some input”. If they have to liquidate, do we get a piece of the proceeds recovered if there is any left after paying off any other debts? Not that it matters, I’m kinda sad, because we enjoyed our point exchanges at RCI. I also a prepaid as a member of RCI until 2022 and will use for Extra and Last Call vacations as long as we can.

6. bogey21

bogey21 TUG Member

This letter read in its entirety clearly explains the dilemma Independent TimeShare Associations face. It doesn't really matter whether they get back the Weeks via Deed Backs or foreclosure. The result is the same....

George

KACTravels likes this.
  7. chazpbg

chazpbg TUG Member

Got a little more clarity today from calling resort and RCI. So I just know that I had points from resort, but didn't know they corresponded to an actual week -- they do indeed. I spoke with woman at resort (very helpful!) and she looked up my week and said it was in late August, so I believe it won't be affected by the fact resort is essentially defunct as of now. I suspect if you had a week in November/December 2019 that you paid for and got points, RCI may be taking those points back (but not really certain how this works). RCI told me that my points membership is as good as long as I have it paid for, which means I can do weeks for points through that time. RCI also told me that when it's time for membership renewal -- in my case 2024 -- they won't let me renew as a points member, however. (So, I can't do weeks for points, which essentially makes my South Africa timeshare worthless to me -- its TPU value is very low and I prefer the points system anyhow.) Woman at resort said that as far as she knew, resort would not be sending out notices for paying 2020 dues -- it sounded as if this place is closing for good (but she indicated she was relatively new and didn't have a full idea). She said if the notices were going out, she'd have to preparing them by now and that wasn't happening. I can't imagine anyone would pay dues anyhow -- well, anyone who valued RCI points wouldn't. I wonder if they are able to get the place through this bankruptcy if they could come at you for past dues, but something tells me this isn't coming back in any shape or form. Like I say, it may be a blessing for some of us...